Samsung S21 Ultra software issue causing crashes
4139 19 2021-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

So.... a while ago I was posting that my drone went and drove itself randomly into a rock facade and into icy waters.  We went back and forth about who's fault it was.... I ended up purchasing another unit....Turns out I am seeing that because I upgraded my phone in February to the S21 ultra, Samsung's flagship phone, it may or may not have an issue with working.  I mean...it's Samsung's flagship phone.  I am not purchasing a cheap phone to fly this drone when all that is needed is DJI provide a software update.  This would never happen with an Apple nor in 3 years this won't still be the case.  What's the deal here....

Thanks.

Mark
2021-4-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mark. I am sorry for the trouble the has caused and thank you for reaching out. Upon checking the said mobile device ( Samsung S21 Ultra ) that your are trying to use on your DJI Mavic Mini and with the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said drone and with the said application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini and with the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the Samsung S21 Ultra will be able to work on the DJI Mavic Mini and with the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it on the DJI Mavic Mini. For reference, I will post a link where in you can check the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Mini ( https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads ).  Rest assured that DJI is continuously testing multiple mobile devices to be added on the recommended mobile device list for different DJI Drone and for the DJI Fly application. Again I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2021-4-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It is easy for DJI to write software for iOS, as there is only one version to deal with. With Android however, there are dozens of different phones and each manufacturer tweaks the Android operating system to have it perform best with their phone. But DJI must put out a software version for Android that suits all phones, so it is near impossible to make a single set of firmware that suits every Android phone.
2021-4-21
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 4-21 22:29
It is easy for DJI to write software for iOS, as there is only one version to deal with. With Android however, there are dozens of different phones and each manufacturer tweaks the Android operating system to have it perform best with their phone. But DJI must put out a software version for Android that suits all phones, so it is near impossible to make a single set of firmware that suits every Android phone.

That's fair.... But it's my understanding that every other phone but the best one for Samsung is compatible with these drones... And the one thing DJI does best is try and come out with new drones 4 times a year... If they are constantly attempting to get us to upgrade, it's only fair they keep up with the best from the number 2 company.   
2021-4-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

chefMark Posted at 4-22 02:37
That's fair.... But it's my understanding that every other phone but the best one for Samsung is compatible with these drones... And the one thing DJI does best is try and come out with new drones 4 times a year... If they are constantly attempting to get us to upgrade, it's only fair they keep up with the best from the number 2 company.

Why use a flagship phone for drone flying....

Just buy a cheap working big screen size Android phone dedicated for drone flying!

I have now for 3 years a Xiaomi Max2 (large screen on android 7) and it works always for the GO4 app and FlyApp.

PS  so you can answer your flagship phone for incoming important calls...while flyingyour drone

cheers
JJB

cheers
JJB
2021-4-22
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

I take my drone on trips... I hike with it... The last thing I want is another phone and another thing to deal with.... I'm also still bitter I didn't know this and just paid 250 bucks to replace a drone cause I'm new at this and didn't think that when I upgraded my phone, it caused my drone to crash....  It's infuriating.
2021-4-22
Use props
djiuser_0PMhI4X3liwU
lvl.2
Flight distance : 948816 ft
United Kingdom

I can add my frustration to this. I fly using honor 9 which is on DJI list of supported phones.
I get regular app crashes. Tried everything... reinstall the app, stop background processes etc.
The phone works flawlessly with DJI Go with my Mavic 2 Pro.
Something about the Fly app ☹️
2021-4-22
Use props
djiuser_0PMhI4X3liwU
lvl.2
Flight distance : 948816 ft
United Kingdom

☹️
2021-4-22
Use props
djiuser_8fLYo5fiNwPj
New

Germany

Hello, I also have the S21 Ultra (with Exynos processor, EU variant). But I already have the problem that I get no live image from the camera of the Mini in the DJI Fly app - it is just a black screen. I assume that this works for you and only the app crashes ?

May I ask which DJI Fly version you have installed on your S21 Ultra ? I have the current 1.4.0 - and of course all firmware updates installed.

2021-4-23
Use props
fansa5f1a2d1
lvl.1

Argentina

same problem... hope this manage to make this work, i hate to have to buy a new device
2021-4-23
Use props
djiuser_a4qey2dAtK8e
New

United States

I now have the black screen on the dji fly app, v. 1.4.0, with a US Snapdragon processor. Everything worked fine 2 weeks ago. Now, my Mini and S21 Ultra won't work together. Don't tell me to get another device, just to use my 4 month old drone. That is a lousy business plan, DJI. Just fix the problem.
2021-4-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_a4qey2dAtK8e Posted at 4-24 17:02
I now have the black screen on the dji fly app, v. 1.4.0, with a US Snapdragon processor. Everything worked fine 2 weeks ago. Now, my Mini and S21 Ultra won't work together. Don't tell me to get another device, just to use my 4 month old drone. That is a lousy business plan, DJI. Just fix the problem.

Why not ask Samsung to fix their phone? What makes you think it is DJI's fault?
2021-4-24
Use props
chefMark
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 4-24 17:10
Why not ask Samsung to fix their phone? What makes you think it is DJI's fault?

Talked to samsung... They said they have no control over 3rd party software
I don't see why we aren't just pressing dji to just update our.... I mean.. Come on... DJI wants you to upgrade constantly.... They need to at least be on par with the lastest main phone besides an apple.
2021-4-25
Use props
ghundermark
New
Flight distance : 246 ft
United States

djiuser_a4qey2dAtK8e Posted at 4-24 17:02
I now have the black screen on the dji fly app, v. 1.4.0, with a US Snapdragon processor. Everything worked fine 2 weeks ago. Now, my Mini and S21 Ultra won't work together. Don't tell me to get another device, just to use my 4 month old drone. That is a lousy business plan, DJI. Just fix the problem.

Chiming in here to share your frustration as I am having the exact same issue
2021-4-25
Use props
djiuser_vj620AbUXggb
New

Hungary

ghundermark Posted at 4-25 11:05
Chiming in here to share your frustration as I am having the exact same issue

I have the same issue... I commented on the Google Play as well but no reaction from DJI ...
This is not a  produc support for a 1500 eur product Mavic Pro 2
So DjI please do somthing !!! To convince me to buy your product next time again
Thanks
2021-8-22
Use props
Ironian
lvl.1
Flight distance : 255121 ft
United Kingdom

Same here, black screen with new mavic 3 on galaxy s21 ultra, also issues with ipad mini, ipad mini with fly app is only giving jpg, 4k 30fps and 1080 30fps no choices for d-log or anything else, has anyone had that problem?
2021-11-27
Use props
John_in_NC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4360 ft
United States

mine was working yesterday, the phone got a software update this morning, after that I could not run the app.
2021-12-6
Use props
djiuser_ZcnPDhny6oGW
New

Germany

Hi,
I have s21 ultra and I have recently bought a DJI mini 2 and it's terrible that I can't run the DJI Fly app on my phone, it keeps closing ...
DJI should publish a bug fix update for this very soon.
2021-12-18
Use props
CplMulder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2352 ft
United Kingdom

Man this is so frustrating... DJI need to get their story together. There is no excuse for not supporting newer models of Android... I have been developing Android software for many years and the implementation details of specific models is well hidden behind abstracted layers... it is not that big a deal. I also speak from a position of experience as I have done loads of development on drone/uav software and ground control systems. (I've also just started on a "big drone" / UAV/UAS team as my main day job)… not being able to use my "top-of-the-line" S21 Ultra phone is crazy.... it is not like it does not have the power or resources to support the functionality. DJI need to put their hand in their pockets and employ some descent Android developers to fix this issue (this is not the first time it has happened for a new phone model) - just smacks of their general attitude to their users and reminds me of the frustration when two of my batteries came up with an error at the same time within 1 week of my warranty expiring (con-incidence perhaps but statistically improbable)… ok rant over, now to look for an old phone somewhere.
2021-12-31
Use props
djiuser_E6vRvbAyRcrw
New

New Zealand

So DJI what happens if a new customer wants to buy a drone are you going to tell them their latest Samsung is not compatible??
I'm sure they will be very confused
2022-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules