Buy now or wait till next gen FAA approved drones?
696 6 2021-4-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike90210
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1183556 ft
United States

wow, watching this video about the new FAA rules about drones and skin laceration, it makes me almost want to postpone my purchase of the Air 2S and wait till the next generation of FAA approved drones with propeller guards & parachutes!

Please talk me into upgrading form a mini 2 to a 2S #NOW !!!

2021-4-21
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Well, thousands of people get killed and heavily injured each year by cars/motorbikes/bycicles/quads/tractors, etc... but the bad guys are allways the ones that fly little RC quadcopters that haven't killed anyone in the globe yet.

The fact is flying drones is one of the safest hobbies worldwide, but it's heavily criminalized because Amazon, FedEx, UPS, etc, want to operate autonomous BVLOS drones on the 0-120m airspace and want to buy chunks of it (hence, the remote ID, ADS-B and so on).

Just a few years ago nobody gave a f. about RC planes and copters, now on the sudden they realized you can put a camera on it and we became the bad ones... You need less permits to buy a gun than to fly a drone.

PS: So you need a parachute and prop guards to fly a Mini 2 over people in USA?... LOL, I can't complain on Europe current regulations then, I can fly a Mini 2 over uninvolved people (but not crowds) just by registering as an operator (for free in my country). I already passed the exams of all the permits I could A1/A3, A2 and STS and have a third-party insurance for any drone I could fly (17€ per year).
2021-4-21
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 4-21 17:30
Well, thousands of people get killed and heavily injured each year by cars/motorbikes/bycicles/quads/tractors, etc... but the bad guys are allways the ones that fly little RC quadcopters that haven't killed anyone in the globe yet.

The fact is flying drones is one of the safest hobbies worldwide, but it's heavily criminalized because Amazon, FedEx, UPS, etc, want to operate autonomous BVLOS drones on the 0-120m airspace and want to buy it (hence, the remote ID, ADS-B and so on).

How true:  "You need less permits to buy a gun than to fly a drone."
2021-4-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

How about if you buy a gun that is also a drone....hmmmm might be a loophole there. DJI Mavic AR15 ;-)
2021-4-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

it makes me almost want to postpone my purchase of the Air 2S and wait till the next generation of FAA approved drones with propeller guards & parachutes!
You realise that these rules are for commercial flyers and to fly over people they use expensive custom modified drones, not stock consumer drones?
2021-4-21
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
United States

Yes, as a recreational pilot who doesn't want to injure anyone,  after watching the video of props slashing through simulated skin, I was just hoping (and wondering) if the next round of drones would all have integrated prop guards.

2021-4-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mike90210 Posted at 4-22 02:09
Yes, as a recreational pilot who doesn't want to injure anyone,  after watching the video of props slashing through simulated skin, I was just hoping (and wondering) if the next round of drones would all have integrated prop guards.

Prop guards are a pain in the neck.
They increase windage, reduce the drone's performace, make it slower and less able to deal with wind.
Generally, if you think propguards are the answer, flying somewhere else would be a better answer.

The simple way to ensure you don't injure someone is to avoid flying around people.
2021-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules