Is AirSense worthwhile? (Or just high flying false alarms?)
789 7 2021-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike90210
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1183556 ft
United States

One reason I'm entertaining an upgrade to a drone that has AirSense is to be notified of low-flying tourist helicoptors.
However, from what I've read, AirSense doesn't communicate altitude so I'm concerned I'm going to get panic'd notifications of airplanes that are 30,000 feet overhead.

Thoughts?

Thx
Mike
2021-4-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mike. Good day and thank you for posting these information you have posted. The DJI AirSense is an alert system that uses ADS-B technology to give drone pilots enhanced situational awareness and help them make responsible decisions while flying. This feature gathers flight data sent automatically from nearby aircraft with ADS-B transmitters, analyzing it to detect potential collision risks and alert users well in advance through the DJI mobile application. For reference I will post a DJI link where in you can read more about the DJI AirSense ( https://www.dji.com/flysafe/airsense ). Thank you.
2021-4-22
Use props
Macinfo
lvl.3
United States

I do not believe that ADB will note high flying AC.   I have had it notify me on some flights and I was able to hear or see the AC that was giving me the alert.  Which is probably what you want.
2021-4-22
Use props
djiuser_iIva2eqYKz1o
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284843 ft
United States

ADS-B is worth the upgrade. I fly within the controlled airspace of one very busy international airport and a smaller airport. It is very helpful and the ADS-B system picks up the planes and displays them on the screen. If I’m flying over 100ft I quickly bring it my uas below 100ft.
2021-4-22
Use props
jdelamater
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17064 ft
United States

I live in fairly close proximity to about 4 airports, 2 of which are class D and within 3SM. A 3rd class D is about 10SM and a *very* busy class B about 15SM away. I never receive notifications from the Class B airport, as they are already sufficiently high by the time aircraft reach my area. Same thing for the farther away class D, but the two closer class D airports will occasionally trigger a yellow caution alert on the screen.

One time I was flying at my parents house, who are about 10SM from the nearest airport and got red caution alert for manned aircraft in the area, and I'm not sure what this guy was doing, as he wasn't in any of the flight paths for the runway and was still miles off, but he was below 1000'. I wasn't concerned about my drone being near him, as I was changing the battery at the time, but the app gave some audible beeps, and when I looked at it, there was a giant red airplane on the map as it flew overhead.

Point of all that is, maintaining VLOS is important, but ADS-B system is a nice backup if for some reason a manned aircraft ends up getting near you without you noticing. Its just an extra layer of notification to help keep you informed.
2021-4-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

if it is working in your area and the aircraft are using it, you'll quickly find it is one of the best features of your drone and once you have it, you'll miss it.  i fly other drones without this feature and on occasion, i have been known to "use" 2 drones at the same time just so i can get the warnings.  i'm pretty sure i can fly perfectly fine without it and i've never had a close encounter before and i've never had a "save" but still, i keep getting this picture in my mind of a mid-air collision and my poor drone getting clipped as i watch it spiral out of control on the display.  and you hear that familiar sound when you know your drone is completely destroyed.  it will be your fault...because it's always the drone fault...regardless.

if a pilot claims damage, you could be on the hook $$$,$$$..... /s
eta:  i try to fly vlos but i hate that feeling when you flying blind....
2021-4-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

One reason I'm entertaining an upgrade to a drone that has AirSense is to be notified of low-flying tourist helicopters.
Many aircraft are not required to have/use ADS-B and most are the low flying ones, so Airsense might not be much use anyway.
Install a Flightradar24 app on your phone and use that to see how much of your local low-flying traffic has/hasn't got ADS-B.
2021-4-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 fo Flightradar24 I use it all the time for this.   But a small warning,  it can get addictive checking what the plans are.
2021-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules