First path and orbit with Dronelink
1669 32 2021-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JimDandy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United States

This is a video I shot last weekend with Dronelink and The Mavic air 2. My first try at imovie as well. Hope you enjoy it.

2021-4-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

pretty impressive.  do you know if 2s will be added quickly?
2021-4-22
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great test path & orbit on DroneLink JimDandy!!

@The Saint-- Air 2S (and Mini2) not supported yet, I think they're waiting on DJI to update their SDK for it.

2021-4-22
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Nicely done, and thanks for the great history lesson.  I really enjoy drone documentary pieces.
2021-4-22
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 4-22 12:16
pretty impressive.  do you know if 2s will be added quickly?

Thanks The Saint, As for the 2s It is up to DJI to release the SDK As RobZilla said. Could be a few months. There are folks waiting for the Mini 2 to be released for Dronelink to add to the list of craft that will be compatible. Thanks for your feedback.
2021-4-22
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

RobZilla Posted at 4-22 12:28
Great test path & orbit on DroneLink JimDandy!!

@The Saint-- Air 2S (and Mini2) not supported yet, I think they're waiting on DJI to update their SDK for it.

Thank you RobZilla, I plan on doing some more missions around Chautauqua Lake. The Miller bell tower and Antheneum  Hotel in the Chautauqua institution are next up. Waiting for the weather to straighten out
2021-4-22
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

Northwood Posted at 4-22 12:41
Nicely done, and thanks for the great history lesson.  I really enjoy drone documentary pieces.

Thanks Northwood, Hopefully I'll get better at producing these types of videos. Still fairly new to me. I like the history in them as well. Appreciate your feedback.
2021-4-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JimDandy. Good day and thank you for posting this video that you have filmed and created. Nicely done and fly safe always.
2021-4-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2021-4-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Impressive footage.  
2021-4-23
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

Thanks DAFlys. Appreciate the feedback. Happy flying to you.
2021-4-23
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

Thanks DowntownRDB. Appreciate the feedback. Happy flying to you.
2021-4-23
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Very nice. You convinced me to spend $100 of my money on DroneLink. I hope you get a commission. Seriously, maybe they should have a referral program.
2021-4-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JimDandy Posted at 4-23 06:01
Thanks DAFlys. Appreciate the feedback. Happy flying to you.

You're very welcome.
2021-4-23
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 4-23 16:40
Very nice. You convinced me to spend $100 of my money on DroneLink. I hope you get a commission. Seriously, maybe they should have a referral program.

Hope you enjoy it. Throw me a PM if you need any help getting started. I spent a few days watching the whole "dronelink 101" vids on youtube, some of them 2-3 times. It's deep. The nice thing is, if you leave your repository public, folks can use them by copying and pasting them to their location and modify them to their liking, without changing your original. They can also look at the mission you made and offer suggestions to help.
2021-4-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

JimDandy Posted at 4-23 06:02
Thanks DowntownRDB. Appreciate the feedback. Happy flying to you.

You're very welcome.    Have a great weekend.
2021-4-24
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

So I started playing with DroneLink yesterday, planning a few missions: two at a friend's property that I have yet to fly and one at home, which I tweaked a few times and flew twice today. My initial impressions are mixed.

The good news is that DroneLink respects Authorization Zones -- I'm in one, and after doing the self-unlock and importing the license into the Mavic Air 2, DroneLink was able to have the drone take off. The bad news is that both times the mission aborted after straying too far from the intended flight path. The first time I had used the default tolerance of 75 feet, and after the mission aborted I raised it to 100 feet, and the mission aborted again. I'm not sure why it can't stay within that pretty lax tolerance. And annoyingly, once the missions aborts, from what I can tell you can't resume from the current location -- I wish it would give you that choice.

The other thing I find strange is that the waypoints of a path are only 2D -- they have no height information. I have a path I would like to fly at different altitudes, and that doesn't seem possible using the Path component.

There's obviously a learning curve and I need to spend more time with the mission planner, and also watch the videos they provide.
2021-4-24
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1640843 ft
Italy

Well done Jim. I'm another Dronelink enthusiast user.
2021-4-24
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 4-24 11:25
So I started playing with DroneLink yesterday, planning a few missions: two at a friend's property that I have yet to fly and one at home, which I tweaked a few times and flew twice today. My initial impressions are mixed.

The good news is that DroneLink respects Authorization Zones -- I'm in one, and after doing the self-unlock and importing the license into the Mavic Air 2, DroneLink was able to have the drone take off. The bad news is that both times the mission aborted after straying too far from the intended flight path. The first time I had used the default tolerance of 75 feet, and after the mission aborted I raised it to 100 feet, and the mission aborted again. I'm not sure why it can't stay within that pretty lax tolerance. And annoyingly, once the missions aborts, from what I can tell you can't resume from the current location -- I wish it would give you that choice.

Very strange that the mission didn't follow the path. I have not experienced that. All my missions have been spot on. As for the altitude changes, no problem. When you are planning a mission, path. and you want the altitude to change, Right click near the path where you want the change to happen choose "new marker" you can make that marker be several different things. choose "altitude" and put in the height you want. You can grab that marker and "slide it" anywhere you want along the path. You can add as many markers as you need. The drone will move to that height. As for the 2D No problem again when you do a mission preview, you have an option to down load the preview to Google earth. Open it in google earth. You can fly the mission in google earth before ever doing it live. Share your plan with me and I'll have a look at it. Your repository will need to be set to public., to be able to share the mission. I might be able to offer some suggestions. As for the authorization zones, I'm glad to hear that. PLEASE watch the videos. They guide you through the very things you are asking. Good entertainment on a rainy day.
2021-4-25
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 4-24 11:25
So I started playing with DroneLink yesterday, planning a few missions: two at a friend's property that I have yet to fly and one at home, which I tweaked a few times and flew twice today. My initial impressions are mixed.

The good news is that DroneLink respects Authorization Zones -- I'm in one, and after doing the self-unlock and importing the license into the Mavic Air 2, DroneLink was able to have the drone take off. The bad news is that both times the mission aborted after straying too far from the intended flight path. The first time I had used the default tolerance of 75 feet, and after the mission aborted I raised it to 100 feet, and the mission aborted again. I'm not sure why it can't stay within that pretty lax tolerance. And annoyingly, once the missions aborts, from what I can tell you can't resume from the current location -- I wish it would give you that choice.

One more thing on the waypoint heights. the waypoints are tied to the approach. when you make a path and click the starting point of the mission a box comes up and has several settings in it. Altitude being one of them. if you choose 150 feet for height ALL waypoints you add in, or that are there by default. will be 150 feet. If you want the elevation to change from way point one to waypoint 2 you right click near the path choose new marker, choose altitude, set altitude. from that point in the mission every waypoint from that point on will be the set to the marker. Make as many markers as you like. Now in the mission preview screen you can see the altitude of you path. There are several graphs that run along with your flight in the preview screen that show the altitude, vertical speed, horizontal speed, Distance from launch, and so on.
2021-4-25
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

Raf_IZ0QWM Posted at 4-24 21:35
Well done Jim. I'm another Dronelink enthusiast user.

Thank you Raf_IZ0QWM. Hope you are enjoying it.
2021-4-25
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

I'm just not having any luck with Dronelink.

I planned another mission at another location and flew it twice, and both times it aborted after straying more than 75 feet from the planned horizontal position. I had 16 satellites locked at the time that I took off, but the Kp is currently at 6 where I'm at and won't be getting better for at least another 24 hours. I knew the conditions weren't optimal but I wanted to give it another try since tomorrow we're looking at a good chance of rain.
2021-4-25
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 4-25 13:26
I'm just not having any luck with Dronelink.

I planned another mission at another location and flew it twice, and both times it aborted after straying more than 75 feet from the planned horizontal position. I had 16 satellites locked at the time that I took off, but the Kp is currently at 6 where I'm at and won't be getting better for at least another 24 hours. I knew the conditions weren't optimal but I wanted to give it another try since tomorrow we're looking at a good chance of rain.

send me a link to your repository.  make sure it is public. I'd be glad to help.
2021-4-25
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

Thanks, but there is nothing wrong with the mission. It's the current Kp Index, it affects the accuracy of GPS.
2021-4-25
Use props
Wright Brother
New

United States

Not to butt in here, but I'm new so hopefully my unfamiliarity with the culture won't seem rude.  Using Dronelink w/Mini.  Thought I had my path all worked out and was gonna impress the Mrs. but two waypoints in I get a "maximum distance reached" error.  I manage to push through that and about 3/4 way through, same, so I gave up and flew manual home.  Can't find anything useful about this on the Dronelink site.  Perhaps because I am a mere "hobbyist?"  I don't think it should be... any guidance much appreciated.  Pax.
2021-4-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice video!
2021-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij
2021-4-28
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

Thank you Montfrooij. Appreciate the feedback.
2021-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

JimDandy Posted at 4-28 01:48
Thank you Montfrooij. Appreciate the feedback.

More than welcome!
2021-4-28
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 4-25 14:44
Thanks, but there is nothing wrong with the mission. It's the current Kp Index, it affects the accuracy of GPS.

As I suspected, the Kp index was the problem. I was over at my friend's house today and flew the mission that failed twice before due to position errors -- it went off without a hitch today.

The only problem now is that my computer tells me that the memory card needs to be formatted before it can be used. The videos are viewable in DJI Fly, so now I'm downloading them from the Mavic Air 2 to my iPhone first before transferring them to my computer. Copying almost 7GB at 5 MBps is painful. I may run out of battery power before the copy completes.

One thing that is bugging me about the Dronelink app on the iPhone is that it insists on portrait orientation, whereas DJI Fly and the DJI controller holding the phone are designed for landscape orientation. You wind up having to hold the controller sideways to keep a tab on what's going on in Dronelink, and if you should need to take control of the drone using the sticks you'll probably wind up having to tilt your head sideways.
2021-5-2
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 5-2 15:57
As I suspected, the Kp index was the problem. I was over at my friend's house today and flew the mission that failed twice before due to position errors -- it went off without a hitch today.

The only problem now is that my computer tells me that the memory card needs to be formatted before it can be used. The videos are viewable in DJI Fly, so now I'm downloading them from the Mavic Air 2 to my iPhone first before transferring them to my computer. Copying almost 7GB at 5 MBps is painful. I may run out of battery power before the copy completes.

Glad to hear all went well. I just flew my first mission from the phone with no per-planning on the web. I went to the little lightning bolt symbol and chose orbit, flew to the spot I wanted to orbit. Marked the spot flew back to the radius I wanted, set that, chose video, chose clockwise and started the mission. Worked perfectly. I really love this software. As for the Iphone and it's orientation, I would ask the guys on the dronelink forum. I use Android and it has never done anything but landscape. Looks just like DJI fly. Somethings not right there.
2021-5-2
Use props
CTT Channel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7843156 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Very interesting to watch
2021-5-3
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
United States

CTT Channel Posted at 5-3 07:19
Very interesting to watch

Thank you CTT. I enjoy your videos too. Great content.
2021-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules