Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Image Quality compared to M2P
383 10 4-23 15:33
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmb63
First Officer
Flight distance : 3535331 ft
  • >>>
United States

After spending a week and way too much time "pixel peeping" between the Air2 S and the M2P I can offer my non-professional findings/opinions so far:
Night/low light images straight out of the camera even at the same ISO are less noisy on the Air2S. The advancements in sensor technology are very apparent.
Video ( on normal H264 no log or HLG since I haven't analyzed the other log results since they will have to be edited to taste anyway) is damn near the same and if you like a bit more color and sharpness without the M2P's "overdoing" both (if set to anything but neutral), the Air2S is more pleasing and there is less of the moire around the edges.

There are a few less specific adjustments but it is not for that kind of user (a "pro" user will be at a loss for no adjustable aperture at the least)

Considering that the M2P sensor is the same as what is in the Sony Rx100Mk1 and the new one in the Air2S is the RX100Mk6 the generational gap is great!

These are just a few thoughts so far but I can definitely say that if you are not a "power user" and just want to get an excellent image without resorting to editing, etc. The Air2S is a good choice.
The M2P can still deliver excellent results but some additional attention must be made during and after shooting to draw that out. For example, the JPGs out of its (M2P) camera are actually not very good but a bit of work on the RAW files will yield outstanding results.

4-23 15:33
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 1394865 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing.
4-24 00:07
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 525 ft
United States

Good to know information.  
4-24 05:55
Use props
RobZilla
First Officer
Flight distance : 214170 ft
United States

Excellent feedback comparison jmb63. Thank you! Considering it was a small bump for me from the A2 to the A2S yet almost comparable similar camera specs to the M2P, I'm happy with the purchase.
4-24 06:58
Use props
Occams Razor
First Officer
Flight distance : 303455 ft
United States

Night/low light images straight out of the camera even at the same ISO are less noisy on the Air2S. The advancements in sensor technology are very apparent.

Nice observations.  Are you evaluating the noise with OOC JPEGS or through Raw files?
4-24 07:03
Use props
jmb63
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Occams Razor Posted at 4-24 07:03
Night/low light images straight out of the camera even at the same ISO are less noisy on the Air2S. The advancements in sensor technology are very apparent.

Mostly JPEG just to make it sweet/easy but the Raw images are noticeably less, also...Honestly, I didn't spend as much with the Raw but even at like 400 ISO the "new" camera is much better...As to be expected
4-24 07:27
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Does the M2P really use a Sony sensor that came out in 2012?  
4-24 19:37
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your review and feedback with the DJI Air 2S, jmb63.
4-25 04:13
Use props
jmb63
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Burlingtonfilms Posted at 4-24 19:37
Does the M2P really use a Sony sensor that came out in 2012?

This is an older article (and a bit critical) but came up with a search...I am sure that the sensor being the same is discussed somewhere but I can't remember the model # of that Sony sensor

https://www.wimarys.com/why-not- ... 're%20one%20of,in%20the%20original%20Sony%20RX100.
4-25 06:47
Use props
jmb63
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Occams Razor Posted at 4-24 07:03
Night/low light images straight out of the camera even at the same ISO are less noisy on the Air2S. The advancements in sensor technology are very apparent.

If interested, I started a new thread with some links to some SOC shots at 400 and 1630 ISO both DNG and JPG
4-25 17:47
Use props
atomic77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 858117 ft
Poland

I compared some RAW files from M2P and A2s (daylight only). They are very similar. At ISO100 M2P are a bit sharper and detailed. At ISO 3200 A2s the difference is even bigger, but I think it's because A2s is denoising RAW files and we can't turn it off...
Anyways, it's very comparable and as we know that a2s has a wider angle so it's  understandable that the same small objects have less detail (less pixels). And it's a bit easier to work with A2s RAWs (I think it's because of RAW denoise) so it's a great camera for advanced users.
4-25 21:21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules