Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
"Home" A short I created with the Mavic 2 Pro and RSC2
1020 31 2021-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

First post in years!  
I joined this forum as an Insurance Agent and have since moved on and started shooting professionally for my own photography business.  The majority of my work is real estate but I do shoot everything.  Real estate is great, it pays the bills, but the ultimate goal is landscape and video.  I recently created this short during a recent golden hour with my Mavic 2 Pro, RSC2 and Nikon D780.

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.  Thanks!

2021-4-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    - I assume thats Florida?
2021-4-23
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-23 23:54
Nicely done.    - I assume thats Florida?

Thank you!  I could definitely see the resemblance, but this is East Lake Village in Yorba Linda, California.
2021-4-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Booradley Posted at 4-24 00:20
Thank you!  I could definitely see the resemblance, but this is East Lake Village in Yorba Linda, California.

Ahh,   a much better state.   
2021-4-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome footage.  
2021-4-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-24 00:28
Ahh,   a much better state.

LOL, some might consider it a better state but cost of living in California is almost double that of Florida.  Maybe that's why so many corporations are bailing out of California and moving to Texas.  

2021-4-24
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

What an awesome community. Lovely family God Bless.
2021-4-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-24 04:39
LOL, some might consider it a better state but cost of living in California is almost double that of Florida.  Maybe that's why so many corporations are bailing out of California and moving to Texas.

I found on my travels that the east coast is much ruder than the west,    NY being the worse, and San Francisco being amazing.
2021-4-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-24 04:39

I found on my travels that the east coast is much ruder than the west,    NY being the worse, and San Francisco being amazing.
2021-4-24
Use props
ckat007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 887024 ft
Finland

Nicely done
2021-4-24
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-24 07:49

California is a great place for photography and video.  Incredible no doubt, the landscapes are abundant and a huge variety of climates to choose from.  Beaches to mountains and everything in between, but it's changed quite a bit and most of it recently.  

I'm rather embarrassed and would caution you or anyone else on this forum from visiting.  Odds are you would be ok, I live here and go to some of the worst areas but I'm also very aware of my surroundings and very careful.  But if you've been here before, it's not going to be as you remembered, unless you find a bubble community like the one featured in the video.  And who knows, Florida may be headed down a similar path.  The last time I visited Florida was 2019.

This is coming from a 7th or 8th gen Californian who LOVES the state, I have family that goes back to the gold rush.  The state is in a dire situation and while I am optimistic it will eventually get better, it may be the next generation that gets to see it.  It's worse than it was in the 80's and I think it will take multiple decades to get back to how it was just 10 years ago.  The jails are empty, and the streets are lined with tents, drug addicts, and mentally ill wandering the streets like the walking dead.  It's done a complete 180 and if my family from Canada said they wanted to visit, I'd encourage them not to for their own safety.  Any good in San Francisco left during the pandemic and moved to Tahoe.  It's very depressing indeed and other than a few pockets here and there, it's becoming a complete failure in my opinion.  Just the other day I was shooting in Hollywood when a 31 year old guy was stabbed one block away in his backyard.  This is not the California I grew up in.  It's common to see people using drugs and pooping in the streets.  Very common.   

I'm considering making a documentary about it, but the risk may not be worth it.  I have a family and fortunately that family is more important to me than exposing the truth of how unsafe it has gotten here and again the issue could be much broader.  It could seem more localized to me because fortunately that is where I have been forced to remain during the pandemic.  

For me, I have found the nicest people in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming.  It becomes very obvious about 1 hour north past Vegas on the 15 fwy when you start to notice the drivers become far more courteous and chill.  The roads get nicer too   It's just too bad you can't film by drone in Lake Powell or the National Parks with those gorgeous sandstone buttes.  
2021-4-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Booradley Posted at 4-24 11:42
California is a great place for photography and video.  Incredible no doubt, the landscapes are abundant and a huge variety of climates to choose from.  Beaches to mountains and everything in between, but it's changed quite a bit and most of it recently.  

I'm rather embarrassed and would caution you or anyone else on this forum from visiting.  Odds are you would be ok, I live here and go to some of the worst areas but I'm also very aware of my surroundings and very careful.  But if you've been here before, it's not going to be as you remembered, unless you find a bubble community like the one featured in the video.  And who knows, Florida may be headed down a similar path.  The last time I visited Florida was 2019.

Thats very sad to hear.     Here in the UK pre pandemic we were seeing a lot of adverts to visit Wyoming which is curious.
2021-4-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-24 07:46
I found on my travels that the east coast is much ruder than the west,    NY being the worse, and San Francisco being amazing.

Have to agree with you on New York.  
2021-4-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-25 07:05
Have to agree with you on New York.

Lol.  I had a woman literally screaming at me to get out her way walking down the street.   And no one I asked in hotels/restaurants/bars could explain the steam coming from the drains.
2021-4-25
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-25 00:02
Thats very sad to hear.     Here in the UK pre pandemic we were seeing a lot of adverts to visit Wyoming which is curious.

That is interesting.  I have only briefly touched on Wyoming.  I went out to Idaho to view the Eclipse in 2017, even captured it with my DJI P3 Pro, or so I thought....  In the excitement of the event, I forgot to hit record.  Anyway, while in Idaho I ventured over to the Grand Tetons.  WOW.  Majestic and fantasy like.  It's just gorgeous.  I loved the Jackson Hole area, photographing the iconic Mormon Row, and exploring Jenny Lake was a very scenic adventure.  It felt unique to me, however I am hardly an international traveler with a broad enough sense to say it's truly unique, but it certainly felt that way.  
2021-4-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I like it a lot.
Good job!
2021-4-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij
2021-4-27
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-27 23:31
PS, I subscribed to your channel via 2 channels .
Mine are http://www.youtube.com/c/tricksandtipsnl
http://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMontfrooij

I REALLY appreciate the support and here's some good karma for you.  (I have 4 channels, I'll sub to you with all 4)    Thank you
2021-4-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Booradley Posted at 4-27 23:44
I REALLY appreciate the support and here's some good karma for you.  (I have 4 channels, I'll sub to you with all 4)    Thank you

You're welcome!
Oh nice.
Which ones are those?
I will sub back on all too
2021-4-27
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-27 23:47
You're welcome!
Oh nice.
Which ones are those?

The only one I may start working on again is my Amateur Adventurer page, this one here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQBsRE8YBLe-bHFBOJehiIg  but you never know with the others.  Either way thanks again!  Oh and I see you found the channel already.
2021-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Booradley Posted at 4-28 02:40
The only one I may start working on again is my Amateur Adventurer page, this one here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQBsRE8YBLe-bHFBOJehiIg  but you never know with the others.  Either way thanks again!  Oh and I see you found the channel already.

Yeah I did.
One of my channels is 'sleeping' too.
Too much hassle to keep all 4 active.
So now I use 3 for various subjects.
2021-4-28
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-28 02:41
Yeah I did.
One of my channels is 'sleeping' too.
Too much hassle to keep all 4 active.

Ha I totally get it.  I am trying to make a full time job out of it.  Just started taking it real serious January 1 of this year and my goal was weekly videos but my professional photography work has really picked up lately.  Either way, I'll get there, just not as soon as I'd like.  
2021-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Booradley Posted at 4-28 02:50
Ha I totally get it.  I am trying to make a full time job out of it.  Just started taking it real serious January 1 of this year and my goal was weekly videos but my professional photography work has really picked up lately.  Either way, I'll get there, just not as soon as I'd like.

Oh wow, I wish you a lot of luck with that.
Quite difficult to get a really good cash flow from youtube.
Usually that leads to screaming titles and not so good content.
There is only a few professional content creators that have a good niche and the talent to keep it up and usually they do diversify their income stream with sponsorships and patreon etc.
For a moment I thought I was going to do that too (as my job) but I abandoned it.
One of my video's was picked up by the algorithm and really boosted my channel, but it was totally unclear why and I could not find a way to replicate that.
So I ended up making what I like to make and not what I think others like to see.
2021-4-28
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-28 03:27
Oh wow, I wish you a lot of luck with that.
Quite difficult to get a really good cash flow from youtube.
Usually that leads to screaming titles and not so good content.

Yup I totally get it.  You are not the first to "warn" me of the potential to fail.  I'd encourage you to stay tuned as I completely agree with you on the mistakes people make as they grow.  I'm the admin for Peter McKinnon's fan group on Facebook where we discuss daily the challenges of making it.  He's my greatest influence and the one I relate to the most.  However, I have a business plan where he went more into routine gear reviews, what's in my bag repetitive marketing tactics and all that.  I'm not saying that these elements won't eventually exist in my videos, I just plan on doing like you said, focus on content and not on content that promotes products for the people who sponsor me.  With the topics I am working towards, cinema tutorial, photo tutorials, VLOG, business development, and the adventures in between.  Naturally I will have plenty of opportunities to find balance between the two.  

I get it, it's tough and rare to succeed.  I have a solid plan. am a professional photographer by day, and have successfully shed my 9 to 5 State Farm Agency in favor of my side hustle, my side hustle is now my career and my new side hustle is YouTube.  I believe that is a story worth telling, I just am in acquisition phase, letting the algos know I am here to stay and releasing consistent content so it will all fall into place.  I've got more than 20 episodes written out and just need to execute them now.  Either way, I've earned jobs from my content on YouTube including a paid licensing with Discovery Network for a show called Sin City ER and local jobs shooting video.  So I am ok if I am not the next Peter McKinnon, but there is plenty of room for success between Pete and failure....  And trust me, there is nothing more brutal and difficult than selling life insurance each month.  If I could beat out most in my district doing something I hate hate hate doing like selling life insurance and when I was single without a child.   Wait until you see what I eventually do with something I LOVE while married with a new baby.  
2021-4-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Booradley Posted at 4-28 10:41
Yup I totally get it.  You are not the first to "warn" me of the potential to fail.  I'd encourage you to stay tuned as I completely agree with you on the mistakes people make as they grow.  I'm the admin for Peter McKinnon's fan group on Facebook where we discuss daily the challenges of making it.  He's my greatest influence and the one I relate to the most.  However, I have a business plan where he went more into routine gear reviews, what's in my bag repetitive marketing tactics and all that.  I'm not saying that these elements won't eventually exist in my videos, I just plan on doing like you said, focus on content and not on content that promotes products for the people who sponsor me.  With the topics I am working towards, cinema tutorial, photo tutorials, VLOG, business development, and the adventures in between.  Naturally I will have plenty of opportunities to find balance between the two.  

I get it, it's tough and rare to succeed.  I have a solid plan. am a professional photographer by day, and have successfully shed my 9 to 5 State Farm Agency in favor of my side hustle, my side hustle is now my career and my new side hustle is YouTube.  I believe that is a story worth telling, I just am in acquisition phase, letting the algos know I am here to stay and releasing consistent content so it will all fall into place.  I've got more than 20 episodes written out and just need to execute them now.  Either way, I've earned jobs from my content on YouTube including a paid licensing with Discovery Network for a show called Sin City ER and local jobs shooting video.  So I am ok if I am not the next Peter McKinnon, but there is plenty of room for success between Pete and failure....  And trust me, there is nothing more brutal and difficult than selling life insurance each month.  If I could beat out most in my district doing something I hate hate hate doing like selling life insurance and when I was single without a child.   Wait until you see what I eventually do with something I LOVE while married with a new baby.

Nice to read man!
Always follow your dreams
I am fortunate to having one of the best jobs in the world (I believe) so I have no 'need' to pursue something else, but having said that, I like the fact that I have 2 expensive hobbies (photography / videography and music) that I can fund with the cashflow they generate themselves.
As long as you like what you make and make what you like, you should be good!

I'm a huge fan of Peter btw. Not only because we share the same name
He is funny, a good storyteller,  good photographer / videographer (from my perspective) and nice to watch.
As long as you can get an engaged audience, you will be good to go for the algorithm!
2021-4-28
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 4-28 11:09
Nice to read man!
Always follow your dreams
I am fortunate to having one of the best jobs in the world (I believe) so I have no 'need' to pursue something else, but having said that, I like the fact that I have 2 expensive hobbies (photography / videography and music) that I can fund with the cashflow they generate themselves.

I appreciate that for sure!  What do you do?  And that's what it is all about freedom to create.  Unfortunately my last job paid well but I only had time to sleep and occasionally eat.  Everything I owned on the creative front was gathering dust.  So happy to pursue it and feel extremely fortunate I can.  Things are pretty tight budget wise right now as I am still in the acquisition phase of business.  Meaning I am acquiring clients, equipment, views, subscribers, and everything necessary to steady my foundation.  Which is a lot of time and money with not so much return.  Luckily my photography business helps me sustain all of this and justifies the expenses.  And all of my eggs are not in one basket.  Anyway, thank you for the response, I'd be stoked just to get to your level of subs!  What was it like 49k?  Congrats
2021-4-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-25 09:19
Lol.  I had a woman literally screaming at me to get out her way walking down the street.   And no one I asked in hotels/restaurants/bars could explain the steam coming from the drains.

This is the answer I was given by a NY City Official years ago.  He said that under the streets of New York City is the largest steam distribution system in the world.  Seven steam plants generate millions of pounds steam that run under the city’s streets. Used to heat houses, offices, churches, etc.  

The system moves steam at a very high pressure to maintain the temperature and push it through the entire system.  Those vapors coming from the drains are releasing pressure on the system or could in fact be a leak in the system.  
2021-4-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-29 12:27
This is the answer I was given by a NY City Official years ago.  He said that under the streets of New York City is the largest steam distribution system in the world.  Seven steam plants generate millions of pounds steam that run under the city’s streets. Used to heat houses, offices, churches, etc.  

The system moves steam at a very high pressure to maintain the temperature and push it through the entire system.  Those vapors coming from the drains are releasing pressure on the system or could in fact be a leak in the system.

Curious,   do you think thats true?
2021-4-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 4-29 12:27

The system moves steam at a very high pressure to maintain the temperature and push it through the entire system.  Those vapors coming from the drains are releasing pressure on the system or could in fact be a leak in the system.

holy ***** - It is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_steam_system
2021-4-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 4-30 00:18
Curious,   do you think thats true?

Not sure his answer was totally correct but being a city official he was probably covering up something more sinister.  LOL.  
2021-5-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-1 02:41
Not sure his answer was totally correct but being a city official he was probably covering up something more sinister.  LOL.

Seems he was telling the truth.
2021-5-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-1 09:05
Seems he was telling the truth.

2021-5-3
Use props