Mini 2 DJI Propeller Holder safe to use?
4396 7 2021-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

I have only had my Mini 2 for a very short time.  The first thing I learned here was to NOT store its LiPo batteries in the charging hub as the smart LiPo batteries need to be able to deplete.  They can't if plugged into the hub. My son made me a thin spacer (the 3D printer plan thanks to Bigplumbs design found here in this forum) to stop the batteries from plugging into the hub when inserted.

The thing I am now wondering is will the DJI propeller holder warp the plastic blades over time to a point they will not function properly.  Would it be better not to use the holder if this is a concern?
2021-4-24
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Depends of holder type and which position it holds the props. The one that comes with fly more combo should be safe.
2021-4-24
Use props
hunterws
lvl.4
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

In a word; yes.  Depends on how you store it ultimately, but any pressure on the props over time is going to distort them.
When my mini2 was brand new, it had a micro shake to it.  Changed the props, (and stopped using the strap) and have been flying fine since.
Coincidence?  I don't think so, and it's not impossible to slide the mini2 in gingerly, with the bottom props facing up while being placed.
I've had no issues doing it this way.  The strap is nice for those that have OCD issues I guess ...?  haa
2021-4-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Ontario Drone. Thanks for reaching out! If you're referring to the Mavic Mini Propeller Holder: https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-mini-propeller-holder, it is safe to use with the DJI Mini 2 propellers. The Propeller Holder secures and protects the propellers for safer storage and transportation.
2021-4-25
Use props
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

Thank you for responding DJI Gsmora.

This issue started when I watched the YouTube video called DJI Mini: How to Change the Props by Ian in London.  In the video Ian cites a YouTuber named Zbip57.

The video describes error messages you can get related to propeller problems while flying. Nine times out of ten the problem will be the rear left propeller usually warped by clamping down the crossed blades against the Mini’s main body by either the DJI combo propeller holder or FlyMore mini case (I know nothing about this case or how the mini sits in it when stored, just paraphrasing what was said).  

The YouTuber named Zbip57 states: Merely storing the Mini with the blades crossed is what's causing them to bend. Even if "properly" positioned into the trough at the bottom of the Fly More case, they're STILL being bent due to being folded crossed under each other. See these posts with photos explaining why it's almost always the left-rear blades. Check these three posts on what's causing the propeller deformation leading to the Mavic Mini ESC warning. He posts on the site MavicPilots and that is where you will find the URLs for the posted photos that he mentions.

Since the bottom plate of the Mini will still be rather warm after flying, could the repeated clamping of the thin folded plastic prop blades against that plate slightly soften and then cool to cause a distorted forced shape? I wish I could hear from a DJI Repair Technician about this.

This prompted me to do further digging and I found more, videos, forum threads and articles on causes for DJI prop bending with the Mini and Mini 2.

Sifting through all the videos, forums and articles, it seems that it is much better to keep the blades parallel to the body along the length of the folded arms.

My Mini drone is stored in a Nanuk 910 case with a Mini 2 combo foam insert.  I have now stopped using the DJI combo propeller holder. When inserting the MINI 2 into the foam cut out, I tilt the back of the case up and put the Mini 2 nose up in it so the back props are hanging down parallel to the folded back arms. I then position the top blades along the top folded arms.  Jostling the case causes the blades to move very little from those positions.

Is this a real issue or am I being, as hunterws mentions two responses above, obsessive about this……  
2021-4-25
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 433173 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ontario Drone Posted at 4-25 15:25
Thank you for responding DJI Gsmora.

This issue started when I watched the YouTube video called DJI Mini: How to Change the Props by Ian in London.  In the video Ian cites a YouTuber named Zbip57.

Ontario Drone,
Just a quick question since you mentioned that you use a Nanuk 910 case with your Mini 2. Did you do anything to the battery slots? They seem to be cut for the Mavic Mini batteries (oval), but are very tight for the Mini 2 batteries (squared off a bit more). I'm contemplating opening up the battery slots with an Olfa knife a bit, just to relieve the pressure on the battery walls. I'm just concerned that having them sit in there all the time with the constant pressure might damage the battery case some how.

Yep, I'm probably being a bit too OCD, but it would be a shame to damage them at ~$50 each.
2021-6-2
Use props
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

OK Skatin_Tater, do you have the NANUK 910 DJI Mini 2 Fly More case?  That is what I purchased.  When I purchased my Mini 2, I  went for the combo with an extra battery and filter kit.  Everything fits snugly in the Nanuk 910 case.  Perfect. The four battery slots initially had round ends.  After inserting the extra battery into a slot for a short time that slot ends became square. DON'T use your knife!  I use the other three slots for propellers and other small accessories.  The long slot next to the battery slots is used for the battery charger with the combo's three batteries.  My son printed me the plastic spacer mentioned in the forum to keep the batteries disconnected from the charger.
2021-6-2
Use props
Skatin_Tater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 433173 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ontario Drone Posted at 6-2 10:39
OK Skatin_Tater, do you have the NANUK 910 DJI Mini 2 Fly More case?  That is what I purchased.  When I purchased my Mini 2, I  went for the combo with an extra battery and filter kit.  Everything fits snugly in the Nanuk 910 case.  Perfect. The four battery slots initially had round ends.  After inserting the extra battery into a slot for a short time that slot ends became square. DON'T use your knife!  I use the other three slots for propellers and other small accessories.  The long slot next to the battery slots is used for the battery charger with the combo's three batteries.  My son printed me the plastic spacer mentioned in the forum to keep the batteries disconnected from the charger.

Yep, I have the Mini 2 Fly More case. I'll take your advise and just leave the batteries in the case for awhile. Thanks for the info!
2021-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules