Why am I using an SD card in my remote
1694 8 2021-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tarmour22
lvl.1
United States

I am curious why I should be using an SD card in my remote.  I can capture raw footage and stills on my drone and copy those images to my computer directly from the drone and also from the SD card.  When I try to copy from the SD card in my remote there is nothing on the card.  I would like to think this would serve as a second backup of my data but it is not storing to the card.  I have choosen to have the remote backup to my SD card but that doesn't seem to be working.  I am curious what people are using the SD in their remote for?
2021-4-24
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

In settings, you need to change where the photos/videos go...internal drive or SD card.  I like to use the SD card because the internal storage is only 8gb.  I always have extra SD cards but if I forget one day and the SD card gets full, I always have the internal as backup.
2021-4-24
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Does your 'remote' mean the Smart Controller?
2021-4-24
Use props
tarmour22
lvl.1
United States

Yes smart controller.  Currently I save on the card in my drone not on my internal drive.  I don’t find files saved on my sd card in the smart controller
2021-4-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

tarmour22 Posted at 4-24 14:46
Yes smart controller.  Currently I save on the card in my drone not on my internal drive.  I don’t find files saved on my sd card in the smart controller

There's no need to have a card in your controller.
The images write directly to the card in the drone, but there isn't enough bandwidth to transmit them back to the controller while flying.
Use your signal bandwidth for control and screen view.
2021-4-24
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-24 16:17
There's no need to have a card in your controller.
The images write directly to the card in the drone, but there isn't enough bandwidth to transmit them back to the controller while flying.
Use your signal bandwidth for control and screen view.

Actually, the Air 2 does have the option to save what DJI calls "HD photos" from the bird during flight (or at least some of them get there during flight), so for photos, there might be a use.

The benefit to someone who is willing to use a PC to grab the images is questionable though, but works well for those that want the images to post somewhere quickly.

The SD card in the Smart controller can also be used for caching videos and screen recordings but these videos are lower resolution.  It is absolutely not necessary to have an SD card in the controller, but there are some benefits.  and SD cards are cheap, so might be worth while.
2021-4-24
Use props
tarmour22
lvl.1
United States

Thanks that is what I was thinking.  Bandwidth for flight control makes the most sense.
2021-4-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, tarmour22. Thanks for reaching out! For the DJI Smart Controller, the MicroSD slot only expands the controller's storage (does not save full resolution files) and it is still required for most usages to insert a MicroSD into the aircraft. This could be an option if you're using other applications in the DJI Smart Controller or you want to have a big storage space to save the cached files.
2021-4-25
Use props
tarmour22
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-25 00:19
Hi, tarmour22. Thanks for reaching out! For the DJI Smart Controller, the MicroSD slot only expands the controller's storage (does not save full resolution files) and it is still required for most usages to insert a MicroSD into the aircraft. This could be an option if you're using other applications in the DJI Smart Controller or you want to have a big storage space to save the cached files.

Thanks for responding
2021-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules