Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What Happens? Loss of Goggle Feed
3584 19 2021-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Buster1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677028 ft
United States

A simple question, and I can’t find it in the owner’s manual (of course).

What happens during flight if the goggles fail, lose power, or the feed from the drone is lost?
2021-4-25
Use props
FlyingSnoopy
lvl.4

Greece

For sure:  video recording will stop in both the goggles and the drone.
It happened once but i still had RC signal, so i pressed the RTH button and when the drone came closer it reconnected to the goggles
I was flying in normal mode
2021-4-25
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
United States

Thanks! Will the drone Auto-RTH with loss of goggles? I may have to test this.
2021-4-25
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

I don't think it RTH with video loss only. I've lost video for a short while and the drone didn't return. I generally increase altitude when I have a bad video signal.

The control signal is much more robust than the video signal. I often have video problems when the drone is far away and low but I haven't had the control signal drop below 100% once (according to the Airdata reports).
2021-4-25
Use props
FlyingSnoopy
lvl.4

Greece

From the manual: When RC signal is lost for more than 3.5 seconds, drone will enter Failsafe RTH, where it will fly backwards for 50meters on its original route and then it will return straight to the homepoint
Thats for normal mode, i dont know it applies to sport or manual mode.
2021-4-25
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
United States

Thanks Snoopy, but that is RC signal. I’m specifically wondering about the goggle signal.
2021-4-25
Use props
FlyingSnoopy
lvl.4

Greece

Buster1 Posted at 4-25 12:05
Thanks Snoopy, but that is RC signal. I’m specifically wondering about the goggle signal.

For the goggles you can check my first answer: Drone and Goggles will stop recording but as far as i know, this won't trigger RTH automatically.  Only RC signal lost does.
If anyone knows more about this feature, please share with us
2021-4-25
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

There have been reports here on the forum about the drone NOT entering fail safe RTH when losing the video feed, so I woud not count on it if I were you ...
2021-4-25
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

I flew without antennas on the googles. The drone stopped at 300m and entered a hover and returned afterwards. I re took control, paused it, screwed on my antennas and flew more
2021-4-27
Use props
jimmylee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 367352 ft
  • >>>
United States

I turned off the power to the goggles to see what would happen, It initiated RTH. The same with the controller, powered it off and RTH. Turned them back on and had immediate control again.
2021-4-27
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
United States

Wow, interesting. I need to test this too when I can, but it sounds pretty conclusive from your test. Thanks!
2021-4-28
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You get a black screen and hope to all heaven that you still have connection between drone and controller. Don't panic, select normal mode and press the return to home button, that's if it hasn't reverted back to normal mode already. There's nothing you can do other than climb to get a better line of sight if you are behind trees or a big hill. If the drone returns to home, land it, give it a good telling off and send again with a new battery.....I talk to all my drones/kwads as they actually have feelings
2021-4-28
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

MoppelMat Posted at 4-27 11:32
I flew without antennas on the googles. The drone stopped at 300m and entered a hover and returned afterwards. I re took control, paused it, screwed on my antennas and flew more

"I flew without antennas on the googles."

Not using an antenna on a receiver isn't likely to damage it but the same isn't true for a transmitter.  The goggles could be damaged if used without antennas.

There are special load devices to use in place of antennas to attenuate the signal without damaging the transmitter.
2021-4-28
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buster1 Posted at 4-25 11:03
Thanks! Will the drone Auto-RTH with loss of goggles? I may have to test this.

Apparently it's more intelligent than most of the pilots flying it......
2021-4-28
Use props
sbarton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 877110 ft
United States

I just lost goggle signal (pretty sure I still had RC signal).  After a few seconds, it stopped both videos and initiated Failsafe RTH.  
2021-4-28
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

Duane Degn Posted at 4-28 05:44
"I flew without antennas on the googles."

Not using an antenna on a receiver isn't likely to damage it but the same isn't true for a transmitter.  The goggles could be damaged if used without antennas.

I know. This was not on purpose. I fly with my DJI FPV for more than a year now, and I have got small antennas that I do not need to remove anymore. so I fortgot to put them on my new googles..
2021-4-28
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77936 ft

United States

Yes, it will return if you loose RC or Video signal.  It happens to me both ways almost every time I fly.  I do push my limits.
2021-4-28
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
United States

You guys are right of course, with loss of goggles the drone does RTH. I also found in the manual on page 18, there is one brief mention in the first paragraph of loss of goggle feed being a cause for RTH.

I just flew and did a test of my own on this. Here’s what happened.

Entered a hover about 25’ altitude and over 50M away from home point. (EDIT: Verified 81M away at hover). 60% battery. I then removed the goggles to visually observe the drone and pulled the goggle battery off the cable. I verified the goggle battery shuts off when disconnected. The drone stayed at its altitude (about 25’) and flew straight to the home point at a slow speed (probably 3 M/sec as per the manual). Being outside 50M from home, I expected it to climb to RTH set altitude.

Next, with the drone maybe 75’ - 100’ or so away on the RTH, I reconnected the goggle battery. It was off. The drone seemed to ‘stutter’ a second when I did this, but then continued towards me. I then powered on the battery and checked the goggles. About that time the drone was overhead, and the goggles connected. They said FAILSAFE RTH in red in the goggles. The drone landed and I couldn’t stop it with throttle up or the start/stop button.

The manual states that FAILSAFE RTH is essentially straight-line RTH, with the normal 50M cutoff for straight in, or climb-and-then-straight in  RTH. I need to verify how far I was when I pulled the goggle battery off, but I think I was outside of 50M/164 ft from home. (EDIT: I was 81M away).

Also curious was the stutter of the drone when the off battery was connected to the goggles. Wind gust? Coincidence? Or maybe something else. I’d be interested to hear how your drone behaves if you try this test.
2021-4-30
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
United States

Update:

Okay, I think I figured out the Stutter in my test and why it didn’t do the climb-and-then-straight RTH profile.

Just prior to the test I overflow the homepoint and went out to 81M away, and hovered. When the goggles were unplugged, the drone is supposed to retrace the last 50M and THEN do the RTH. I’m pretty sure it was retracing the last 50M and basically coming straight back at me where I flew over. Then after it completed the 50M retrace, it stuttered, then decided how to RTH... and since it was only about 30M away at that point .... it flew straight in to the home point!!

I need to do more tests, but I think this is what happened.
2021-4-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

It depends what you set loss connection set to.  Hover, Land, RTH.  I always check it.  I switch RTH to Hover if I'm close and flying low just incase.
2021-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules