Mini 2 FLYAWAY timeline
2166 12 2021-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dji_dronepilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103789 ft
Ireland

I received my mini-2 approx 2 weeks ago and have been flying it since. Unfortunately while filming in a coastal location yesterday, the drone flew away due to unexpected strong winds when the drone flew above a cliff.

Thankfully i have DJI refresh which i understood to be very straight forward.The DJI website says "If a flyaway occurs - simply pay the corresponding service fee to obtain a replacement product". What could be simpler?

I believe the flyaway to be as a result of inexperience, pilot error and unexpected wind conditions. In any event, as the website says "If a flyaway occurs - simply pay the corresponding service fee to obtain a replacement product.

From reading some of the experiences on these forums, this doesnt appear to be the case, with long delays for investigation often endured, compounded by poor communication. I want to simply log my flyaway, which i have, late on the 23rd April, pay the replacement fee of Euro229, and get a new drone in the post. It really should be that simple and thats why i purchased the  refresh programme.

From my 2 weeks experience with the DJI mini2, i think its an amazing bit of kit, and two of my friends have purchased based on recommendations from me. I have decided to document my experiences with the "refresh" programme in these posts for the benefit of other users. I really hope its as efficient as the purchasing process, as this was excellent, and comparable with apple.

So, to date, 26th April, drone flewaway on 23rd April, the issue was logged that evening, 23rd April , and a case number wass issued...
over to DJI:-.........

2021-4-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear about the accident with your drone. I've managed to get your case number via your forum account, I'll forward it to our corresponding team to check and follow up. Thanks for your patience.
2021-4-25
Use props
Dji_dronepilot
lvl.1
Ireland

DJI Natalia Posted at 4-25 23:42
Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear about the accident with your drone. I've managed to get your case number via your forum account, I'll forward it to our corresponding team to check and follow up. Thanks for your patience.

Hi DJI Natalia,

Thank you for the prompt reply.
In my original case filing I said didn't have flight records of the incident. It turns out I do (I was using a different smartphone to my normal one).

Do you need these as part of the investigation and if so, where do I forward them to?

How long can I expect to be waiting for my replacement drone to arrive? I have commenced a job where I expect to use the mini 2 to compliment my work.

Thank you.

2021-4-26
Use props
Dji_dronepilot
lvl.1
Ireland

Monday 26th April (AM):  
I just received an e-mail from Greg in DJI Support EU, following up on my flyaway case and giving further information regarding the process from DJI's side.

Using the information in this e-mail I was able to submit/ complete a flyaway report in the DJI Fly app. Basically, open the App on the mobile device, Tap "profile" and "device management", tap "Value-added service" and connect the drone remote controller to the mobile device (as if you are flying the drone). Then tap "Aircraft Flyaway", there are some details to be read then, once satisfied, tap "Next", then tap "confirm". When "Flyaway aircraft report confirmed" is shown, it indicates that the flyaway report process is completed.

The e-mail stated that : "Once this report has been completed, your case can proceed and you will be issued with a Care Refresh quotation"

He also mentioned that the service centres are not open at the weekends and that today (Monday) was the soonest DJI were able to follow up the case.

2021-4-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Dji_dronepilot Posted at 4-26 03:13
Monday 26th April (AM):   
I just received an e-mail from Greg in DJI Support EU, following up on my flyaway case and giving further information regarding the process from DJI's side.

Hi, I've noticed that you had replied back to the email, I'll urge the team to keep following up on it soon. Please wait for the email update. Thanks.
2021-4-26
Use props
Dji_dronepilot
lvl.1
Ireland

DJI Natalia Posted at 4-26 23:27
Hi, I've noticed that you had replied back to the email, I'll urge the team to keep following up on it soon. Please wait for the email update. Thanks.

Hi DJI Natalia,
Thank you for the update. I look forward to receiving the care refresh quotation ASAP! Do you have any idea how long this normally takes? As this is a flyaway case (very obvious that the drone went into the sea and is unrecoverable), i would hope that it wont take long.

Also, i assume the replacement drone comes with a battery?

Regards

2021-4-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Dji_dronepilot Posted at 4-27 03:50
Hi DJI Natalia,
Thank you for the update. I look forward to receiving the care refresh quotation ASAP! Do you have any idea how long this normally takes? As this is a flyaway case (very obvious that the drone went into the sea and is unrecoverable), i would hope that it wont take long.

Hi there, I had asked our team to expedite the process, the quotation has been sent to your email, have you received it? Please check it and finish the payment, the following process will proceed soon.

Yes, the replacement drone will come with a battery.
2021-4-29
Use props
Dji_dronepilot
lvl.1
Ireland

Hi DJI Natalia,
Thank you for the update. I did indeed receive the care refresh quotation earlier on today, 29th April and paid the replacement fee of €229.

I haven’t yet received a confirmation e-mail to say it was received or details of shipping tracking. Would you have any update on this?

I have to say the replacement service has been faultless so far.

My only comment/ question is why it’s not more automated and not depending on ‘expediting’ etc. Especially for a flyaway, the replacement fee (229€) surely covers construction costs so could be dispatched immediately in tandem with the investigation by DJI.

Looking forward to receiving my new drone!
Regards
2021-4-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Dji_dronepilot Posted at 4-29 10:29
Hi DJI Natalia,
Thank you for the update. I did indeed receive the care refresh quotation earlier on today, 29th April and paid the replacement fee of €229.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I've noticed that your case has been finished, the aircraft and battery have been shipped out. Hope you will receive it soon.
Should there any other concerns, please feel free to reply to me back. Thanks.
2021-4-30
Use props
Dji_dronepilot
lvl.1
Ireland

2 may 2021
Hi DJI Natalia,
Thanks for the update. To update, The replacement drone was shipped from Rotterdam 2 days ago, with an expected delivery date of 7th May.
Looking forward to getting back in the air again!
Thanks for the assistance
2021-5-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Dji_dronepilot Posted at 5-2 03:36
2 may 2021
Hi DJI Natalia,
Thanks for the update. To update, The replacement drone was shipped from Rotterdam 2 days ago, with an expected delivery date of 7th May.

My pleasure to help.
2021-5-4
Use props
Dji_dronepilot
lvl.1
Ireland

Update: 6th May.
The replacement drone was delivered today, exactly 2 weeks after the flyaway. Delighted to be back flying again!!
2021-5-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Dji_dronepilot Posted at 5-6 14:36
Update: 6th May.
The replacement drone was delivered today, exactly 2 weeks after the flyaway. Delighted to be back flying again!!

Nice to hear that. Happy and safe flying!
2021-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules