No choice but to send in for repair
997 7 2015-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rivera_albert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377966 ft
United States

Well, I have tried every idea & suggestion I have found on this forum.  Multiple IMU calibrations on perfectly level surface, several gimbal calibrations, but still I have tilted horizon problem.  I hear that a new firmware is going to be released soon, but I don't know if I should wait and see if it fixes the problem or just send it in for repair.  Im going to call & see about getting a RMA number.   Has anyone had success on the tilted horizon issue after a repair?
2015-7-17
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

General rule is this.

1: If the horizon is always off exactly the same no matter what you do then it will need to be sent to DJI to sort it.

2: If the issue is the horizon drifting when in flight from level to not and back and forth then this will be a firmware fix.
2015-7-17
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

As Splooge and Tahoe_Ed and others have pointed out, it appears the drift will eventually be corrected with FW, but persistent tilt cannot so we must resort to sending the P3 in for correction. I have been thinking of getting a repair as well, but the time and distance part of the equation causes my hesitation.

That being true, curiosity has gotten the best of me so I very carefully opened the back of my gimbal to see what things look like from a mechanical point of view. I did this in a very clean environment and used the utmost care, and did not touch anything indide. I looked, photographed, and then closed it up. NOTE! IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO OPEN YOUR GIMBAL MECHANISM - YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! I just hope I did not screw anything up.

As noted, I DO have a persistent tilt and have tried "everything" to correct it. Fortunately, the in-flight App roll adjustment DOES work for me. I don't have much of a drift problem though.  I am running 1.2.8 FW on a P3 Advanced and 1.1.0 Pilot App on a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4-inch (Android 4.4.2).

So here is what I found, and it is strange; my roll servo shaft flat portion was not parallel to the camera casing. It was a wee bit over 4 degrees off. The truly strange thing is that it is off-angle in the OPPOSITE direction I would have expected. MY horizon in video images are low on the left and high on the right, but the way the flat on the shaft is oriented, the opposite would result (IF it has anything at all to do with the issue, which I do not really know). That is, the flat on the shaft is low on left and high on right as well, but that would give the opposite in the image - like I said, strange.

Ultimately, I had this open for 2 minutes to see it and made no attempt at changing this and would not know how anyway - have zero clue how the level sensors work.  Does anyone know if this is normal, not normal, or ....???

2015-7-17
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

Interesting to see a pot in there at all...  In any case the 'level' position of the pot shaft will have little or nothing to do with the camera 'level'.  In all of the gimbal designs I've looked at there is an IMU IC either in the camera unit itself, or in the controller that detects angle.  Given that the P3 'auto calibrates' the gimbal I'm assuming it's down in the camera end of things...

Anyway, the major pain in the butt with this issue (Mine is occasionally out, but I just adjust it in the app) is that the app setting doesn't save the offset..  GAH!  

( Mine was out with previous firmware, but why oh why can't the setting you make in gimbal roll in the app save between flights? )
2015-7-17
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

aeriallens@gmai Posted at 2015-7-18 02:18
As Splooge and Tahoe_Ed and others have pointed out, it appears the drift will eventually be correct ...

I seem to remember a few P2V+ gimbal problems way back when similar to these. There was some sort of fix that required you go into that plate. It was very sporadic but since the gimbal structures are very similar I bet the process is the same. DO a search in the P2V+ forums. I will look also.
2015-7-17
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

Do this man..... I knew I remembered something about crooked gimbals on earlier models.

2015-7-17
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

aeriallens@gmai Posted at 2015-7-18 02:18
As Splooge and Tahoe_Ed and others have pointed out, it appears the drift will eventually be correct ...

2015-7-17
Use props
AlS78
New

United States

Good luck.  My P3P has been with DJI for 7 weeks.  DJI has set a new low for customer service.
2015-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules