Flying in the wind ...
2991 4 2021-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steelart99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77936 ft

United States

I'm fairly new with flyin my DJI FPV.  I live adjacent to some large fields and public wooded areas and I'm impacted by fairly high winds most of the time.  I get the high wind warning in my goggles all the time.

I've been flying with just the motion controller and have to tilt the drone just to keep flying in the direction I want to go while fighting against the wind.  Obviously, my recorded video shows this as my horizon is always tilted.  If I just try to rotate the controller, into the wind, to get the drone to fly the direction I want it to then I'm obviously rotating the camera and it looks like I'm flying sideways ... frankly I can't even get this to work most of the time.

Is there another way of using the motion controller to compensate for the wind without having all my videos showing tilted horizons?
2021-4-28
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

you can by the new Mavic ...
But seriously, you can't beat physics or aerodynamics ... even if you'd do it with the normal controller, which is perfectly possible - you'll be drifting like crazy with the wind and although flying horizontaly you'll als be going sideways a lot ...
2021-4-28
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77936 ft

United States

tomekyo Posted at 4-28 12:38
you can by the new Mavic ...
But seriously, you can't beat physics of aerodynamics ... even if you'd do it with the normal controller, which is perfectly possible - you'll be drifting like crazy with the wind and although flying horizontaly you'll als be going sideways a lot ...

Ha ... yeah, that is about what I figured.  Just thought I'd check to see if any of the more experienced pilots might have any "tricks"
2021-4-28
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Here in Idaho we get a lot of wind as well. I have lots of tilted horizons in my videos. Without having another axis on the gimbal, we either need to fly into the wind or with the wind to avoid the tilted horizon. I suppose it should be possible to move with the wind sideways in order to avoid the tilt but I don't know if you can do this with the motion controller.

The horizon is so tilted at times, it's comical. I've been amazed at how well the drone holds its position in such strong winds. According to Airdata.com, I've flown in 38mph winds. I upgraded my Airdata account to the least expensive paid version in order to get the calculated wind data. It's pretty fun to see the wind maps they provide. I also like to see the wind speeds at various altitudes.

I imagine the high wind is why I've apparently flown the drone at 102mph (according to Airdata) without ever switching to manual mode.
2021-4-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Steelart99. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. For reference, the DJI FPV have a maximum wind speed resistance of 39-49 kph ( 25-31 mph ). In addition I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who also live in windy places. Thank you.
2021-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules