Inspire 2 Lemon / Worst Customer Service I've Ever Received.
719 1 2021-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb93d4f33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6749 ft
United States

Company I work for invested in an Inspire 2 through B&H Photo. We unboxed and tested the Inspire. On its first flight - not even a minute in the sky, the drone took off, wouldn't respond to the controls and crashed (thankfully in a fresh bank of snow).

Although from a visual inspection, appeared to have very little damage, we returned to DJI to have them take a look. We submitted our flight logs, and after their inspection, they acknowledged that there was a faulty control unit or main board on the drone and replaced that for us - no cost. Funny that as I log into my account to look at the history of this repair, I'm having a hard time finding any record of it...

Fast forward a few months, my colleague and I are getting requests to test the Inspire indoors to consider capturing some footage inside. After doing a lot of research online, looked like other operators were having a fair amount of success indoors. We decided to - at a minimum - launch the drone in our open, large studio - maneuver it a foot or two from side to side to see how responsive it is. Based on the performance and responsiveness, it was clear that we weren't comfortable doing anything more than this test inside. I pressed the button to land the drone and the landing gear didn't respond. As I was attempting a 2nd time to land it, the drone had spun a bit and I had a hard time regaining control of it's path. It crashed into a light stand and dropped. I can acknowledge a lot of the fault for attempting to fly indoors, HOWEVER, no excuse for the landing gear failing to respond. Upon inspection, it was clear that the gimbal / camera were damaged, so shipped everything back to DJI for repair. Now, DJI acknowledged that there was something else they found that they were going to cover the cost of repair on - only charging us for the repairs to the gimbal and camera for this repair session. I felt this was completely reasonable and fair. We happily paid the requested repair costs.
Now...Before I get into the terrible customer service, Here's the timeline of events up to this point:

- November 2019 - Purchase - Over $8k- January 2020 - First test flight / drone took off, uncontrollable and unresponsive to any controls and crashed on 1st flight
- Late January - Early February  2020 - Repaired by DJI and returned
- Mid February 2020 - Tested repaired drone outdoors - multiple flights, worked beautifully
- Late February 2020 - Tested indoors / Crashed. Gimbal and camera were noticeably damaged.
- Late February 2020 - Mid March 2020 - Repaired by DJI
- Mid March 2020 - COVID hits, my colleague and I were sent to work from home
- Week or 2 after we were sent home - tracking note that DJI had returned the "repaired" drone to the work address.
- End March 2020 - March 2021 - "Repaired" drone sat in the box in the studio until we took it for it's first post-repair flight.

Being that there was a worldwide pandemic going on and that the company we work for AND the government desired that those who can work from home, should, testing what we - in good faith - believed to be a repaired, working $8K drone was not on the front of our minds...

Fast forward to March 2021. We are more frequently returning to the office - maybe once a week now. We unbox the "repaired" Inspire and take it out for a test flight. Although the flight seems normal, we cannot get the camera to focus. We also cannot toggle to manual adjust mode in the menu. Option is greyed out. We land the drone, troubleshoot as best we can, try again and still have the same issues. I emailed DJI support, they send me things to try. After trying those suggestions to no avail, I call DJI support and they suggest I return the drone for repair. So we box it up again to return. Yes, 1 full year has passed since this drone was touched. Understandably, this was a long time to not test, but would also hope that there'd be some understanding to the unique circumstances of the pandemic thrown in the mix. Here's where DJI loses me on customer service....

1) Phone call with DJI support. It's clear that there is a language barrier between the CSR and myself. I'm not getting the sense that there's an understanding of the issues I'm having with the drone. I explain twice the issues I'm having, then eventually it leads to them recommending I send the drone in for repair.
2) DJI receives the drone and sends back a $600 fee to repair the camera issue.
3) I promptly jump on a call to dispute this - as it came right out of the box from their repair shop to have fixed this problem.
4) Once again, language barrier makes this a very difficult and long conversation - being put on hold multiple times so the CSR can research the history on this.
5) They say that they have no way of knowing that I'm being truthful about having issues with the focus on its first flight after being repaired. I offered syncing my flight logs, but they didn't want that.
6) She then says she'll submit a dispute and that I'd hear back in 48 hours - but made sure that they couldn't guarantee anything.
7) 1-2 weeks later, I have received an email reminding me to pay the $600, but no record that I was disputing this cost.
8) I jump on a chat, not wanting to waste more time on a call. This first chat, the CSR says that they see there is a dispute, but they're backed up, needing more time to respond. No prob.
9)  Another week passes, get another reminder to pay. Still no record of the dispute.
10) Monday, April 26, 2021 - Hop on another chat. I tell this individual that I was told we'd hear something in 48 hours about our dispute, it's been weeks. They file a 2nd dispute.
10) Wednesday, April 28, 2021 - Received a 3rd email - saying if we don't pay the $600, they will ship the unrepaired drone back to us. I hop on a chat again to make sure the dispute went through. This particular CSR was fairly disrespectful, informed us that the dispute was denied and that we have to cover the cost to repair.

I took screen grabs of the entire conversation because I was pretty upset and in shock about the entire experience and difficutly even finding history of everything on my DJI account. Here is word for word the part that upset me most:

DJI: The warranty for a drone after repair is 30 days
DJI: And the long time storage could also cause the problem
Me: There was no way we could fly in 30 days being we were sent to work from home due to COVID.
DJI: Sorry the case will not be covered under warranty according to the service center.
DJI: You could test it.
DJI: We can totally understand that your work got suspended because of COVID, but please try to understand that we are also limited by the policies, and it is hardly the DJI's problem that you cannot test the drone.

But... it was DJI's problem that the drone wasn't properly repaired in the previous repair session that I paid to have them repair. But as I've read many others saying. Appears DJI doesn't want to stand behind their product after it's sent out the door and ALSO doesn't want to stand behind the quality of their repairs.

In full disclosure, first thing I did after ending this chat and paying another repair fee for this overpriced drone is start looking up DJI's competition. Not sure I'd like to consider another DJI product after this experience. If any other frustrated customers have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

2021-4-28
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to read about the frustrations you've encountered on your active case and with the DJI Inspire 2. We would like to confirm some information as I have pulled up the E-mail conversation you had using your DJI Forum Account. We would like to confirm and verify the case number, could you please PM me the case number? Thank you.
2021-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules