Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MattCaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251358 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-4 17:45
I was warning the other members here about a flaw in the design that could negatively affect their use of the product. I posted this warning many months ago after communicating directly with the company owner and just wanted to remind people that it is not perfect by a long shot. And speaking of "good info", wouldn't that also apply to describing the shortcoming? It is not a perfect world regardless of what you may think.

And using insults is never "good info" either.

So it looks like 6 feet is the magic number not 8 like you said.   It's not a flaw in the design, it's how it's designed.  As they said they made it that way on purpose.

Geez man.. lighten up life's too short to pop a blood vessel over me saying "You're just a ray of sunshine aren't you.  8-)"     <--- notice the smilie face in the original post.  That denotes humor not anger.  
I guess you and your other down voters can try and cancel me for making a sarcastic comment with humor.

2021-5-4
Use props
Raven850
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

Controller antennas in the wrong position as well
2021-5-5
Use props
BertrandR
lvl.2

United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-2 14:16
Keep in mind that this device will not work unless the water is at least 8 feet deep. It operates on pressure and in shallow water there is not as much pressure. I can't use it because most of my over-water flying is in water less than 10 feet.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I had ordered one of those floats from Geter Back and they had none in stock so I was waiting for it. But then I read your post and knew if that was true it would not work for me in the shallws of SouthCarolina coast areas near me. The ad says it works in less than 10 feet so I thought that meant any depth. I sent an email to the com pany and got back a message that it would not. Fortunately I could cancel it. I would have been extremely mad if I had lost my new a2s thinking it would be found and it was not. Thanks again!!!

Do you know of any others that will work for me? Anyone?

2021-5-5
Use props
CTT Channel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7843156 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Heyyy Suren thanks for sharing, I have learnt a lot of things with your thread
2021-5-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

CTT Channel Posted at 5-5 06:34
Heyyy Suren thanks for sharing, I have learnt a lot of things with your thread

You're welcome
2021-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

MattCaz Posted at 5-4 22:13
So it looks like 6 feet is the magic number not 8 like you said.   It's not a flaw in the design, it's how it's designed.  As they said they made it that way on purpose.

Geez man.. lighten up life's too short to pop a blood vessel over me saying "You're just a ray of sunshine aren't you.  8-)"

I wouldn’t be worried about the Downvoters you’ll find they never actually contribute. And you hurt his feelings because you just happened to hit so close to the bone.
While I have to say getterbacks are probably a waste of time and as long as I’ve been flying a drone I have never heard once of this contraption saving anyone’s drone, on the other hand I have read of many warranties being disputed because of direct interfering and adding third party hardware to dji drones.

If you really want a good laugh ask Gary to show you what he used to try prop his drone if it fell into water.
Once under warranty all dji drones are covered for malfunction over water, becoming a better more confident pilot will take care of the rest.
2021-5-5
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-5 11:27
I wouldn’t be worried about the Downvoters you’ll find they never actually contribute. And you hurt his feelings because you just happened to hit so close to the bone.
While I have to say getterbacks are probably a waste of time and as long as I’ve been flying a drone I have never heard once of this contraption saving anyone’s drone, on the other hand I have read of many warranties being disputed because of direct interfering and adding third party hardware to dji drones.

Thanks for the input.  My only concern is that without the drone, Care refresh won't cover it and if its covered under the Flyaway coverage it's like $500.   Having said all that, living in Arizona I have yet to fly over anything bigger than a puddle although I might go Fly over some of the bigger lakes.

thanks again for taking the time to reply with your thoughts.

Matt
2021-5-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MattCaz Posted at 5-4 16:23
I would say the same about your negativity.  All I did was offer up something that was made to assist and you're reply was to point out a problem with it.   As for it being out of place and not appreciated here, I didn't appreciate you dumping all over my attempt to provide some good info for anyone who might be interested in this product.  I don't work for them and I don't sell them.  No good turn goes unpunished.

You fly yours and I'll fly mine.  have a great day!

The Getterback has been discussed at great length some years ago, and its limitations seemed to discourage many from taking an interest in the product. Don't criticise a poster when they point out those limitations.
2021-5-5
Use props
djiuser_Vh1o8g8o6P2Y
lvl.3
Flight distance : 811788 ft
United States

MattCaz Posted at 5-2 11:48
I have one of these in case I ever get the desire to go flying over water with my mini 2, MA2 or Air 2s.
https://www.getterback.com/

Just wondering, what purpose is served in "getting her back?  Only the sd card I would guess.  Certainly a DJI drone is not going to ever fly again after going in and most parts will be ruined for any use elsewhere. While the SD card MAY be readable upon recovery, the odds aren't good, especially if saltwater is involved.
2021-5-5
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_Vh1o8g8o6P2Y Posted at 5-5 16:35
Just wondering, what purpose is served in "getting her back?  Only the sd card I would guess.  Certainly a DJI drone is not going to ever fly again after going in and most parts will be ruined for any use elsewhere. While the SD card MAY be readable upon recovery, the odds aren't good, especially if saltwater is involved.

In order to get a replacement under the terms of Care Refresh.. you need to have a drone to send them.  Thats the purpose behind it.
2021-5-5
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-5 15:08
The Getterback has been discussed at great length some years ago, and its limitations seemed to discourage many from taking an interest in the product. Don't criticise a poster when they point out those limitations.

Granted.. it's not a product for everyone, but  it might prove useful to someone and yes, with the limitations pointed out here they can make an educated consumer decision.

But if I didn't post it would a new drone owner know about it? Would they know if it might be something that could help them by letting them retrieve the drone to get a care refresh replacement?

I didn't make the post for the people who already know about it and have decided it's a POS.. the post was there for those who don't.

2021-5-5
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

BertrandR Posted at 5-5 06:12
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I had ordered one of those floats from Geter Back and they had none in stock so I was waiting for it. But then I read your post and knew if that was true it would not work for me in the shallws of SouthCarolina coast areas near me. The ad says it works in less than 10 feet so I thought that meant any depth. I sent an email to the com pany and got back a message that it would not. Fortunately I could cancel it. I would have been extremely mad if I had lost my new a2s thinking it would be found and it was not. Thanks again!!!
"Do you know of any others that will work for me? Anyone?"

No I don't. A few others have existed but quickly went away after proving unreliable. I never said the GetterBack product was a waste of money, quite the contrary. I just wanted to let every one know the limitation that I discovered that was not clearly revealed on their web site. If I was operating in another environment. I might actually buy one, maybe I will later.

Now for the good laugh. This is the block of Styro than I fashioned as an emergency float for my first Mini. It worked far better than the commercial pontoon floats because it has much less wind resistance. I used it for a few 15 minute flights over water and then pretty much forgot about it.
2021-5-5
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-5 18:25
"Do you know of any others that will work for me? Anyone?"

No I don't. A few others have existed but quickly went away after proving unreliable. I never said the GetterBack product was a waste of money, quite the contrary. I just wanted to let every one know the limitation that I discovered that was not clearly revealed on their web site. If I was operating in another environment. I might actually buy one, maybe I will later.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I've seen a mini do a cartwheel with those stupid landing gear floats on it.

No doubt about you getting the drone back with the Styro on it.  8-)
2021-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MattCaz Posted at 5-5 14:27
Thanks for the input.  My only concern is that without the drone, Care refresh won't cover it and if its covered under the Flyaway coverage it's like $500.   Having said all that, living in Arizona I have yet to fly over anything bigger than a puddle although I might go Fly over some of the bigger lakes.

thanks again for taking the time to reply with your thoughts.

Care refresh is a separate thing to warranty, if your drone malfunctions then warranty will cover it, if you crash it into the water yes you need the drone to get refresh, flyaway is same cost and is covered by refresh.
The point is getterback is third party hardware and breaks the refresh contract, and asa i said above I have yet to see any drone salvaged by getterback. Flying over water is safer than land, less signal interference almost no obstacles, this is not rocket science.
2021-5-6
Use props
flybones1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2037487 ft
United States

Hey, “Labroides”, how does crashing, and losing a new drone, make you a “loser”. This guy had a bad day and made a mistake with new and unfamiliar equipment. He has probably flown over the sea numerous times this other platforms, without a problem. Did he make mistakes? Maybe. Have we all? I sure have. The difference is where most of us have gotten lucky in precarious situations, this pilot did not. But to label the guy a “loser”, gives people a look into your character. He didn’t have to share this accident, with all of us. But he did so we all could learn just a little something. Him doing so might save someone else from the same, or a similar fate. Based on what little I know about this guy, he seems pretty accomplished, and far from a “loser”.  So I say to this unfortunate guy, “ sorry you lost your drone, And thanks for sharing”. As for all the Monday morning QB’s,” lighten up”. The guy already paid dearly for his mistake.

2021-5-6
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-6 03:43
Care refresh is a separate thing to warranty, if your drone malfunctions then warranty will cover it, if you crash it into the water yes you need the drone to get refresh, flyaway is same cost and is covered by refresh.
The point is getterback is third party hardware and breaks the refresh contract, and asa i said above I have yet to see any drone salvaged by getterback. Flying over water is safer than land, less signal interference almost no obstacles, this is not rocket science.

So following your logic, would putting a 3rd party  strobe on the drone void the care refresh warranty as well? I wouldn't think so.  Also a replacement under flyaway is more than 3 times the cost for a normal care refresh claim,  $499 vs. 119/139/149.
2021-5-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

flybones1 Posted at 5-6 05:49
Hey, “Labroides”, how does crashing, and losing a new drone, make you a “loser”. This guy had a bad day and made a mistake with new and unfamiliar equipment. He has probably flown over the sea numerous times this other platforms, without a problem. Did he make mistakes? Maybe. Have we all? I sure have. The difference is where most of us have gotten lucky in precarious situations, this pilot did not. But to label the guy a “loser”, gives people a look into your character. He didn’t have to share this accident, with all of us. But he did so we all could learn just a little something. Him doing so might save someone else from the same, or a similar fate. Based on what little I know about this guy, he seems pretty accomplished, and far from a “loser”.  So I say to this unfortunate guy, “ sorry you lost your drone, And thanks for sharing”. As for all the Monday morning QB’s,” lighten up”. The guy already paid dearly for his mistake.

Hey, “Labroides”, how does crashing, and losing a new drone, make you a “loser”.
He lost the drone, he's a loser.
Particularly when he makes a bonehead mistake, but thinks he an expert with plenty to teach others.
And doubly so when even after the incident he can't understand any of the dumb things he did and blames DJI.

This guy had a bad day and made a mistake with new and unfamiliar equipment.
No .. all DJI drones fly the same.
His mistake was from Beginner Drone FLying 101 - Know your wind direction.
Then he compounded the initial mistake by failing to do any of the things he could have done to save the situation.
And he thinks he can teach others !!

He has probably flown over the sea numerous times this other platforms, without a problem. Did he make mistakes? Maybe.
Maybe?
You haven't read what I wrote.

Have we all? I sure have. The difference is where most of us have gotten lucky in precarious situations, this pilot did not. But to label the guy a “loser”, gives people a look into your character. He didn’t have to share this accident, with all of us. But he did so we all could learn just a little something.
You didn't listen to the loser did you?
He was saying that there was a problem with the drone and DJI's programming.
That's what he was "sharing".

Him doing so might save someone else from the same, or a similar fate.
How about me pointing out what actually went wrong and how it could have been avoided might help some other flyers.
But not him telling new flyers that there's a problem with the machine.

Based on what little I know about this guy, he seems pretty accomplished, and far from a “loser”.  So I say to this unfortunate guy, “ sorry you lost your drone, And thanks for sharing”. As for all the Monday morning QB’s,” lighten up”. The guy already paid dearly for his mistake.
He doesn't even recognise that he made a mistake (or quite a few mistakes)
He's a blowhard and he bluffed you to think he's accomplished.

2021-5-6
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sadly I think most of these videos where people test the limits of drones over water are doing merely for the YouTube views and no other reason. Lets face it, he made money off of us watching his video. He had the extra cash to throw away because he knew he would make twice (or more) the cost of the drone in viewer revenue.

2021-5-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MattCaz Posted at 5-6 06:50
So following your logic, would putting a 3rd party  strobe on the drone void the care refresh warranty as well? I wouldn't think so.  Also a replacement under flyaway is more than 3 times the cost for a normal care refresh claim,  $499 vs. 119/139/149.

Well if strobe causes craft to crash yes, also if you divulge to DJI you had third party accessories on your craft they are well within their rights to void your warranty.

I think this is very simple getterback “so far “ certainly on this forum has got nothing back, how many pilots have recovered through experience their drone where others less experienced would have lost their drone, I’d say many, so learning to fly is a lot more successful than getterback and I’m certain costs less.

With flyaway yes you are correct 499 and that’s a high price to pay considering you still have the RC , so its really a non entity. If your drone flys away because of malfunction then its 100% covered by warranty.

So putting on getterback will keep your drone afloat while you hire a boat buy a boat , strip off and swim before it goes over the Fall’s , hopefully avoid getting eaten by a shark.

I think what I’m trying to say is keep your money and be careful what you reveal to DJI if you have a crash.
2021-5-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

flybones1 Posted at 5-6 05:49
Hey, “Labroides”, how does crashing, and losing a new drone, make you a “loser”. This guy had a bad day and made a mistake with new and unfamiliar equipment. He has probably flown over the sea numerous times this other platforms, without a problem. Did he make mistakes? Maybe. Have we all? I sure have. The difference is where most of us have gotten lucky in precarious situations, this pilot did not. But to label the guy a “loser”, gives people a look into your character. He didn’t have to share this accident, with all of us. But he did so we all could learn just a little something. Him doing so might save someone else from the same, or a similar fate. Based on what little I know about this guy, he seems pretty accomplished, and far from a “loser”.  So I say to this unfortunate guy, “ sorry you lost your drone, And thanks for sharing”. As for all the Monday morning QB’s,” lighten up”. The guy already paid dearly for his mistake.

I have to say I fully agree with loser being the nicest way to describe this Guy, if you go to his You Tub Channel and watch both Air2 Videos he made you’ll soon realize he cares little about how or where he flys , he believes he’s entitled to a free drone from DJI because he is trying to absolve himself of all blame for his ridiculous flight, he also tried to fool others making up stuff about a license to fly BVLOS which was total crap. He’s an exibitionists who thrives on views and clicks and his ignorance knows no bounds.
Being sympathetic to this guy won’t help him learn anything , he gives it straight so he should be able to accept that.
2021-5-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't agree with insulting anyone. It accomplishes nothing but to make them an adversary even more entrenched in their mistaken opinions. I have a reading suggestion for a few members here, written about 85 years ago and still a best seller ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-F ... eople/dp/0671027034

2021-5-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GaryDoug Posted at 5-6 12:03
I don't agree with insulting anyone. It accomplishes nothing but to make them an adversary even more entrenched in their mistaken opinions. I have a reading suggestion for a few members here, written about 85 years ago and still a best seller ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034

We should all ignore post 41, because you obviously have never bought or read that book, people in glass houses and all that ….
2021-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules