Battery Discharge Time on Mavic Mini
3602 4 2021-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AJ356
lvl.4
Flight distance : 224446 ft
United States

Hey! This is my first post here, so hello to everyone.

I got my Mavic Mini a few days ago, and today I did all the calibration needed to properly fly it. In the time that I did this (which took a little longer than expected since I started over one of the procedures), the battery level went down by almost 18%, and the drone didn't even take off.

So my question is, about how much battery percentage is lost when the drone is: not in the air? flying at an average speed of 5 m/s? recording video?
I know these values will fluctuate due to variables like wind speed (which depends on height), transmission signal, and a few other things, but I just want to have a general idea of what's going on with the battery as I perform several actions.

And can I record video even if the drone isn't flying?

Thanks in advance
2021-4-29
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

battery level went down by almost 18%, and the drone didn't even take off.

Down by 18% or down to 18%?  That it would not take off tells me that it went down to 18% (or used 82% to state it differently).  I can't say that I have ever timed it sitting on the ground.  In flight, I usually get 25 minutes or so on a climb, hover taking video, and descend with some battery reserve at the end.

And can I record video even if the drone isn't flying?

Yes, you can take still photos and videos when sitting on the ground.  Only thing you can't do is take QuickShots - which requires that you be flying.

One thing to keep in mind when the drone is powered and not flying is that there is no air circulation inside and you can get a CPU overtemp alarm after a while - especially if it is hot where you are..
2021-4-29
Use props
AJ356
lvl.4
United States

K6CCC Posted at 4-29 13:03
battery level went down by almost 18%, and the drone didn't even take off.

Down by 18% or down to 18%?  That it would not take off tells me that it went down to 18% (or used 82% to state it differently).  I can't say that I have ever timed it sitting on the ground.  In flight, I usually get 25 minutes or so on a climb, hover taking video, and descend with some battery reserve at the end.

Thanks for the replay. It went down by 18%, so it went from 100 to 82. I flew it today (which was awesome!!!) and used all the modes (P, C, S) with Sport mode obviously using the most battery.

Will placing it on top of a laptop cooler help with the overheat while nit flying?
2021-4-29
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

AJ356 Posted at 4-29 14:43
Thanks for the replay. It went down by 18%, so it went from 100 to 82. I flew it today (which was awesome!!!) and used all the modes (P, C, S) with Sport mode obviously using the most battery.

Will placing it on top of a laptop cooler help with the overheat while nit flying?

If it was down to 82%, it should have not prevented flying unless there was something else going on.

The laptop cooler might help.  Under normal circumstances, there is very little reason to have the drone powered up for long periods without flying.
2021-4-29
Use props
AJ356
lvl.4
United States

K6CCC Posted at 4-29 17:28
If it was down to 82%, it should have not prevented flying unless there was something else going on.

The laptop cooler might help.  Under normal circumstances, there is very little reason to have the drone powered up for long periods without flying.

Alright, makes sense. I was indoors and my phone has been acting lately, so maybe there were problems with the signal, and maybe it used more battery to get a stronger connection. But I don't know, I'm no expert.

As for having the drone powered without flying, I was thinking of maybe using it for occasional "time lapses" (picture intervals), but I'm sure I'll need to  turn it off and replace the battery.

Well @K6CCC, you've been of great help! Thanks for your time
2021-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules