Oc 2 & 3 vs trees
1736 18 2021-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dark Horse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175276 ft
United States

I live/fly in a very hilly wooded area. I lose signal quickly with the MM Wi-Fi. How much better will the OC 2/3 handle the terrain and the trees vs the Wi-Fi I'm dealing with now?
2021-5-1
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

THe Mini is just enhanced c is MUCH better...no comparison...But, trees and hills are not a good area for any but Occusync will be better...no doubt
2021-5-1
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

OC is way better than WiFi standard and as long you have visual line with the drone and you are pointing the controller in the proper direction it will work nicely.
2021-5-1
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 5-1 11:04
OC is way better than WiFi standard and as long you have visual line with the drone and you are pointing the controller in the proper direction it will work nicely.

So we have have 115 acres I would like to be in the center which is elevated, and fly the perimeter. There is a creek around 1/2 of the perimeter that I would like to stay just above and fly, so this becomes a problem with the terrain and the trees.
2021-5-1
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

I usually fly from the top of my house (3 meters or so) and with the Air 2S in CE mode I fly with no problems in a 3Km radious, and are some tall trees, buildings and antennas around.

Sometimes if I just want to fly to 2km or less I just sit in a chair at ground level and point the controller in the direction.

For example, I can fly behind a building that is 50 meters tall at 1.5Km distance and still maintain connection, so the signal penetration is quite good.

My personal record is about 4.8Km with the Air2S and about 3.8Km with the Mini 2. Of course the higher you are, the better, there's a 200 meter high mountain near my house with a nice line of sight, and if I took off from there I think I could do 6Km or more easily.

As long as you keep the line of sight free from obstacles and the controller pointed in the direction you can get 3+ Km easily... I can even fly up to 500m or so from inside my house XD
2021-5-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You should first get out of the habit of calling the control signal WiFi. It is NOT Wifi and bears no resemblance to WiFi. It just happens to use the same radio band as WiFi.
2021-5-1
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-1 19:53
You should first get out of the habit of calling the control signal WiFi. It is NOT Wifi and bears no resemblance to WiFi. It just happens to use the same radio band as WiFi.

Will this help?
2021-5-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Geebax Posted at 5-1 19:53

The Mavic Mini he has uses Wi-Fi standard for video transmission.
2021-5-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 5-2 03:42
The Mavic Mini he has uses Wi-Fi standard for video transmission.

It claims to use enhanced WiFi, that is not the same.

2021-5-2
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-2 15:08
It claims to use enhanced WiFi, that is not the same.

Let's not get caught up in semantics. This does not solve any problems. The question remains regardless of how I call out its signal. Let's stick to the plan and answer the question. So, enhanced or not, my paperwork says wifi. My QUESTION is, and was, will the Oculus 2 or 3 cut through the trees better? And if it will, how much better? I lost my drone because of the interference and some things that were still on the learning curve at the time. I'm trying to get some info, not a spelling lesson. ( I did find my drone BTW, but I would prefer not to revisit that experience).
2021-5-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dark Horse Posted at 5-2 16:39
Let's not get caught up in semantics. This does not solve any problems. The question remains regardless of how I call out its signal. Let's stick to the plan and answer the question. So, enhanced or not, my paperwork says wifi. My QUESTION is, and was, will the Oculus 2 or 3 cut through the trees better? And if it will, how much better? I lost my drone because of the interference and some things that were still on the learning curve at the time. I'm trying to get some info, not a spelling lesson. ( I did find my drone BTW, but I would prefer not to revisit that experience).

You sound very confident, but somewhat arrogant. I am therefore certain you can work it out yourself. Just a hint for future reference, this is a user forum, DJI will not help you out. It is up to the various members to offer assistance, but if you p*ss them off with attitude, you will get little help. If you want help, be humble.
2021-5-2
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-2 17:13
You sound very confident, but somewhat arrogant. I am therefore certain you can work it out yourself. Just a hint for future reference, this is a user forum, DJI will not help you out. It is up to the various members to offer assistance, but if you p*ss them off with attitude, you will get little help. If you want help, be humble.

Geebax, I've given this some thought, and you're right, I am very confidant. A lack of selfconfidence or selfesteem is not something that I've ever suffered from. And through my life it's gotten me in, and out, of trouble. So there's that. But as far as being arrogant, no, that's not me, that would be you. At each step of this conversation, 3 times now, you have had an opportunity to offer assistance, or refrain from speaking, either or, but instead of help, you've made it a point to critique. Which, frankly, is the part of the arrogant. You're better and smarter than me, just not smart enough to actually help. Instead you look down your nose at my perceived naivety and proclaim yourself superior, again, all the while, offering no assistance. Who this helps, I am not sure, but perhaps you should heed your own advice and consider humility. It's a powerful thing.
2021-5-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It will help to Listen to Geebax, he has much knowledge on this subject and flying drones....
2021-5-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Dark Horse Posted at 5-1 14:05
So we have have 115 acres I would like to be in the center which is elevated, and fly the perimeter. There is a creek around 1/2 of the perimeter that I would like to stay just above and fly, so this becomes a problem with the terrain and the trees.

Its strange you have all the math, easy work out, fly up and forward continue to fly forward until signal gets weak the raise up to get better signal etc etc etc. but just know if you block signal its blocked full stop.

Sometimes if you need the shot just simply hike…
2021-5-4
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-4 13:11
Its strange you have all the math, easy work out, fly up and forward continue to fly forward until signal gets weak the raise up to get better signal etc etc etc. but just know if you block signal its blocked full stop.

Sometimes if you need the shot just simply hike…

Hallmark007, thank you for your response, your recommendation is what I am doing now, (after having lost the drone once, due to signal loss and being unfamiliar with everything). What I hope to do is drop down and skim the creek, maybe 10' in the air. I can't do this with the "enhanced Wi-Fi" that the MM runs on. I was hoping that the OC 2 or 3 would cut right through the trees.
2021-5-4
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Spain

Under 2Km the signal penetration is quite good, from there on better with LOS.

I fly in CE mode, but in FCC the signal is much powerful, so I doubt you'll have any problems.
2021-5-5
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Dark Horse - The trees will block the occusync signal also. How much would depend on the distance, the amount of trees etc. Not an exact science. Just for the record flying BVLOS - beyond visual line of sight, is not legal in the US. Also if the RTH is set to return on loss of signal at a height higher than the objects between you, it should come back (on loss of signal). The Mini ,Mini 2 & Air 2S all operate the same way as they have to be set properly before flight for RTH, some updates  may reset your previous settings!
2021-5-5
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

If I were to guess a Mini 2 or Air 2s will probably go 2-5 times as far as the original mini with the type of obstacles you are mentioning.
2021-5-5
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

videoeditman Posted at 5-5 12:12
Dark Horse - The trees will block the occusync signal also. How much would depend on the distance, the amount of trees etc. Not an exact science. Just for the record flying BVLOS - beyond visual line of sight, is not legal in the US. Also if the RTH is set to return on loss of signal at a height higher than the objects between you, it should come back (on loss of signal). The Mini ,Mini 2 & Air 2S all operate the same way as they have to be set properly before flight for RTH, some updates  may reset your previous settings!

Hello videoeditman, When I was first flying my drone, I discovered that I could use an older spare phone for my monitor, but I didn't update the RTH elevation with the "new" phone. That's where I ran into some trouble. Beyond that, all flying is done on my personal property, in the middle of nowhere, and I am still learning the drone, the software and a few other things in between.

Thanks!
2021-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules