DJI battery is only rated for 100 cycles.
19777 10 2021-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stefan Zimmermann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4719222 ft
  • >>>
Germany

What do you think about this?
DJI explicitly recommends not to fly more than 100 cycles per battery.
Each flight costs 1.50€.
If it comes after 100 cycles to a crash, it certainly does not go on warranty and probably not on Care Refresh.

Source:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_FPV/DJI_FPV_Disclaimer_and_Safety_Guidelines_9.pdf
2021-5-1
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

If the battery wouldn't charge after 100 cycles, then this would be a problem. Otherwise, it's pretty normal for a LiPo pack to degrade with use and with time. The life of a LiPo pack can be greatly impacted by how low it is discharged, how high it is charged and the rate of discharge. There are all sorts of other factors which effect the life of a LiPo pack. 100 cycles seems like it's DJI's guess on how long you can expect the pack to perform well.

Packs which are treated gently by not flying at full power and not drained until the pack is empty will last a lot longer than packs which are treated brutally. I don't see anything unusual about the 100 cycle spec from DJI. I'll be surprised if many people aren't able to continue flying with a pack well over 100 cycles. There will likely be some packs which get abused and don't last 100 cycles.
2021-5-1
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

My 4 batteries are 97% charged coming off the charger.  I hardly fly anymore anyway.  Flown a lot last year commercially and a bit the year before.
2021-5-1
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1775299 ft
United States

If you have 4+ than 100 cycles will take you some time but yah a little worrying, I  have 6
2021-5-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Stefan Zimmermann. Thanks for reaching out! Please be advised that this is a suggested safety guideline. In addition, the DJI FPV drone has a faster flight speed and stronger propulsion performance than other consumer-level aircraft, leading to higher requirements on the power output of the battery. Therefore, we had to consider setting a lower cycle count limit compared to that of the other consumer-level models.
2021-5-2
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you do high discharge runs, it will deplete the battery far quicker than if using normal mode or sport mode. If you run the battery right down on every flight, it will deplete the battery quicker and run the risk of damaging the cells of the battery. It's finding that comfort zone of flying style and landing voltage or percentage in DJI's case. It would be interesting to see the C rating of the batteries though. The website states it as follows -

Battery Capacity: 2000 mAh

Voltage: 22.2 V

Max Charging: Voltage 25.2 V

Battery Type: LiPo 6S

Energy: 44.4 Wh@0.5C

Discharge Rate: Standard: 10C
Weight: 295 g

Charging Temperature: 5° to 40° C (41° to 104° F)

Max Charging Power: 90 W

For my normal FPV kwads, anything under 100c is considered not good enough.

2021-5-2
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677028 ft
United States

DJI rated their batteries for 100 cycles. Tire makers rate their tires for 40,000 mi (for instance). It’s not to say you can’t go further, or shorter, depending on how you use them.

I have read a lot on battery technology. Like Corey said, don’t discharge your batteries too low and you can extend their life. Below is a shot from Battery University. Note how large depth of discharge greatly shortens battery longevity. Land the drone at 20-30% remaining and you’re helping your battery.

Temperatures have a big impact on LiPos too. Store them in a cool place. Refrigerator storage is best for longer term!
2021-5-2
Use props
eisenfliege
lvl.3
Germany

100 Cycles seems to be really bad.  My simpler batteries for RC Planes and Freestyle drones last much longer even on the models where I use it more than 40C. I have just now 2 Batteries with around 300 Cyles in use with a remaining capacity > 90 % and good internal resistance values. I never discharged them under 20 % and stored them always with 60 % charged.
It would expect with an included battery management system the DJI batteries should last longer.
2021-5-2
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677028 ft
United States

They will last longer, especially if you care for them as it seems you do.

They’re just ‘rated’ to 100 cycles which is an on-paper statement of how long DJI predicts they will perform without any degradation or problem. An On-paper prediction. It’s just a rating, a legal CYA.

Your car tires are rated for 40,000 miles. Will they explode at 40,001 mi?
That bridge is rated for 500,000 lbs. Will it collapse at 500,001?
Pressure tanks are rated to a PSI, will they explode if pressurized a little above that limit?
That airliner is rated at a max speed of say 500 kts. Will the wings rip off at 501 kts?
2021-5-2
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

2000mAh@10C for a quad that’s claimed to be high performance?? I think DJI are being rather generous in their assumption that the battery packs are good for a 100cycles. I wouldn’t consider using a battery that could not sustain a current draw of at least 60Amp on my 5inch freestyle quads. No wonder the DJI quad appears gutless.
2021-5-2
Use props
djiuser_Ks5LZHST1kqX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 948123 ft
United States

It all really depends on what variables DJI used when determining their cycle count. To what voltage are we charging to? You can easily stretch your battery's life span by not charging them to as high of a cell voltage. It also depends on what they are testing to, is it 100 cycles to 90% capacity? 85%? 80% without knowing what the variables were we could be talking about anything. But overall, 100 cycles "rating" for a battery is abysmally poor and leads me to believe they are "over certifying" their batteries, as in calling them junk when they reach only having 90% of their original capacity, etc.
2022-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules