In-Air Failure
530 19 2021-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3362310 ft
United States

Greetings to all. Im new to this dji forum and brand new to drones. I just purchased the Air 2s from bestbuy on 4/17(in store). Registered with FAA before everything was taken out of the box(except the drone itself). Paid for the 1yr care refresh. Everytime before a flight I get my lannc approval(class D here, I'm right on the border line). Last night I was buzzing around my neighborhood and needed to bring it home(because of laanc). I was about 150ft up and stopped about 100ft from my house(over the street, no dwellings or people or cars around), decided to put it in sport mode, moved the joystick foward, and all was well for about 10 seconds, then the drone started spinning out of control and crashed into the edge of the neighbors flower bed(no birds around, and was in complete line of sight. I do have dji care refresh, but the reciept for bestbuy is good until today(5/2).

1- How can I decipher what went wrong to cause this?
2- Would it make sense to replace this through best buy?

20210501_222057-2.jpg
2021-5-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

sorry for your loss.

best to get help/advice is to upload your flightlog, using this > http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Post the upload link on here, or just put a cloud link to your flightlog.

cheers
JJB
2021-5-2
Use props
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
United States

Many thanks. I don't know where my log view is. I would prefer to post it on phantom help.
2021-5-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

VengefulHemi Posted at 5-2 07:59
Many thanks. I don't know where my log view is. I would prefer to post it on phantom help.

I would prefer to post it on phantom help.
Just post it.

2021-5-2
Use props
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-2 08:12
I would prefer to post it on phantom help.
Just post it.

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AvMlwpOGTjlDaeh4YPci4aPA_gU
2021-5-2
Use props
LoveYou
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16525367 ft
Greece

Looking like Propeller Fell Off but i am no sure, let's wait for someone to know better our response.
2021-5-2
Use props
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
United States

Just got out of best buy. They are replacing My 2s with brand new to be delivered tomorrow.  But after checking the profile on the app, this is what I found:

Screenshot_20210502-130156.jpg
Screenshot_20210502-130118.jpg
2021-5-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Nothing to be found in he log before it started to fall down....
Did you find it with all 8 blades attached  ?

At the end many errors ofcourse like motor blocked and propeller fell off, this after approx 7 seconds after dropping down.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2021-5-2
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251358 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not an aeronautical engineer and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but from what I can make out based on the initial radical pitch change and then the roll input I would agree that it looks like a prop came off or some other prop issue.
2021-5-2
Use props
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
United States

JJB* Posted at 5-2 11:11
Hi,

Nothing to be found in he log before it started to fall down....
[Image]

Actually, one set was missing off the drone. Dont recall exactly, but im pretty sure it was a rear set. But cannot tell if ut occured in flight or at impact with ground. Looked briefly but couldnt find thr props.. was that my telemetry info you posted?
2021-5-2
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251358 ft
  • >>>
United States

VengefulHemi Posted at 5-2 11:41
Actually, one set was missing off the drone. Dont recall exactly, but im pretty sure it was a rear set. But cannot tell if ut occured in flight or at impact with ground. Looked briefly but couldnt find thr props.. was that my telemetry info you posted?

If a rear set was missing then I do believe that would cause the pitch up and the spin as one of the rear arms has no generated lift.
2021-5-2
Use props
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
United States

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know(roughly) what these prop rpm's are at any given time?
2021-5-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

VengefulHemi Posted at 5-2 13:38
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know(roughly) what these prop rpm's are at any given time?

Get the .dat file from the MCDatFlightRecords folder in dji.go.v5. If there are no files there , you may have the Sync turned on.
2021-5-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

VengefulHemi Posted at 5-2 11:04
Just got out of best buy. They are replacing My 2s with brand new to be delivered tomorrow.  But after checking the profile on the app, this is what I found:

You were flying forwards at full speed in Sport Mode and came to a sudden stop at 731.9 seconds.
At the same time the drone started to spin anti-clockwise, rolled hard left and pitched past the normal limits and fell spinning to earth.
This indicates the sudden loss of either a propeller or motor.

Any error messages after that are a result of the spinning and tumbling and the crash.
They are not indicating the cause of the incident.
2021-5-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there VengefulHemi. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Air 2S and thank you for reaching out. Since there was a crash that happened and to the said DJI Drone . It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for us to be able to assist you further. We have a team that will do there best to assess what happened to the said DJI drone and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.
2021-5-2
Use props
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-2 19:05
Hello there VengefulHemi. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Air 2S and thank you for reaching out. Since there was a crash that happened and to the said DJI Drone . It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for us to be able to assist you further. We have a team that will do there best to assess what happened to the said DJI drone and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you.

Thank you for that, but bestbuy is making good on their replacement policy and they will be getting me a brand new one tomarrow.
2021-5-2
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

VengefulHemi Posted at 5-2 11:41
Actually, one set was missing off the drone. Dont recall exactly, but im pretty sure it was a rear set. But cannot tell if ut occured in flight or at impact with ground. Looked briefly but couldnt find thr props.. was that my telemetry info you posted?

hi,

Yes,  my chart is filled with your flightlog data.
99% that one set of blades came loose in flight, seeing the pitch and roll angles of your drone the moment is came loose.

cheers
JJB
2021-5-3
Use props
Mike90210
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1183556 ft
United States

This is frightening.  

Makes me wonder how there haven't been more serious accidents with falling drones injuring folks on the ground.

BTW, my homeowners policy covers drone liability if I'm recreational only.  If I get 107 or commercial, I would need to get my own insurance.

-Mike
2021-5-3
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

When you see this videos confidence goes down by 10% XD

I always check the propellers the first flight of the day; in the Mini 2 I check the bolts and in the Air2s just check that they secured in the correct position, but of course they allways can break midflight due to internal tensions on the material or by a random collision with a bird or any other accident/malfunction.

Unless you are flying over crowds it's nearly impossible to hit someone. Drones aren't falling from the sky like rain... and standing people are really difficult to hit. There are not many hobbysts out there anyways. Most drone collisions with people come from maneuvering at low altitude, taking pictures of weddings, selfies, follow me mode and things like that. Like that guy that smashed his own Mavic Pro 2 right in the face at full speed.

I don't like my drone being noticed, so I keep it away from people anyways, even if it's the Mini 2.
2021-5-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

VengefulHemi Posted at 5-2 19:21
Thank you for that, but bestbuy is making good on their replacement policy and they will be getting me a brand new one tomarrow.

Hi there Drone Shot Collection. Thank you for the reply and for giving us an update. If you have any other concerns or any inquiries with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. Thank you.
2021-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules