Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
canonsvogel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 684826 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hello.

I tried Dlog today on the Air 2s. I noticed that DLog has more noise that the video with standard color profile. The noise is with straight-out-of-camera Dlog and Dlog with Lut through Davinci Resolve. The used lut is from the downloads tab of the DJI Air 2s website.

I thought that the colors from Dlog with their lut, should match with the normal color profile. But I noticed that the sky is bluer with the normal color profile, than with dlog with lut. The Dlog with lut has a more grey-ish look.

I obviously understand that dlog is ment to color grade, but I simply used a lut for this one...

Link with demo files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14rqUlCFPwZi6CwwYaelB4OaqDxm48Kil?usp=sharing

The noise can be seen in the left-under corner.

I hope someone can help.
2021-5-2
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422549 ft
United States

This guy is shooting at night but he also mentions that he believes the DLog footage is noisier than the standard mode video:

2021-5-2
Use props
canonsvogel
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

Saw that the link didn't work right. You should be able to download the video's now.
2021-5-2
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

ALWAYS D-Log have way more noise than normal mode...HLG is less noisy, but still have more than Normal mode...
A 10-bit at night always needs noise reduction in post-processing, with Neat or other.
You should know it from Youtube already.Also your video should be processed with noise reduction and sharpness...
2021-5-2
Use props
canonsvogel
lvl.2
  • >>>
Netherlands

But why use slot if it introduces more noise? I mean dynamic range is nice, but if it introduces noise....
2021-5-3
Use props
MattCaz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 251358 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 5-2 09:22
This guy is shooting at night but he also mentions that he believes the DLog footage is noisier than the standard mode video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnwWZcAMSIw

Original Dobo always has some great videos. He sold his Mavic Pro after he got the Air 2s.  His FPV stuff is enough to give you air sickness from all the extreme moves.  
2021-5-3
Use props
MandicReally
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10374 ft
United States

LOG footage from almost all cameras usually has less Noise Reduction on it.  LOG is meant to be something you work with more in post.  So color grading AND noise reducing to your liking / needs.  

LUTs are only a starting place.  If you are expecting to drop on a LUT and be done, D-LOG may not be for you.  At least not with the standard LUTs.  IMO camera manufacturer LUTs are always conservative with what they do to the image because a lot of people would be put off by it if all it did was make it look like the "Normal" profile.  Adding Dynamic Range and 10-bit color means the image is just going to be different. It is preserving more light and color information.
2021-5-3
Use props
G-FLYBOY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24984 ft
Canada

Maybe footage so noisy because Air 2S and its family members are much more "sumer" than "pro". My vote on why footage is so noisy among other things is the very crappy 1 inch sensor and a very, very average camera. H.264 and H.265 codes were made for heavy compression not for image fidelity. I have noticed much noise in HLG (HDR) as well as D LOG. Maybe "Normal" profile is less noisy but the color detail and latitude to correct is so minimal. Profoundly little detail in shadows and blown out whites and blacks in normal mode. Never shoot in automatic unless you want crazily exposed footage. Who knows what the problem and what creates the noise. I am tired of being a scientist. It is not the ISO setting as I always leave it on 100 - the lowest. Because aperature is fixed you will never really be able to expose properly on the fly. Drone only costs 1K so you get what you pay for. Don't expect to shoot a Hollywood feature with this drone. Be happy if you can make some footage for a small documentary or rock video. It is an expensive wonderful toy which will wow your friends. Honestly most people are using Mavic Air and below for tik tok, Youtube and instagram (maybe real estate) so it really doesn't matter if images are very noisy. It is a very low bar. Look at the the new drones from DJI which can shoot portrait mode and landscape. What you will own is the ultimate social media machine designed to make cool video for smart phones. You will not be making "cinema" with these machines. At best you might make something "cinematic" to quote youtube. Does this happen on Skydio or Autel drones. My local drone school has some for test flights I will try one. Anyone us any noise compression software? Sadly if find this tends to make the footage mushy, even with the paid resolve plug in isn't that good. Be thankful the average person doesn't give a hoot what footage looks like these days. I find the less I worry about the sub par images I get my Air 2S the better I sleep. This is as good as this remarkable drone gets. I will not be seduced next time by DJI promo footage of a beautiful young couple flying their DJI drone in exotic locations. I am sure after their romance making is over the first thing they talk about is how noisy their footage is. Also some of the technical responses to posts from DJI reps are incomprehensible. Can they be proof read?
Oh BTW I typically shoot the following settings.  DJI Air 2S ND filter of 16 to 64 depending on clouds and sun. 4K or 5.4K , 29.97 MOV HLG or D-LOG 30 fps 60 shutter, ISO 100( always) maybe 200 in a pinch. Pro mode never Auto. White Balance 5600. EV around 0. 23.98 is terrrible if you want to modify the speed at all.

Tag line: A remarkable fun drone. More of a toy than a professional tool that can give you good results some of the time. A tiny flying wonder made for funseekers and the most intrepid professionals who sell to quality control with a very low bar. Hours of fun seriously. I love it. I just don't think it can give you "pro" or "cinematic" images. Be happy with what you get. It's a marvel for $1000. Totally igonore the Youtube screamers and DJI propaganda films. Cheers
2023-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules