Can I carry LiPo flight batteries on airline?
4494 17 2021-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steelart99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77936 ft

United States

I was packing to take a trip and started packing up all my FPV Drone LiPo batteries/chargers etc. to take with me. Then I thought ... can I even carry these or pack them into my checked luggage for USA flights?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

What is the rated capacity for the flight batteries (in Watt Hours)?  Nevermind, I figured this one out. It is 44.4 Watt-hours based on 2000mAh at 22.2V

2021-5-2
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depends on the airline as to how many you can carry. They must be in your carryon, they cannot go into checked baggage.

I have not had any issues travelling with LiPOs in the USA no one has ever questioned me about them.

I always put them in LiPO bags and they are at 20% SOC.
2021-5-2
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677028 ft
United States

NEVER in checked luggage. Just about all airlines allow them in carry on.
Some folks even label them with the wH equation and 44.4 wH (for ours) to show a clueless TSA person that they are approved, and not only that, you’ve done the research and yours are under the FAA wH limit.
2021-5-2
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4

United States

Thanks all.  Carry on it is ... I think I have a Lipo bag somewhere ... haven't seen it in years though.
2021-5-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Steelart99. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. The Battery Safe Bag offers reliable storage, and transportation for batteries. You may also try using a DJI Battery Safe Bag when transporting your DJI FPV's intelligent flight batteries. The Battery Safe Bag offers reliable storage, and transportation for batteries. It can effectively mitigate damage from combustion, reducing the possibility of igniting surrounding objects. In addition, kindly please read through your airline's battery transportation regulations when traveling with LiPo batteries. For reference I will post a link where in you can learn about regulations for your specific airline ( https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/airlines ). Thank you and please stay safe always.
2021-5-2
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Buster1 Posted at 5-2 11:15
NEVER in checked luggage. Just about all airlines allow them in carry on.
Some folks even label them with the wH equation and 44.4 wH (for ours) to show a clueless TSA person that they are approved, and not only that, you’ve done the research and yours are under the FAA wH limit.

The limit seems to be 100 Wh per battery. Anyone ever in trouble because carrying too many batteries?
2021-5-2
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 5-2 22:06
The limit seems to be 100 Wh per battery. Anyone ever in trouble because carrying too many batteries?

I traveled to South Africa with Mavic 2 pro with 4 batteries all in separate Liop bags no problem with security checks and no issue on the flights, I had 4 flights on the way there do worry just make sure you buy the Lipo bags bought mine from Amazon
2021-5-3
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4

United States

I have a single Lipo bag for all my batteries, however, FAA rules are okay with just plastic bags and/or taping over any battery contacts.
2021-5-3
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

Exib Posted at 5-3 00:16
I traveled to South Africa with Mavic 2 pro with 4 batteries all in separate Liop bags no problem with security checks and no issue on the flights, I had 4 flights on the way there do worry just make sure you buy the Lipo bags bought mine from Amazon

Okay, thanks.
2021-5-3
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Depp Posted at 5-2 22:06

What do you need so many batteries for?
2021-5-3
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

AntDX316 Posted at 5-3 04:50

I have one DJI FPV drone with three batteries, one cinewhoop with five (which may not be enough) and one Mini 2 with 3. Then I have a DSLR with two and an Osmo Pocket. That's adding up.
2021-5-3
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
United States

Are Lipo bags required by TSA/FAA?
2021-5-3
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4

United States

Buster1 Posted at 5-3 16:33
Are Lipo bags required by TSA/FAA?

From the FAA Website:

Pack Safe - Batteries, lithium
Power Banks, Cell phone battery charging cases, rechargeable and non-rechargeable lithium batteries, cell phone batteries, laptop batteries, power banks, external batteries, portable rechargers.
Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, including power banks and cell phone battery charging cases, must be carried in carry-on baggage only. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, all spare lithium batteries and power banks must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin. The battery terminals must be protected from short circuit.

This covers spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics such as cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, tablets, watches, calculators, etc. This also includes external battery chargers (portable rechargers) containing a lithium ion battery. For lithium batteries that are installed in a device (laptop, cell phone, camera, etc.), see the entry for "portable electronic devices, containing batteries" in this chart.

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices.

With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 Wh) or Lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).

Batteries must be protected from damage.
Battery terminals (usually the ends) must be protected from short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal). Methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch.

To calculate Wh, multiply the battery voltage by the Amp hours (Ah).

2021-5-3
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for that, but it doesn’t address the question. It doesn’t say lipo bags are required. Those are simply methods of protecting the terminals.

I guess maybe lipo bags are not a requirement, but a good thing to have.
2021-5-4
Use props
Steelart99
lvl.4

United States

Buster1 Posted at 5-4 04:21
Thanks for that, but it doesn’t address the question. It doesn’t say lipo bags are required. Those are simply methods of protecting the terminals.

I guess maybe lipo bags are not a requirement, but a good thing to have.

I highlighted the part that says what is permissible.  LiPo bags were not called out at being required.  It is just a safety measure that some people use.
2021-5-4
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
United States

Makes sense, thanks for the info!!
2021-5-4
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-3 04:50

Took all the batteries I had only used 2 at a time though
2021-5-4
Use props
CoolBlueFox
lvl.1
Flight distance : 143360 ft
United States

So they say for lipo batteries that one you can keep in your drone and put your drone in checked baggage other you have to put it in carry on
2022-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules