Need longer USB-C cable to connect RC (Mavic Air 2S) to a tablet
5788 18 2021-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

What are the specs of the DJI RC to phone USB-C to USB-C cable.  I have tried every USB-C cable I have, and have been unable to connect the phone or tablet to the RC.  I don't want to take the case off my phone every time I want to fly or buy a skinnier case.  Also I would like to use a tablet.

I am considering the Smart Controller, but feel burned by DJI using Android 6 as the minimum for DJI Fly vs making my Android 5.1.1 Crystal Sky.  Poof my $900 investment in a CS 7.85 Ultra (2,000 Lumens) is now a paperweight.  So now I am hesitant to purchase the Smart Controller.

thanks, Bill

PS:  A lot of confusion out there on O2 vs O3.  
2021-5-2
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

You need the USB C OTG cable. Only this will work.
2021-5-2
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have them and it's not working.  Were you able to and which one did you buy .
2021-5-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is the cable I use for the MA2 and Mini 2 with an ASUS Android tablet that works fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2021-5-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bill. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. You may try check our DJI Where To Buy platform on this link ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) to see if those cables that you need is available. In addition I hope that you can get some recommendations from our DJI Co pilots with regards to this inquiry. Thank you and please be safe always.
2021-5-2
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

Have you tried to change the ends, i.e. to turn the ends? Chinese OTG cables only work one way.
2021-5-2
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

With this cable I have:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My Galaxy Tablet S6 successfully connected to the remote of my Mini2!
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 5-2 20:04
This is the cable I use for the MA2 and Mini 2 with an ASUS Android tablet that works fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, that should work perfectly with the Female USB-C and Male USB-C.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-2 20:51
Hello there Bill. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. You may try check our DJI Where To Buy platform on this link ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) to see if those cables that you need is available. In addition I hope that you can get some recommendations from our DJI Co pilots with regards to this inquiry. Thank you and please be safe always.

I originally removed the included cable to plug in one of my USB-C dual  male connectors.  I put the OEM cable back in with the end with the embossed rubber of a controller image in the actual USB-C port.  The manual shows an embossed box with T.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 5-2 21:15
Have you tried to change the ends, i.e. to turn the ends? Chinese OTG cables only work one way.

OGT cables have a female on one end and male on the other.  So I don't have a choice which way I do this.

I originally removed the included cable to plug in one of my USB-C dual male connectors.  I put the OEM cable back in with the end with the embossed rubber of a controller image in the actual USB-C port.  The manual shows an embossed box with T.  It also worked the other way.

Thanks for the info, good thought.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ozoffi Posted at 5-3 05:20
With this cable I have:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B086DP8Q9N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My Galaxy Tablet S6 successfully connected to the remote of my Mini2!

I have loaded it into my Amazon account, will know soon.  Thanks!  
2021-5-3
Use props
BertrandR
lvl.2

United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 5-3 07:32
OGT cables have a female on one end and male on the other.  So I don't have a choice which way I do this.

I originally removed the included cable to plug in one of my USB-C dual male connectors.  I put the OEM cable back in with the end with the embossed rubber of a controller image in the actual USB-C port.  The manual shows an embossed box with T.  It also worked the other way.

You have that wrong. The cables are male to male. I don't know of any phone or tablet that needs a female connector on the cable and the remote is definitely for a male cable.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BertrandR Posted at 5-3 14:57
You have that wrong. The cables are male to male. I don't know of any phone or tablet that needs a female connector on the cable and the remote is definitely for a male cable.

I intend to extend the length of the current cable, not replace it.  Wasn't sure if replacing the cable would require wrapping the cable to store in Smart Controller.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 5-2 21:15
Have you tried to change the ends, i.e. to turn the ends? Chinese OTG cables only work one way.

I believe OTG means "On The Go" which were intended to put a thumb drive into the female socket (type A) and the male end (USB-C) in the phone or tablet.
2021-5-3
Use props
BertrandR
lvl.2

United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 5-3 15:47
I intend to extend the length of the current cable, not replace it.  Wasn't sure if replacing the cable would require wrapping the cable to store in Smart Controller.

Well, ok but that will be a bit cumbersome and will add another possible failure point. I think it is better to just use a single cable, but that is just my 20 years working as an electronics tech thinking.
2021-5-3
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BertrandR Posted at 5-3 18:58
Well, ok but that will be a bit cumbersome and will add another possible failure point. I think it is better to just use a single cable, but that is just my 20 years working as an electronics tech thinking.
You have an excellent point.  I may buy the male to male cable as well.  When you put it in the RC can you  wrap it around the two extendable antenna struts like the OEM cable does and still push the antenna down.. I would assume it would have to be about a another wrap around.

The female to male works fine.  Thanks for the info!
2021-5-4
Use props
ToFlyITry
lvl.1
Flight distance : 282877 ft
United States

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2021-5-2 16:43
I have them and it's not working.  Were you able to and which one did you buy .

SAME HERE / BEEN THROUGH 8 CABLES NOW NONE WORK / SAME CABLES WILL PLUG INTO SIDE OF 2S DRONE AND TRANSFER DATA.   
2022-1-12
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

This what I bought and it works.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/prod ... 03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1  Select the male to male version.

The key to this is the 60Watt PD throughput.  That is for power, but I think it also has to do with data throughput.  I decided to solve two problems, and bought the Smart Controller (not the new one for Mavic 3)
Now I have a bright screen, fast startup, and can use my phone or tablet for other things.  If you want a larger screen, there is an HDMI output to mirror to any HDMI screen, TV etc.
If you have a laptop(mine is an HP 60 watts) you can also use the cable to charge it, if you have a power supply with usb-C.  I bought a small 100Watt  power supply with 4 outputs, so I can charge my Laptop, tablet, and 2 phones at the same time.  AmazonSmile: USB C Wall Charger, ITEHIL 100W 4-Port Fast PD Charger, Portable Type C Charger with Foldable Plug for iPhone 12/12 Pro Max/AirPods Max/iPad/MacBook/Samsung and More (Cable Not Included) : Cell Phones & Accessories So now I take it on trips and leave the clunky large HP charger at home.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the overkill

2022-1-20
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

You might take a look at Anker.com, that's where I get all my cables.
2022-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules