Reversing Throttle Stick in Mode 2
7147 30 2021-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Apparently several forum members have learned to fly helicopters with reversed throttle sticks. Gimbals which use potentiometers can be reversed by swapping the power and ground leads. Hall effect sensors generally can't be reversed this way.
Warning: Disconnect both batteries before unplugging other wires. Connect the batteries only after other components have been connected. The controller will need to be charged in order to power on after the batteries have been reconnected.

Here are a few ways I think it's possible to reverse the throttle stick. (Similar methods could be used to reverse other axes.)

1: Rotate the magnet 180 degrees. There are two different ways the magnet may be rotated. The magnet may be rotated in either the X axis or the Z axis (see photo). The north and south poles of the magnet need to be swapped in order to reverse the gimbal axis. This is the most promising option.

2: If the magnet proves difficult to rotate, an optional method is to rotate the PCB with the Hall effect sensor. I believe there is room for the PCB to be rotated 180. In order to rotate the PCB either additional alignment holes will need to be drilled in the PCB or the two alignment tabs will need to be removed. The location of the new holes is marked with green circles in the attached photo. Only use this option if the magnet can't be removed.

3: A more complicated method would make it possible for the axis reversal to configured by the user whenever desired. This would require a microcontroller with an analog to digital converter (ADC) and a digital to analog converter (DAC).  The ADC would monitor the voltage of the original control line and microcontroller would set the DAC with an appropriate output. A switch or other input device could be added to make this setting easy to perform by the user. No further details are provided in this post regarding this option.

The photo below shows the PCB with the Hall effect sensor which reads the throttle position. The two screws used to secure the PCB have been removed. HallPcbNotes210502a.jpg

The red circles show where alignment tabs pass through the PCB. The green circles show where new holes should be drilled if the PBC is rotated rather than the magnet.
HallPcbNotes210502b.jpg
Above shows the Hall effect sensor on the small PCB. If the PCB is rotated rather than the magnet, new holes may be drilled to allow the alignment pins to pass through the PCB in its rotated state. Alternatively, the alignment pins may be removed and the PCB secured only with the screws.

Below shows the magnet which is normally hidden by the Hall effect PCB.
HallMagnetNotes210502a.jpg
If the magnet can be rotated, the north and south poles should be reversed. The magnet may be rotated 180 degrees either around the X axis or 180 degrees around the Z axis. It would probably be a good idea to mark the magnet to make sure it is replaced with the desired alignment.

I removed several components in order to photograph the magnet. It may be possible to access the magnet without removing these additional components but I'm not sure. The mode 2 throttle axis is the hardest axis to reverse based on access to the magnet.

I haven't tried to remove a magnet from my controller. I don't know how well the magnets are secured. Flipping the magnet seems like the easiest way of making this modification but I included the Hall sensor PCB option in case the magnet is too hard to remove.

Edit: The controller will likely need to be calibrated after making one of these modifications.

2021-5-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Duane Degn. Thank you for reaching out and for these information with us here at DJI Forum. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to modify your DJI drone or any of its components like the said DJI drone's remote controller. There is a possibility that these modification will work however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said modification when in use and if it will work all the time with no issues and modifications can void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2021-5-4
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

I've tried removing the magnet from the throttle axis without any luck. The magnet is very securely attached to the gimbal.

I'm going to try drilling an extra set of alignment holes and see if I can reverse the orientation of the Hall sensor.

I'll update this thread in the near future with additional information.
2021-5-6
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-4 20:46
Hello there Duane Degn. Thank you for reaching out and for these information with us here at DJI Forum. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to modify your DJI drone or any of its components like the said DJI drone's remote controller. There is a possibility that these modification will work however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said modification when in use and if it will work all the time with no issues and modifications can void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

"Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to modify your DJI drone or any of its components like the said DJI drone's remote controller."

I actually agree with DJI. I also don't recommend disassembling the controller. There are lots of fragile connectors which can be easily broken.

This thread is intended for those who think having a reversed throttle is worth the risk of possibly damaging their controller.

I took my controller apart because I have the "take it apart" illness. I have a really hard time leaving my gadgets assembled.
2021-5-6
Use props
DiegoFPV
lvl.2

Italy

Duane Degn Posted at 5-6 09:57
"Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to modify your DJI drone or any of its components like the said DJI drone's remote controller."

I actually agree with DJI. I also don't recommend disassembling the controller. There are lots of fragile connectors which can be easily broken.

Ciao Duane, per cortesia si potrebbe sapere come fare il reverse del canali del controller e googles DJI FPV-
IO piloto in mode 2  e vorrei il throttle ivertito "reverse" come pilotavo elicotteri .

Grazie
2021-9-17
Use props
DiegoFPV
lvl.2

Italy

Hello can you advise me how to reverse the gas,
In the Dji FPV combo V2 "controller pad" system I fly in mode 2 but with the throttle reversed as RC helicopters. like many hobbyists, especially in Switzerland Germany Italy,
I am disappointed with Dji ... for this failed update or mechanical possibility to flip the throttle control.
With Mavic series drones you can do it, I had Mavic Zoom you can reverse all channels in the stick menu - custom.
Waiting for an answer, thank you in advance.
2021-9-20
Use props
DiegoFPV
lvl.2

Italy

Ciao Duane, sarebbe bellissimo avere foto della tua modifica  anche in privato. La mia e-mail corvodie@gmail.com
2021-9-20
Use props
DiegoFPV
lvl.2

Italy

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-4 20:46

It would be possible to send my V2 Dji FPV controller to service, to be able to drive it as I did with my Mavic 2 Zoom, in mode 2 with the "reverse" throttle control.
Thanks good day
2021-9-21
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 348251 ft
Netherlands

Hello DJI Stephen.
What effort is DJI willing to put in to adapt the software to "custom stick mode" ?, I also fly heli for 40 years, learned it from THE Dieter Schluter.
In china they probably never heard of him, Please DJI upgrade the software in make us happy. You're the best in the world aren't you?
Dieter Schluter
2022-1-1
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Netherlands

I have turn the magnet 180 gr in the plastic holder. It works perfect
87C610DE-D7CD-42DD-824B-5E7672D16A04.jpeg
2B3CD281-67FD-4A85-AFF1-152C3E78CD06.jpeg
2022-1-8
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Netherlands

Duane Degn Posted at 2021-5-6 09:51
I've tried removing the magnet from the throttle axis without any luck. The magnet is very securely attached to the gimbal.

I'm going to try drilling an extra set of alignment holes and see if I can reverse the orientation of the Hall sensor.

Do not dril. It will not work. The only way is to turn the magnet. Mine works well now.
2022-1-8
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Netherlands

Do not dril. It will not work. The only way is to turn the magnet. Mine works well now.
2022-1-8
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 2021-5-4 20:46

If DJI gif us not the right tools to reverse the pitch or throttle. DJI is responsible for this
2022-1-8
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

Ariebaas Posted at 1-8 12:29
Do not dril. It will not work. The only way is to turn the magnet. Mine works well now.

That's great to hear. I'm glad turning the magnet works.
2022-1-8
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Netherlands

Duane Degn Posted at 1-8 21:21
That's great to hear. I'm glad turning the magnet works.

Disassemble only the upper part off the gimbal, secured with 4 very little srews. two on both sides.
After that mark the magnet, pull out with a head-cutter and push him back (180 gr turn) by hand into the plastic holder.
You only have to take out the hall sensors and the metal band and one battery. No more !!!!www.droneplant.nl
2022-1-10
Use props
djiuser_hizVbey3YiSF
lvl.1
United States

RE: Reversing Throttle Stick in Mode 2

I can also confirm that rotating the magnet 180 degrees works very well.  I did this mod over the weekend to get inverted Pitch controls on my DJI FPV.  This is easily a 10 minute fix on DJI's end in software (simple 'Invert Stick' checkbox in the headset UI and then the command to invert the range of the stick), but it doesn't look like the product has been getting many customization options since release.  

DJI, if you all add the FPV to the Mobile SDK I'll make some cool stuff with it.

Something to note is that the Pitch/Throttle sensors are on the SIDE of the controller and Roll/Yaw are on the bottom.  Initially I didn't realize this and accidentally inverted Roll instead of Pitch.

20220116_124447 copy.jpeg
2022-1-17
Use props
DiegoFPV
lvl.2

Italy

Ariebaas Posted at 1-10 05:47
Disassemble only the upper part off the gimbal, secured with 4 very little srews. two on both sides.
After that mark the magnet, pull out with a head-cutter and push him back (180 gr turn) by hand into the plastic holder.
You only have to take out the hall sensors and the metal band and one battery. No more !!!!www.droneplant.nl

Grazie davvero grazie infinita !!!! ora ho le idee più chiare !!!  Farò questa modifica !!!
Sono pure io pilota di elicotteri RC ho imparato nel 1995 con  Jounior 50 e Magic Schluter
frequentavo raduni e gare Rc.
A Stabio Svizzera dove ho avuto la fortuna di averlo visto e conosciuto Dieter Schluter ora purtroppo deceduto R.I.P a luglio 2021  un pezzo di storia nel mondo del modellismo ci ha lasciato, il primo a pilotare nel mondo un elicottero RC  1970.
2022-1-25
Use props
DiegoFPV
lvl.2

Italy

Ariebaas Postato alle 1-10 05:47 Smonta
solo la parte superiore del gimbal, fissata con 4 piccolissime viti. grazie su entrambi i lati.
Dopodiché segna il magnete, estrailo con un tagliatesta e spingilo indietro (180 gr di giro) a mano nel supporto di plastica.
Devi solo togliere i sensori della sala, il cinturino di metallo e una batteria. Non piu!!!! www.droneplant.nl

Hai fatto anche il software inverso gas nel menu stick dei Googles FPV ?Potresti mandarmi delle foto sia Hardware che software della modifica grazie molte. Mia e-mail corvodie@gmail.comhttps://forum33.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/file:///Users/diegocalneggia/Desktop/Schermata%202022-01-26%20alle%2001.42.44.png

Schermata 2022-01-26 alle 01.42..png
2022-1-25
Use props
ZipMan
lvl.1
Germany

djiuser_hizVbey3YiSF Posted at 1-17 07:26
I can also confirm that rotating the magnet 180 degrees works very well.  I did this mod over the weekend to get inverted Pitch controls on my DJI FPV.  This is easily a 10 minute fix on DJI's end in software (simple 'Invert Stick' checkbox in the headset UI and then the command to invert the range of the stick), but it doesn't look like the product has been getting many customization options since release.  

DJI, if you all add the FPV to the Mobile SDK I'll make some cool stuff with it.

Could you pls do a photo documentary about all the steps as I do not understand what you mean. My English is not that good and I am confused about 1. the rotating of the magnet in the controller and 2. how to do the setup in the controller menu.
2022-2-21
Use props
djiuser_6vADqIyrKXP1
New

Poland

Dear Dji, many users need sticks to be customable for manual flights as follow: right stick Turn Left/Right, Forward/Backward and left stick Left/Right with inverted Throttle to let it ascend by pulling the stick and descend by pushing away.
I'm one of those, I can't fly manual or I keep trying and keep breaking it.
I know this is not possible at the moment with avata or fpv but can't you Dji to work on it and add this function??
2022-9-3
Use props
djiuser_6vADqIyrKXP1
New

Poland

Ariebaas Posted at 1-8 12:29

Any youtube turtorial?
2022-9-4
Use props
fans1f41f0f9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 590013 ft
United States

Update the software to flip the throttle sticks like is present in every other DJI App and we wouldn’t have to disassemble the controller. You really think we WANT to do this?
2022-9-20
Use props
fans1f41f0f9
lvl.2
United States

Hi Duane, wondering about some clarification about the batteries here if you wouldn’t mind…

I’ve been tearing down cameras and controllers long enough to be certain I didn’t break a cable. You mentioned the controller needs recharging after the batteries are disconnected…. Does this essentially mean we throw it on a USB-C charger, and at some point eventually the controller will become responsive again? Just checking since I can’t get the thing to power on now that it’s back together again. Cheers!
2022-9-20
Use props
C.Calabrese
lvl.2
United States

This is Complete and Utter BS that we have to resort to this when it's a simple software fix to allow this functionality. I've started a petition for them to change this. I encourage everyone on this thread to sign and spread this. It worked for Cine Mode (allegedly), let's force them to pay attention to a large subset of their customers.

https://chng.it/GZQR55tdvV
2022-9-21
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

fans1f41f0f9 Posted at 9-20 17:06
Hi Duane, wondering about some clarification about the batteries here if you wouldn’t mind…

I’ve been tearing down cameras and controllers long enough to be certain I didn’t break a cable. You mentioned the controller needs recharging after the batteries are disconnected…. Does this essentially mean we throw it on a USB-C charger, and at some point eventually the controller will become responsive again? Just checking since I can’t get the thing to power on now that it’s back together again. Cheers!

"we throw it on a USB-C charger, and at some point eventually the controller will become responsive again?"

That's the way it worked for me.

Hopefully yours comes back to life.
2022-9-25
Use props
fans8163b656
lvl.1
Flight distance : 364577 ft
Brazil

djiuser_hizVbey3YiSF Posted at 1-17 07:26
I can also confirm that rotating the magnet 180 degrees works very well.  I did this mod over the weekend to get inverted Pitch controls on my DJI FPV.  This is easily a 10 minute fix on DJI's end in software (simple 'Invert Stick' checkbox in the headset UI and then the command to invert the range of the stick), but it doesn't look like the product has been getting many customization options since release.  

[Image]

how do you put the yaw/roll on the left stick in the avata ?
2022-9-28
Use props
ethan4rst
New

United States

maybe if you guys would come out with a software update making it so we can customize are controls we wouldnt have to resort to this. i have found forums dated back to 2019 asking to invert controls and yet nothing has been done...
2023-7-28
Use props
Maciejbis
lvl.1

Poland

djiuser_hizVbey3YiSF Posted at 2022-1-17 07:26
I can also confirm that rotating the magnet 180 degrees works very well.  I did this mod over the weekend to get inverted Pitch controls on my DJI FPV.  This is easily a 10 minute fix on DJI's end in software (simple 'Invert Stick' checkbox in the headset UI and then the command to invert the range of the stick), but it doesn't look like the product has been getting many customization options since release.  

any1 can help with invert pitch with some pictures or video tutorial?
2023-10-24
Use props
Waldo4280
lvl.4
Australia

Maciejbis Posted at 10-24 08:45
any1 can help with invert pitch with some pictures or video tutorial?

Agree, a YouTube tutorial for this would mean Neanderthals like me  would really be able to see and understand how this is done
2023-10-26
Use props
Maciejbis
lvl.1

Poland

And another question about screwdriver (deep hole outside pad) its ph1?
2023-10-27
Use props
Maciejbis
lvl.1

Poland

I took out the magnet from the plastic housing and turned it 180 degrees (top to bottom). After reassembling, the simulator doesn't recognize that axis at all. I disassembled it again and turned the magnet back to its original position, and everything works again, but unfortunately, the axes are still the same.
2023-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules