still experimenting with ND...

... and flying!
2021-5-3
Use props
FlanniganFlyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146473 ft
United Kingdom

Looking great Akirasho get out there to the majestic country side and great the money shots  
2021-5-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Akirasho. Good day and thank you for posting this wonderful video you have filmed using your DJI Air 2S with ND 16 Filter. Great work and keep flying. .
2021-5-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

still experimenting with ND
It would only be an experiment if you tried with and without and compared the results.
Your ND filter isn't doing anything positive for you at all.

Try a simple comparison and see if you can find what (if anything) the ND filter has done.
2021-5-3
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

All the ND16 does is reduce the amount of light entering the lens to 1/16th (4 stops).  To keep the same exposure value, the drone (or you) will adjust the aperture (n/a in this case) and/or the shutter speed to compensate. In the case of a MA2 or A2s, the shutter speed will be lenghtened (slower) by a factor of 4. (2^4 = 16).

I have used ND filters on a camera only when I wanted to reduce the light in a very bright scene without changing the aperture or shutter speed, but I have never used one on a drone. I would be more interested in trying a polarized filter on one.

2021-5-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 5-3 19:59
All the ND16 does is reduce the amount of light entering the lens to 1/16th (4 stops).  To keep the same exposure value, the drone (or you) will adjust the aperture (n/a in this case) and/or the shutter speed to compensate. In the case of a MA2 or A2s, the shutter speed will be lenghtened (slower) by a factor of 4. (2^4 = 16).

I have used ND filters on a camera only when I wanted to reduce the light in a very bright scene without changing the aperture or shutter speed, but I have never used one on a drone. I would be more interested in trying a polarized filter on one.

The problem with a polarised filter is that it needs to be adjusted on almost a scene-by-scene basis, and once you are up in the sky, it is not possible to adjust it.
2021-5-3
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-3 22:44
The problem with a polarised filter is that it needs to be adjusted on almost a scene-by-scene basis, and once you are up in the sky, it is not possible to adjust it.

I am going to assume it is just like the polarized sunglasses I wear when boating and/or fishing. I can't even adjust them but I can see through the water surface in almost any situation. I used them often on other cameras. For things like windows and other reflections from random directions....sure, no way to set that.
2021-5-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 5-4 14:46
I am going to assume it is just like the polarized sunglasses I wear when boating and/or fishing. I can't even adjust them but I can see through the water surface in almost any situation. I used them often on other cameras. For things like windows and other reflections from random directions....sure, no way to set that.

Polarised filters for photographic use are able to rotate in their mount to optimise the polarising effect. Admittedly, I have only used them on cameras, but from that experience, I imagine they may need to be adjusted for best effect depending upon which way the sun is facing over  water. I seem to recall someone reporting difficulty with getting them right for drones.
2021-5-4
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-4 17:52
Polarised filters for photographic use are able to rotate in their mount to optimise the polarising effect. Admittedly, I have only used them on cameras, but from that experience, I imagine they may need to be adjusted for best effect depending upon which way the sun is facing over  water. I seem to recall someone reporting difficulty with getting them right for drones.

I know all about the camera polarized filters and have used them since my first Leica and Land cameras in the 60's. It isn't the sun that is the issue. It is the surface of the medium, in this case water, that you want to block from reflections. Since the water is always below, the orientation should always be the same, as with the polarized sunglasses...... unless you are laying on your side ;-)

I have ordered a polarizing filter for my MA2 and will test it as soon as I can and make a report in the forum, hopefully with video.

2021-5-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 5-4 18:02
I know all about the camera polarized filters and have used them since my first Leica and Land cameras in the 60's. It isn't the sun that is the issue. It is the surface of the medium, in this case water, that you want to block from reflections. Since the water is always below, the orientation should always be the same, as with the polarized sunglasses...... unless you are laying on your side ;-)

I will be interested to hear about your results.
2021-5-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

No need for ND filters at this speed.
2021-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now