DJI FPV Controller 2 and Motion Controller both will not charge.
12006 21 2021-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
harrisrobin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 124111 ft
Canada

Hey everyone,

I purchased the DJI FPV Drone and upon opening it yesterday, I noticed that I was not able to charge any of the controllers (motion controller or remote controller).
I troubleshooted it by trying various cables and testing these cables on my previous DJI controllers from my mini2, the cables themselves worked but they would not charge any of the DJI FPV controllers (motion and regular controller).  

Has anyone ever faced this issue? I am completely flabbergasted that both controllers won't charge at all. I can't explain it.

Here is a video that shows both controllers not responding at all to being plugged:

https://youtu.be/A5Szbz-v6ng

2021-5-6
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As you photo shows the controller plugged into a laptop, I suggest you start by using the supplied power brick to charge the controller/motion controller.

The USB-C connector on a Mac may not be able to supply the current required to charge the controllers. I don't have the spec here but as a start use the brick provided.

2021-5-6
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Buzzyone Posted at 5-6 09:58
As you photo shows the controller plugged into a laptop, I suggest you start by using the supplied power brick to charge the controller/motion controller.

The USB-C connector on a Mac may not be able to supply the current required to charge the controllers. I don't have the spec here but as a start use the brick provided.

My controller charges flawlessly even through a USB hub powered by a Mac - I never need to charge it because it charges while I fly in Velocidrone.
I don't know though if for the first charge you need to plug it into the power supply. With the Mavic Air 2 they had a problem with activating the batteries. Maybe this is something similar.
2021-5-6
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I plugged mine into my iMac Pro and had no issues. But I did use the USB port connected through my old Apple Cinema screen that is USB 2. I have had issues with the Mac USB 3 port for Assistant updates not recognising the drone / controller. Using a USB or Thunderbolt hub I have no issues.

2021-5-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, harrisrobin. Thanks for reaching out and our sincere apologies to read the difficulties you're experiencing. If you have tried different USB adapters for both the DJI Motion Controller and DJI FPV Remote Controller and the problem continues, it is suggested returning both to our Service Center for further inspection. You can reach out to our Customer Support: https://www.dji.com/support to assist you to open a ticket.
2021-5-7
Use props
harrisrobin
lvl.1
Canada

Buzzyone Posted at 5-6 09:58

The USB-C connector on a Mac may not be able to supply the current required to charge the controllers. I don't have the spec here but as a start use the brick provided.

Hey Buzzyone, this worked!

Thank you.

@DJI Gamora, looks like the issue was that i had to use the power brick that's for charging the drones batteries, nothing else worked. I tried my laptop, a wall outlet (iphone charger), but it really took the power brick to get it working.

Thanks fro your help everyone, this can be closed!
2021-5-7
Use props
harrisrobin
lvl.1
Canada

DELETE this duplicate
2021-5-7
Use props
WingmanGroup
lvl.1

United States

harrisrobin Posted at 5-7 06:04
Hey Buzzyone, this worked!

Thank you.

I would add that if you’re just now having this issue and you’ve had your drone for a while, then the chances are you did a recent software update to your devices and the next time you need to charge the remote you need to use the cord and power brick that came with the unit the first time you charge it after the update.   I have had to do this with my DJI FPV drone and then I can go back to using my regular cord.
2021-6-27
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Oh no...      
2021-6-28
Use props
fans1ac82934
lvl.1

United States

Seems not to like USB-C to USB-C.  Wants to draw from USB-A into the C connector.  So use the appropriate cable.  Also - I made sure to power and register all of the components with DJI.  Everything charging lovely now.
2022-8-31
Use props
quirm
lvl.1

Switzerland

Charging everything needs some logistics I also have a problem with a moody DJI Motion Controller. I tried to plug it into all kinds of chargers (MacBook, iPhone 30W, brick with much higher output, etc.). The only solution which worked for me was to use a hub, plug its USB-C into anything (MacBook or iPhone 30W works fine), and then plug USB-A into the hub and the other end USB-C into DJI Motion Controller. In this exact order, the other way around it also does not work.

2022-9-1
Use props
fansa99ccfdc
New

United States

quirm Posted at 9-1 10:48
Charging everything needs some logistics  I also have a problem with a moody DJI Motion Controller. I tried to plug it into all kinds of chargers (MacBook, iPhone 30W, brick with much higher output, etc.). The only solution which worked for me was to use a hub, plug its USB-C into anything (MacBook or iPhone 30W works fine), and then plug USB-A into the hub and the other end USB-C into DJI Motion Controller. In this exact order, the other way around it also does not work.

[view_image]

This worked for me too.  Using a USB-A to USB-C cable from any charger/hub worked for me.  Note that I was having this problem with both the DJI Motion controller and the DJI FPV Remote Controller 2 and this solution worked for both!
2022-9-1
Use props
fans0d74e01e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12280 ft
United States

fansa99ccfdc Posted at 9-1 13:30
This worked for me too.  Using a USB-A to USB-C cable from any charger/hub worked for me.  Note that I was having this problem with both the DJI Motion controller and the DJI FPV Remote Controller 2 and this solution worked for both!

Yes! I found that the USB-C to USB-C cable they supply doesn't work for the Motion Controller... must use a USB-A -> USB-C cable.
2022-9-2
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The FPV Remote 2 & the Motion Controller, neither support PD charging.

Using a USB-A to USB-C cable will solve this problem, you will also discover that the Assistant 2 App will not connect to the controllers if you use a USB-C to USB-C cable. So if you're using a Mac, you will need the USB-A adapter. With this you should have no issues.
2022-9-2
Use props
djiuser_6Ypl5W2ZPluB
New
Flight distance : 115873 ft
United Kingdom

This is the only way I could find to charge the controller
image.jpg
2022-9-4
Use props
virtualjoey
lvl.1
Flight distance : 490102 ft
United States

djiuser_6Ypl5W2ZPluB Posted at 9-4 01:11
This is the only way I could find to charge the controller

do the LED lights continue to flash while charging?

With my controller the first large LED turns on once I plug in the charger, the second smaller LED flashes 6 times then they both shut off. I've left them plugged in for hours with no noticeable charge.
2022-9-6
Use props
fansac6addaf
New

United States

Thanks for this thread, thought I had a bad motion controller. Turns out any USB port that support PD (power delivery) fast charging WILL NOT CHARGE the motion controller. I didn’t have any usb a to c adapter around on vacation, which would solve this problem. I was able to find an old usb c dock in my camera bag and one of the loop through usb c ports on the dock didn’t support PD. Plugged the charger into the dock and then the controller into the old usb c port and it charged right up.

This should definitely be explained or noted, THE MOTION CONTROLLER LACKS THE HARDWARE TO BE CHARGED BY ANY PD ENABLED USB C PORT. Which is the only kind of charger that I carry with me.
2022-9-7
Use props
fans5b128451
New

United States

This is a bummer, hopefully can be addressed in a firmware update...using a USB-A to C cable did the trick for me.
2022-9-10
Use props
fans5d079cd6
lvl.1

United States

I could not get it to work with any USB-C to USB-C cable (like the one included) but was able to get it to work once I tried my own USB-A to USB-C. Glad this worked!
2022-9-19
Use props
djiuser_8iG3IO64MdBs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11804 ft
United States

Hello, all. I know this thread is a bit old. But I just got the DJI avata and was having trouble getting the new update onto my controller 2 so I didn’t have to use the motion controller. After I tried charging a bit more to hopefully get it to connect since it wasn’t, I noticed the charge wouldn’t even happen. I saw OP’s suggestion about trying the charge hub instead of the computer or wall. So I tried using my usb to c-type adapter to plug into the USB port rather than the type-c port. This Allowed me to not only charge but to finally connect the controller to upgrade the firmware. You can get these cheap off of Amazon. So glad I had them for something else. Hope this helps someone else with the issue and I hope it helps DJI learn about the issue to raise concerns and hopefully get it fixed in future updates.
image.jpg
2022-9-28
Use props
fans10245dfc
lvl.1
United States

fans1ac82934 Posted at 2022-8-31 07:50
Seems not to like USB-C to USB-C.  Wants to draw from USB-A into the C connector.  So use the appropriate cable.  Also - I made sure to power and register all of the components with DJI.  Everything charging lovely now.

I second what you said. It didn't like my usb-c to usb-c cord out of same power brick I used a usb-a to c and started charging. So weird
2023-3-10
Use props
Romeo Kienzler
New

Germany

Just make sure u use a QC compliant charger - PD doesn't work

Afaict C to C is always PD
A to C is QC or standard USB 5V, both should work, the latter super slow of course
4-3 13:23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules