Can you add 100Mbit/s bitrate to 4K 24p 25p & 30p modes for Pocket2
984 8 2021-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Artur81
lvl.2
Hungary

Hello DJI Team!

Can you add 100Mbit/s bitrate to 4K 24p 25p and 30p modes for the Pocket 2 camcorder in a new firmware?

I noticed the so-called pixel drift phenomenon due to the low / starved bitrate (80 Mbit/s) in the Pocket 2 videos even in 4K 24p mode too.

The hardware encoder of Pocket 2 knows the 100Mbit bitrate mode.

For your programmers it does not belong to the difficult tasks, maybe it would be very easy in comparison to change other properties of the camcorder.

Otherwise, pocket 2 is good hardware, it is bad to see that its lower bitrate causes visual setbacks.

Thank you for your reply!

Best wishes!

Bye!
2021-5-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Artur81. Thanks for reaching out and forwarding your suggestion. When using 4K, the bitrate could only go to 100Mbps when shooting in 48/50/60 fps and that there's no current plan in changing this but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for the DJI Pocket 2.

On another note, please be advised that in the actual video encoding, the bitrate will vary according to the scene. For example, the bit rate in a single static scene will be lower and not absolutely fixed.
2021-5-9
Use props
Artur81
lvl.2
Hungary

Hello Gamora!

" significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update"
It would be significant because the problem of "pixel drift" phenomenon has only one known medicine: higher bitrate.

Yes, I know that the bitrate will vary according to the scene" it is called as variable bitrate. But even variable bitrate have an average , the so-called average. For example, the average bitrate of the 60p mode is actually around 99.5 Mbit/s in Pocket 2.

So the increase the video bitrate to 99.5 Mbit/s in 4K 24p 25p 30p mode can be solve the serious problem of pixel drift, or significantly reduce it.

Keep in mind, that one thing is 100% sure :) Nobody (amongst your customers) would protest against a better quality higher bitrate video option.

When you forward this request to the engineers, can you tell them, that it is the only solution for the pixel drift problem?

When (which month) will you plan to release the next firmware update?

Thank you for your reply!

Best wishes!

Bye!
2021-5-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That would be a nice update indeed!
2021-5-10
Use props
Artur81
lvl.2
Hungary

Montfrooij Posted at 5-10 03:10
That would be a nice update indeed!

And it is the only way to erase/reduce the so-called pixel drift phenomenon in changing light conditions.
2021-5-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Artur81 Posted at 5-10 05:02
And it is the only way to erase/reduce the so-called pixel drift phenomenon in changing light conditions.

I have not heard of that one before.
2021-5-10
Use props
Artur81
lvl.2
Hungary

Montfrooij Posted at 5-10 05:03
I have not heard of that one before.

Hello Montfrooj!

I uploaded a sample video file. Here you can download it. Click on the button of download in the bottom right part of the webpage. https://sendgb.com/bDUEPjhWfQe
It's only 80Mbyte. On the columns of the building, you can see the pixel drift / pixel flow due to the low bitrate.
2021-5-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Artur81 Posted at 5-10 07:10
Hello Montfrooj!

I uploaded a sample video file. Here you can download it. Click on the button of download in the bottom right part of the webpage. https://sendgb.com/bDUEPjhWfQe

I have watched it a couple of time and did notice it indeed.
Strange why they lowered this.
I have not tested my M2 at higher resolutions, but at 2.7K - 50pfs, it is also 80Mbit/s
2021-5-10
Use props
Dcapo1989
lvl.1
United States

Agreed, Artur81. It is a huge problem that I noticed very quickly, and your video makes it very apparent. I purchased the pocket 2 a few weeks ago and was quickly very disappointed with this pixel drift and artifacting in 4K, especially at higher FPS and static shots. The problem is especially noticeable and atrocious in foliage and building surfaces.

I notice the issue is lessened or almost entirely removed in 2.7k. While shooting in 2.7 is a workable solution for now, I specifically bought the device to shoot in 4k, so I'm pretty disappointed that the bitrate is so lackluster. Unfortunately, the issue is also pretty apparent even in moving shots, as shown by OPs original video, which contains a lot of artifacting in the building surfaces and windows. I'd say that should qualify as a significant problem that shouldn't be happening for a product that is marketed as a 4K  camera and is something that really should be addressed if at all possible.

@DJI Gamora, thank you for being so quick to reply to the OP and giving us updates. Is there any way to suggest to the developers to have an option to control the bitrate?  I have found many posts spread out about this exact issue using different terminology, so the problem has been noticed by many. I know it would be appreciated to at least have the option of controlling bitrate. I know most of these people would like a fix for this issue, even if the option for a locked higher bitrate would impact shooting times and battery life.

Some examples of the same issue being expressed, but with no solution being given.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-233809-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-182688-1-1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weTRqGD6l24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yccIcnk1XQA&t=9s

2021-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules