Trying to get "Audience" mode working.
11083 23 2021-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

I have V2 goggles that came in the Combo FPV Drone package just purchased.  Two of my friends have DJI FPV V2 goggles.  We are trying to get them to work in "Audience" mode.  Here's what we are running up against....

1. My DJI Assistant 2 shows I am at firmware level V.01.01.  Screen prints of this are attached.

2. Friend #1 has DJI Goggles V2 purchased a few months back that he is using with a Caddx Vista drone.  His DJI Assistant 2 shows he is at version V01 00 0606, which he upgraded from 0604.  Assistant 2 shows he is current.  The look and feel of his goggles menu is different from mine.

3. Friend #2 has DJI Goggles V2 purchased 2 weeks ago directly from DJI.  He has an Apple Mac PC.  He has been unable to get his goggles "activated" in Assistant 2.  I believe he has also tried doing it in an iPhone App.  Out of desparation we are planning to try and activate his V2 goggles on my Windows 10 PC.

The three of us fly FPV drones together and would like to be able to "ride along" in each others drones.  DJI ads promote this as being possible.  How do we make it work?  YouTube videos have not been helpful.

Question: Friends 1 and 2 also have Foxeer Wildfire analog FPV receiver modules on their DJI V2 goggles.  We have used Friend #1's setup to fly older FPV aircraft we all have, using his analog compatible V2 goggles.  Now that Friend #2 and myself also have V2 goggles, will we like to be able to ride along (audience) when analog VTX's are being used in aircraft?  Is this possible?

UPDATE: Friend #2 got his V2 goggles registered.  He was not using the latest/greatest DJI Assistant (of which there are a multitude).  Not being a computer person he didn't know you ALWAYS install the latest version before doing anything else!

image2

image2

image1

image1
2021-5-8
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

"like to be able to ride along (audience) when analog VTX's are being used in aircraft? "

All the goggles would need to have an analog receiver in order to view the analog output from the analog transmitter. The multiple receivers would need to be set to the same channel as the analog transmitter.
2021-5-8
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

10-4.  That's what I figured.  The quality of analog FPV in DJI V2 Goggles is amazingly good, and sans the normal glitching you normally see (I guess the Foxfire VRX is most of the reason).  So we were hoping one V2 could share that image quality with another V2.  As you say, we will need to all tune our "obsolete" analog goggles to the same frequency in order to do analog "audience" as we have been doing all along.
2021-5-8
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 5-8 14:34
10-4.  That's what I figured.  The quality of analog FPV in DJI V2 Goggles is amazingly good, and sans the normal glitching you normally see (I guess the Foxfire VRX is most of the reason).  So we were hoping one V2 could share that image quality with another V2.  As you say, we will need to all tune our "obsolete" analog goggles to the same frequency in order to do analog "audience" as we have been doing all along.

"The quality of analog FPV in DJI V2 Goggles is amazingly good,"
That's interesting. I'll need to see if I can rig up my analog receiver to my V2 goggles.

"we were hoping one V2 could share that image quality with another V2."
That would be neat trick but I'm almost positive the "audience" goggles receives the video directly from the drone. The goggles transmit some info to the drone but I think it's just feed back regarding the link quality.

I know the goggles have to be powered on in order to fly the drone. I haven't figured out how the controller, goggles and drone all communicate with each other. The controller has a surprising amount of horsepower inside it. It has much more heat management than other transmitters I've taken apart.

I'm almost positive the controller communicates directly with the drone. I think the goggles also communicate directly with the drone. What I don't know is if the controller and the goggles communicate with each other.
2021-5-8
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

I'm not sure how it all works either, but it appears to me that the goggles are the "mother ship" of the trio.  I think it has the equivalent of a semi smartphone hardware in it.  The RC controlling is definitely between the controller and the drone.  The video stuff is between the goggles and the drone.  If using the FLY app, it is between the phone and the goggles.  There seems to be 2-way communication between all three components -- drone, goggles, controller.  It's pretty sophisticated stuff (as witnessed by the cost).  Full Disclosure: I'm guessing at all this!

But back to the problem at hand... I think the first thing we need to resolve in order to get "audience" working between the three V2 goggles is why mine are at a higher firmware level than the other two, and why the menu interface is completely different between mine and the other two.  I don't think they will talk to each other until this is resolved.
2021-5-8
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

DJI Support -- please answer me this...

Why does my DJI Goggles V2 firmware version (see image above) differ from my two friends DJI Goggles V2 version (image here).  These goggles were all purchased within a few weeks of each other.  DJI Assistant 2.1 (FPV Series) says we both have the latest version!

Given that our "current" versions are different, will we be able to connect with each other using the "Audience" feature?

Anxiously awaiting your answer...

image2

image2

image1

image1
2021-5-9
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 5-9 12:03

Why does my DJI Goggles V2 firmware version (see image above) differ from my two friends DJI Goggles V2 version (image here).  These goggles were all purchased within a few weeks of each other.  DJI Assistant 2.1 (FPV Series) says we both have the latest version!

"Why does my DJI Goggles V2 firmware version (see image above) differ from my two friends DJI Goggles V2 version (image here)."

From what I understand, the V2 goggles have some strange update requirements.
I believe you need to update the goggles using the Fly App and not the DJI assistant app. The Fly App needs to be the one in the "downloads" section on the DJI website. Not the App in the Play Store.

I believe the goggles will need to be bound with a FPV Drone in order to activate the goggles with the latest firmware but I don't know if goggles which have already been activated need to be bound to a drone or not.

Apparently one reseller of the V2 goggles has been loaning out a modified FPV drone in order to allow the V2 users, who don't have a FPV drone, to activate their goggles

There has been a lot of confusion about the V2 goggles when not used with the FPV drone. The above is what I think I have learned about the topic from watching YouTube videos on the topic.

"DJI Support -- please answer me this..."
Some of the videos I've watched have indicated DJI support often doesn't know the solutions to the latest issues. Often times help from the forum and YouTube can result in answers which DJI support is unaware.

If I can find the video where this issue was discussed, I'll add a link to this thread.
2021-5-9
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Very confusing, but we'll check into it.  Thanks for the info.

p.s.  Isn't DJI supposed to be the "user friendly" drone company?  
2021-5-9
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rgp1942 Posted at 5-9 12:03

It depends what mode they are in when they boot as to the firmware version they report when connected to the Assistant 2 Software.

When they boot they either boot into FPV Drone mode or Digital FPV System mode, the firmware reports differently depending on that. Also you will find that the V1 goggles will report a different firmware version to the V2 goggles when they are in Digital FPV Mode.
2021-5-9
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

"If I can find the video where this issue was discussed, I'll add a link to this thread."

This is the video I was referring to.
The section of video discussing this starts at 57:37.

I posted this same video in this thread. There might be some discussion in the linked thread you'll find helpful.
2021-5-9
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 5-9 12:44
It depends what mode they are in when they boot as to the firmware version they report when connected to the Assistant 2 Software.

When they boot they either boot into FPV Drone mode or Digital FPV System mode, the firmware reports differently depending on that. Also you will find that the V1 goggles will report a different firmware version to the V2 goggles when they are in Digital FPV Mode.

OK, thanks.  In order to get the screen prints we used DJI Assistant.  In fact the other two guys don't even have a DJI FPV Drone.  One has a couple of Caddx based drones, and the other uses his V2's with an analog receiver module for now, but is planning to get a Caddx based drone.  So I am the only one with an actual "DJI FPV Drone" (official name).  I'm starting to wonder if "Audience" actually works for Caddx based drones.  Maybe can only do with a "DJI FPV Drone"?  We thought "audience" was a goggles-to-goggles thing, but maybe not.
2021-5-9
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 5-9 12:50
"If I can find the video where this issue was discussed, I'll add a link to this thread."

This is the video I was referring to.

Thanks much.  The video at the spot you indicated, and the other thread, did indeed shed new light.  I'm starting to realize I'm the lucky one with the DJI FPV Drone.  No real issues.  It's the other two going with Caddx video drones who are "in the barrel" so to speak!  Again, thanks for your efforts on this issue.

2021-5-9
Use props
Ds67888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10657192 ft
  • >>>
United States

Will cardboard work also?
2021-5-9
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

OK.  We used 3 DJI FPV Goggles V2 and tried to get "audience" mode to work.  One was at firmware 01.01 which is for using with the DJI FPV Drone (official name).  The other 2 are firmware 01.00 0606 and are being used with DJI/Caddx air units.  We could not get any goggle to talk to any other goggle, in any direction, with any kind of source video.  It appears that the DJI "Audience Mode" is a hoax.
p.s. The firmware levels listed are showing "current" in the DJI Assistant 2.1 (FPV series).  Apparently there are two "current" levels.  Go figure.
2021-5-13
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 5-13 09:46
OK.  We used 3 DJI FPV Goggles V2 and tried to get "audience" mode to work.  One was at firmware 01.01 which is for using with the DJI FPV Drone (official name).  The other 2 are firmware 01.00 0606 and are being used with DJI/Caddx air units.  We could not get any goggle to talk to any other goggle, in any direction, with any kind of source video.  It appears that the DJI "Audience Mode" is a hoax.
p.s. The firmware levels listed are showing "current" in the DJI Assistant 2.1 (FPV series).  Apparently there are two "current" levels.  Go figure.

"It appears that the DJI "Audience Mode" is a hoax."

What? I've used the audience mode myself.

I think the V2 goggles need to be activated as if they are to be used with the new FPV drone. I think this requires a version of the Fly app available from the DJI downloads. I don't know if the one from the Play Store will work. I also don't know if the goggles can be properly activated using the DJI Assistant app. As you saw, the Assistant app thinks the goggles are up to date.
My phone which is just a few years old couldn't run the required Fly app. I have to run it on my newer tablet.

Make sure to read the reply by Buzzyone. Apparently it's important for the goggles to be set in a specific mode. I don't have any Air Units myself. I haven't used audience mode using Air Units but I have used it multiple times with the new drone.
2021-5-13
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 5-13 13:01
"It appears that the DJI "Audience Mode" is a hoax."

What? I've used the audience mode myself.

If you have the time and inclination, I would really appreciate a "how to" list...
1. Do this...
2. Then do this...
3. Make sure this...

THANKS!
2021-5-13
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 5-13 13:35
If you have the time and inclination, I would really appreciate a "how to" list...
1. Do this...
2. Then do this...

I have two sets of goggles myself. Both goggles came set up to use with the DJI FPV Drone.
I know my goggles work in audience mode so if I were trying to get other V2 goggles to work in audience mode, I would first try to pair them with DJI FPV Drone and make sure the goggles have up to date firmware to use with the FPV Drone.
Here's a link to the Fly App I'd use.
https://www.dji.com/downloads/products/dji-fpv

The whole process will likely be a pain since each set of goggles will need to be paired with the FPV drone and then the original set will have to paired again in order to restore the original pairing.

When I updated the firmware on my goggles and drone, I connected the shorter USB "On The Go" (OTG) cable to the goggles and then connected the longer USB cable to my tablet. As I mentioned earlier, the Fly App won't install on my phone. I just checked the latest version and it also won't install on my phone which is a few years old.

Set each goggle up as if it is to be used with the FPV drone and then hopefully you can use them in audience mode. The audience mode for the new FPV drone is different than the audience mode for the Air Units. To use audience mode with the Air Units the goggles have to be set in an alternate mode. I haven't used this alternate mode myself so I won't try to explain how to use it.

When the goggles are in the mode to use with the FPV drone, the master unit has to set to Broadcast (I don't recall the exact menu, if you can't find it let me know and I'll go into more detail). Once the master goggles are set to broadcast, the other goggles (while in the new DJI FPV drone mode) should be set to spectator mode. Once in spectator mode, a list of possible transmissions will be listed. The appropriate transmission should be selected and then the menu needs to be closed.

I know I've typed out instructions on how to select "Broadcast" and how to select "Spectator" so if you have trouble finding these option in the menu, I'll either find my earlier post of type them out again.

I think the biggest hurdle is to make sure all the goggles have the same firmware and set in the appropriate mode (old FPV vs new FPV (I don't know official mode names. Whatever they are they are likely confusing.)).
2021-5-13
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

Most excellent response!  Thank you very much!

The only question left is whether after being upgraded to firmware 01.01 (by way of binding to a DJI FPV Drone and using the latest DJI Fly app), will the goggles still work with "air unit" hardware (DJI/Caddx)?  For this reason my friends will be reticent to change their goggles that are currently working with non-DJI drones (unless it is confirmed they will not loose that functionality).

So as a recap, is this correct?  V2 goggles will do audience mode with V2 goggles bound to and connected to a DJI FPV Drone if they have the 01.01 firmware level.  Anything else probably won't work.  The V2's connected to the drone and seeing it's video need to be set up as the "host", and the V2's wanting to see that video need to be set up as the "spectator/audience".

Out of curiosity, do the spectator/audience V2's get their video signal from the host V2, or from the drone?  Also, can more than one V2 goggle be the spectator/audience?

Thanks again for your efforts in helping us try to use "audience mode".

2021-5-13
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 5-13 22:02

The only question left is whether after being upgraded to firmware 01.01 (by way of binding to a DJI FPV Drone and using the latest DJI Fly app), will the goggles still work with "air unit" hardware (DJI/Caddx)?  For this reason my friends will be reticent to change their goggles that are currently working with non-DJI drones (unless it is confirmed they will not loose that functionality).

"The only question left is whether after being upgraded to firmware 01.01 (by way of binding to a DJI FPV Drone and using the latest DJI Fly app), will the goggles still work with 'air unit' hardware (DJI/Caddx)?"

I believe this is the case. I don't have an Air Unit or a DJI/Caddx transmitter to confirm this.

The V2's connected to the drone and seeing it's video need to be set up as the 'host, and the V2's wanting to see that video need to be set up as the 'spectator/audience'."

The master goggles should be set to "Pilot". And the broadcast option (I think it's the second line of "transmission" menu) should be enabled. The "channel" option should be set to "auto". At least this is what I've read on the forum. I haven't tried using the feature in another other channel mode.

"Out of curiosity, do the spectator/audience V2's get their video signal from the host V2, or from the drone?"

The video comes from the drone.

"Also, can more than one V2 goggle be the spectator/audience?"

There shouldn't be a limit. All the audience goggles receive only.
I don't know details about frimware versions. I believe my goggles and drone are on version 1.00.00 (all zeros with a single one). I dont' think I have the latest firmware installed myself since there was a recent issue with a firmware update make drones unflyable. I'll likely wait a bit before updating firmware again. Still, I believe DJI has fixed the latest firmware problem and the most recent firmware should work fine.
2021-5-14
Use props
rgp1942
lvl.3
United States

An alternative to "audience mode".  This blurb shows that an upgrade to V2 goggles for video-out is on the way.  This will allow audience/spectator viewing with just a phone or tablet or any goggles/headset with video-in (of which I have several).
https://oscarliang.com/dji-fpv-goggles-video-out/
2021-5-17
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 5-17 12:10
An alternative to "audience mode".  This blurb shows that an upgrade to V2 goggles for video-out is on the way.  This will allow audience/spectator viewing with just a phone or tablet or any goggles/headset with video-in (of which I have several).
https://oscarliang.com/dji-fpv-goggles-video-out/

"This blurb shows that an upgrade to V2 goggles for video-out is on the way. "

You can already do this with the Fly App. The short "On The Go" cable needs to be connected to the goggles.

It only works from the pilot's goggles.

The video out to the smart devices doesn't contain the on screen information seen in the goggles. The audience goggles do get this extra information.
2021-5-17
Use props
djiuser_e0YbjWcTzA2t
lvl.2
Flight distance : 818169 ft
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 5-13 13:35
1. Do this...
2. Then do this...

This is actually quite easy to do.
1. On each goggle go to settings >about and scroll up one time to (switch to digital FPV system) this is for air unit viewing.
2. Select ok and power cycle the googles
3. The air unit linked with the googles broadcast the other goggles put in audience mode.
Everyone's GUI main page will look the same if done correctly. The same can be done for the DJI FPV drone by following above steps but select DJI FPV. Don't forget to power cycle each time you switch. The slide show/ screensaver that is shown on the GUI main screen will change as well as the interface
20210517_224157.jpg
2021-5-17
Use props
djiuser_e0YbjWcTzA2t
lvl.2
Flight distance : 818169 ft
United States

rgp1942 Posted at 5-13 22:02

Yes you can switch back and forth from mode to mode with no issues. I have  2x V2 goggles. One is bound to my DJI FPV drone and the other to my air unit/ caddax vista. I left instructions on how this is done. Any further questions I'll be happy to answer
2021-5-17
Use props
Ds67888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10657192 ft
  • >>>
United States

perhaps... must be out of D-CINE mode for audience mode to work... true? dave www.JPL66.com
2021-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules