DJI FPV (Drone -- not earlier FPV system) live HDMI out - HELP!
2292 7 2021-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MattSteele
lvl.1
United States

Currently trying to sort out an HDMI-out solution from the DJI FPV drone for a live broadcast use case.

I've tried all of the following:

• Goggles > iPad > Wifi broadcast out via Apple TV over wifi network: FAILED -- too much RF interference from WiFi for reliable flight
  • Goggles > iPad > Wifi broadcast out via NDI plugin over wifi network: FAILED -- too much RF interference from WiFi for reliable flight
  • Goggles > Macbook Pro with M1 > DJI Fly running on MacOS: FAILED -- App doesn't see Goggles
  • Goggles > iPad > USB C dock with Ethernet hub to both above: FAILED -- hubs on iPad Pro don't work -- all the bandwidth from the USB C port goes to ethernet, and DJI Fly doesn't connect with the goggles through the USB port
  • Goggles > DJI Smart Controller > FPV Live app: FAILED -- screen is black
  • Goggles > DJI Smart Controller > DJI Fly app: FAILED -- does not recognize drone
  • Smart Controller doesn't seem to "see" the drone or goggles in any context

Please help -- this is driving me crazy! The footage we are getting is absolutely rad and the client wants to show it live!
2021-5-8
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Could you use an Ethernet gateway which has a WiFi capability? This way the wireless signal could just go from the iPad to the gateway. These two devices could then be placed in some sort of Faraday cage to prevent the RF interference.

The bolded text are items inside the Faraday cage.

Goggles > USB-C Cable > Passes to inside of Faraday Cage > iPad > WiFi to Ethernet Gateway > Ethernet Cable > Passes outside of Faraday Cage > Ethernet Cable to WiFi Hub far enough away not to interfere with drone.

The main idea contain nearby WiFi signals in a Faraday cage and to use a wired connection so the broadcasting WiFi relatively far away from the pilot.
I don't know if special software would be needed to convert the WiFi to Ethernet and back.
Of course making a Faraday Cage to block WiFi is easier said than done.

Hopefully this post will at least get this thread more attention.

"The footage we are getting is absolutely rad and the client wants to show it live!"
You've got me curious. I want to see the footage even if it's recorded.
2021-5-9
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't waste your time trying to get the Smart Controller working with the V2 goggles in FPV Drone Mode it isn't supported. You will need to concentrate on getting the USB-C output working somehow.
Somthing I have not got to yet, so cant advise.
2021-5-9
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 5-9 12:49
Don't waste your time trying to get the Smart Controller working with the V2 goggles in FPV Drone Mode it isn't supported. You will need to concentrate on getting the USB-C output working somehow.
Somthing I have not got to yet, so cant advise.

"You will need to concentrate on getting the USB-C output working somehow."

The USB-C out streams video to Fly App on my Android tablet. This works reasonably well. The USB OTG cable was connected to the goggles when I did this.

I was hopeful a USB-C to HDMI adapter would allow the video to be streamed to a HDMI display but this didn't work.
2021-5-9
Use props
EQBView
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 5-9 12:57
"You will need to concentrate on getting the USB-C output working somehow."

The USB-C out streams video to Fly App on my Android tablet. This works reasonably well. The USB OTG cable was connected to the goggles when I did this.

Duane, were you able to get it working?  Everything Ive seen centers around USB-C (from goggles) to USB-C to Smart Controller for it to work?  Its almost as the SC converts it to a proper format which allows the HDMI out to work?  (Im going off youtubes as I dont have the equipment to test/evaluate)
2021-5-25
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

EQBView Posted at 5-25 05:46
Duane, were you able to get it working?  Everything Ive seen centers around USB-C (from goggles) to USB-C to Smart Controller for it to work?  Its almost as the SC converts it to a proper format which allows the HDMI out to work?  (Im going off youtubes as I dont have the equipment to test/evaluate)

Having the video displayed in my Android tablet with the Fly app has been all the video output I've needed so far. The only thing different I tried was to see if the same signal could be used directly be HDIMI. It can't.

I think getting HDMI out from the goggles requires a computer as a middle man. Someone purchased a Smart Controller and used it to figure out which codex the Goggles used. Someone else wrote code to get a computer to use this codex when receiving the video from the Goggles. Apparently this works on Mac computers but not iPhones. It also works on PCs and Android devices. The YouTube channel Andy RC has several videos on this topic. I haven't tried using these methods myself.
2021-5-25
Use props
MattSteele
lvl.1
United States

Just thought I'd update on this problem if anybody was looking to do the same thing:

I found a workable solution, but first I tried what I thought would be a promising method that unfortunately still does not work:

We purchased the new M1 iPad Pro which has a Thunderbolt port instead of USB-C.

Hypothetically, the Thunderbolt port with a powered hub should have more than enough power and bandwidth to drive an external display, while also passing through a full USB-C data pipe into the machine. Unfortunately, the DJI Fly app still only recognized the drone when it is plugged in directly to the port, and not to the pass-through USB-C on the hub

----------------------- WORKING SOLUTION FOR NOW ------------------------- VVVV

The current best solution is to run a small wireless hotspot such as a mobile phone or mobile pocket hotspot, to which the DJI Fly app device and an Apple TV are both connected.

I connect the goggles to the DJI Fly app device, and share the desktop of the device to the Apple TV, then send that out via HDMI to a capture device.

The mobile hotspot is low enough power that it gives minimal interference to the FPV. I tested it in the field up to 1,500m away with no issues.

Not the hard-wired solution I was hoping for, but it is serviceable.

Hopefully DJI can update their software to allow the drone to connect via a Thunderbolt hub, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
2021-6-18
Use props
MattSteele
lvl.1
United States

Edit: Accidentally posted this twice
2021-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules