New attitude orientation indicator is terrible for pointing antenna
505 3 2021-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
_christiaan_
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi,

So i updated my DJI fly app yesterday since a very long time. And i already regret it, because the old aircraft orientation indicator has been replaced by the new attitude indicator. This really sucks because it's very hard now to point my antenna correctly to the drone.

I watched a couple of youtube videos about how to use it so i fully understand the new attitude indicator. This one explains best for me: https://youtu.be/ORbSTt3Ht1M
But it's much harder to see how you're pointing your antenna. Which is essential if you're flying far away or over wifi congested areas.

This was the old one, which was essential to use in order to point your antenna:

And this is the new one:

So in the new version, i am supposed to look carefully at the tiny tiny blue arrow, which should point toward the big blue arrow in the middle. As you already can see above, the homepoint logo quite often overlaps the blue RC position indicator so in that case it's not possible at all to point your antenna to the drone.

Can DJI please at least give the user the option to display the old style attitude indicator? It is essential for me to point my antenna to the drone since the new style attitude indicator can hardly be used for that purpose.
2021-5-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there _christiaan_. Good day and thank you for these information that you have given. I will cascade this thread to the designated DJI department for further evaluation and attention. Again, thank you and fly safe always.
2021-5-9
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

If you calibrate the drone near metal ( rebar In concreat)  and either the drone or the controller are neat any metal that can throw off the magnetic field you will have problems.
Even power lines , fences . Beware of your surroundings.  If you put a magnet on top of your iPhone do you think the internal compass is gonna work right. Nope it won’t and will throw off the direction indicstor.
Things like that will mess up flights also. .  
2021-5-9
Use props
_christiaan_
lvl.1

Netherlands

Donut Michigan Posted at 5-9 22:06
If you calibrate the drone near metal ( rebar In concreat)  and either the drone or the controller are neat any metal that can throw off the magnetic field you will have problems.
Even power lines , fences . Beware of your surroundings.  If you put a magnet on top of your iPhone do you think the internal compass is gonna work right. Nope it won’t and will throw off the direction indicstor.
Things like that will mess up flights also. .

Hi Donut Michigan,
But the problem is not that the small blue pointer is not correct. I mean, all the info on the screen is correct. The problem is that the blue arrow representing the antenna is so extremely small that in practice  it’s unusable for pointing the antenna of your remote towards your drone . This wasn’t a problem with the old style indicator.

Considering the importance of correctly pointing the antenna to your drone for best reception, I think it is very important to have at least the option to enable the old style indicator.
2021-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules