Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cheap gimble protector
569 2 2015-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
max_input
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have been looking at various gimble protectors and some are quite expensive. I was just about to buy something on ebay for about $25 but then I thought that is probably a waste of money when I could use a few pieces of glass fibre rod from a kite and some tie wraps. The weight was only 4g and very strong. It also doesnt restrict airflow very much. I used some self adhesive foam insulation for grip. The carbon fibre ones are all well and good but I reckon the landing gear would break before any protector. The protector also doubles up as a useful handle to carry the phantom.

Pic1

Pic1

Pic2

Pic2
2015-7-18
Use props
Mark97564
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

If the gimble hits the ground it's going to bust the landing legs to do so and your home made little strategy isn't going to help squat if you come down hard enough to break those legs,
2015-7-18
Use props
ScottyT
Second Officer

Australia

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-7-19 13:17
If the gimble hits the ground it's going to bust the landing legs to do so and your home made little ...

Yes, but I think that's not what he's wanting to protect the gimble from. In that case all bets are likely off.

I like the idea that a protector would ensure safety from a stray outcrop or two with a semi-controlled landing, but also from the likes of longish grass, especially the wet kind. Would help with takeoff too, to prevent gimbal overload errors.

Consider putting loose cable ties in to the two unbound gimble holes, to help prevent the camera being thrown clear in a hard impact.
2015-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules