1574 11 2021-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I recently bought a used M2P and am enjoying it's use very much after using my Mini, Mini2, and MA2 for the last year. When I tried the FPV mode on the M2P, I noticed a big difference between it and the others I own. The FPV motion seems to be linked to the roll instead of to the yaw as done on the others (using Fly app). Is this a fixed thing or can it be changed? I have gotten used to the yaw FPV and prefer it to the roll FPV, even though I know it is probably more in line with real aircraft.
Thanks for any help.

p.s. I am 73.. and trying to control 3 axes will be a lot harder for this old guy ;-)

2021-5-10
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Too difficult a question?
2021-5-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

I do not know if this helps but i was just parctising this today: Gimbal Mode – Change between Follow and FPV mode. Follow mode is the default mode, keeping the gimbal and camera horizontal even as the drone pitches forward or rolls sideways. Follow mode is ideal for recording cinematic video footage and aerial photography. FPV mode locks the camera to the movements of the aircraft, giving you a first-person perspective. This can be a fun mode to fly in, although it creates jerky and unpleasant camera movements not suitable for most filming situations.
I am 75, but I think that after you are 35 you do not get older anymore just better, and now we are just damn good
2021-5-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

It is quick, but here is how you set it.
2021-5-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

I bit more about the settings:  
2021-5-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

For reference, I am using Mode 2 control on all remotes and drones:

I know how to switch to FPV mode, been doing that for many months now. But with the MA2, the visual tilt effect works by moving the yaw control (left stick, left and right) only while flying forward (not stopped). With the M2P, it works by moving the roll control (right stick, left and right) in any condition (stopped or moving). Why the difference? I just checked the Mini and I know at one time it behaved by using the left stick (yaw), but now it uses the right stick (roll). The Mini 2 is the same now. Am I missing some hidden setting?

To sum it up:
With the MA2, I use just the 2 axes to simulate FPV mode, forward (tilt) and turn (yaw). This makes it easy to do, very smooth.
With the M2P, I have to use 3 axes, forward (tilt), left/right (roll), and turn (yaw). This is much harder to do and get it smooth.

2021-5-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Hmmm..... Now I understand you. I use mode 2 also, but have never used MA2. Why this difference is, I do not know. I can not see why it would be different on different drones. Could some firmware update have changed this and no one informed about it? Perhaps someone else would know or if DJI could explain this.
2021-5-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Does anyone know the answer to this question please?
2021-5-14
Use props
djiuser_cjk6vNt13w5x
New
Canada

This is something that has been going around for a while, and is currently effecting the Mavic 3. The effect you are going for is the result of a "coordinated turn" - inputting both yaw and roll while moving forward. A little challenging at first, but easy enough and useful once you get the hang of it.

You can perform this type of turn in either Follow or FPV mode, but you will only see the visual effect of it in FPV.

Now, FPV mode should lock the gimbal to the aircraft, allowing movement in no direction but pitch (up and down) on it's own, like the DJI FPV drone, or Parrot Anafi. However, each DJI model seems to handle this setting differently, and usually poorly.

On the Mavic 3, and Air 2s the drone will automatically perform the coordinated turn when moving forward - it does this regardless of mode. With FPV mode on, you will see the horizon tilt as you turn, intending to mimic the movements of a normal aircraft.

2022-3-16
Use props
djiuser_cjk6vNt13w5x
New
Canada

The Mini 2, will not perform coordinated turns on it's own, but it does do something weird. When making a yaw input while moving forward in FPV mode the gimbal itself will twist sideways to give you the visual effect of the turn, yet the aircraft itself does not roll. This is extremely jarring and often causes the gimbal to bounce around if you attempt to execute a real coordinated turn yourself.

I have not flown a Mavic 1 or 2, so I can't speak for how they handle it.

Bottom line, DJI needs to allow a setting for enabling and disabling the automatic coordinated turn, and a setting for a true FPV mode where the gimbal only adjust pitch in relation to forward and backwards movement. All drones with a 3 axis gimbal should be able to manage this setting easily.

Please fix it soon!
2022-3-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_cjk6vNt13w5x Posted at 3-16 13:30
The Mini 2, will not perform coordinated turns on it's own, but it does do something weird. When making a yaw input while moving forward in FPV mode the gimbal itself will twist sideways to give you the visual effect of the turn, yet the aircraft itself does not roll. This is extremely jarring and often causes the gimbal to bounce around if you attempt to execute a real coordinated turn yourself.

I have not flown a Mavic 1 or 2, so I can't speak for how they handle it.

I understand that well. The topic is about why there is a difference between models. Probably some difference in the hardware or software base.
2022-3-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the coordinated turns in Mavics are a recent introduction and possibly arrived with the MA2, I seem to remember spotting a cordinated turn made by a guy over on Mavic pilots who was mad keen on flying through sparse woodland on his property and I think he had the MA2.

''I just checked the Mini and I know at one time it behaved by using the left stick (yaw), but now it uses the right stick (roll).''     I have had my Mavic Mini since May 2020 and it has never done a automated coordinated turns, it has been on firmware version 1.0.5 for its entire life ......
So, as to why......I suspect the DJI programming team just got a little fancy, Isn't it also the drone with which they introduced the power saving RTH that can leave the drone at a riduculous height when it arrives over the home point?
Personally I think it's a pity coordinated turns haven't been added to the other mavic but such is life.
2022-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules