Solar Power To Charge DJI Mini 2 Two-Way Charging Hub
2750 7 2021-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seamusob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56434 ft
Germany

Apologies if this has been already covered but I've been unable to find a definitive answer.

I am planning a long distance cycling tour and I am trying to work out if it would be feasable to charge the Two-Way Charging Hub via solar panels, e.g. the Anker PowerPort Solar 21W?  Or would it make more sense to charge a seperate powerbank from the solar panels and then charge the Two-Way Charging Hub from that?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

2021-5-11
Use props
IrishD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140951 ft
Ireland

That's a cool product.

under perfect conditions it looks like it has enough power but what happens if sun goes into cover ?
could be that it switches to a trickle charge or something, not sure how the charging hub would like that.
am sure some1 on here can give you a more informative answer
2021-5-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

i use a very large capacity powerbank...at night (on camp sites etc) use the 220 to load the powerbank again..
But if you never during travel see a 220 socket....than mayby a solar panel will do the trick.

cheers
JJB
2021-5-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there seamusob. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. Since this is a 3rd party charger ( solar panels  ) to charge your DJI Mini 2 intelligent flight batteries. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members who owns the DJI Mini 2 and are using a solar panel to do this process. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party chargers like powerbanks to charge your DJI Mini 2's intelligent flight battery. There is a  possibility that these charger will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said charger. In addition, using 3rd party chargers like power banks might cause damage or harm on your DJI Mini 2 intelligent flight batteries and can void the warranty as well. Thank you.
2021-5-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-11 20:04
Hello there seamusob. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. Since this is a 3rd party charger ( solar panels  ) to charge your DJI Mini 2 intelligent flight batteries. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members who owns the DJI Mini 2 and are using a solar panel to do this process. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party chargers like powerbanks to charge your DJI Mini 2's intelligent flight battery. There is a  possibility that these charger will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability of the said charger. In addition, using 3rd party chargers like power banks might cause damage or harm on your DJI Mini 2 intelligent flight batteries and can void the warranty as well. Thank you.

Hi Stephen,

The original DJI two-way charging hub for the mini2 needs an input voltage of 5, 9 or 12 Vdc.
Output voltage to the battery in the hub is max 8.8 Vdc.

So where is the intelligent part of the mini2 battery ?  Is it in the original charger or in the battery ?

I asked my mini2 battery if it can feel difference in loading voltage of the original dji charger or on a non original charger. Answer was:  nope, i just like to feel the correct voltage on my contacts, i have no idea from wich apparatus i get my juice....

Mayby it it wise for DJI to sell a smaller charger than the original charger for the MINI2, as it is often used for travellers who need small chargers for their car or motorcycle etc.

I use my original DJI mini2 batt charger at home, feed by 5 Vdc on a usb power supply, does work great ofcourse, on travelling i use a smaller charger, as said   battery does not feel the difference. 8.8 loading voltage = 8.8 loading voltage (as long as the amps are below max value)

So how intelligent is the battery ??

cheers
JJB
2021-5-11
Use props
Savage Dronie
New
Spain

Did you manage to test this? Also consdieering this set up for a bikepacking trip in kyrgyzstan
2022-5-23
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 2021-5-11 23:04
Hi Stephen,

The original DJI two-way charging hub for the mini2 needs an input voltage of 5, 9 or 12 Vdc.

Ahh . . . humor coupled with an interesting subject - I like it - also think that a solar charger from DJI would please quite a few folks as it makes money for DJI.
2022-5-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I have tried all this some years ago in Australia, where we get quite a lot of sun, but the solar panel size necessary to do the work was too large and took too long. I found the best solution is to carry more batteries.
2022-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules