Wind Speed from a Weather Report
423 5 2021-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

I am a brand new drone flyer and recently purchased the Mini 2.

When getting ready to fly I read the reported wind speed for my flight area.  I also have UAV Forecast on my phone and check it just before taking off.

If the wind is reported at, say, 11 mph with gusts of 24 mph, at what altitude are those readings usually taken.  

I am aware that the higher you go the stronger the wind. If those readings are taken close to ground level, how high would you have to be before those numbers are drastically off?
2021-5-11
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1942792 ft
Australia

If using real time wind speed/gusts from a meteorological weather station (Australia it would be the BoM, US the NWS, NZ the MetService ect), anemometer is always 10 metres AGL.

UAV Forecast would be weather model based, could use one or more weather models (GFS, ECMWF, CMC GEM ect). I have found it to be close at times but other times wrong.
2021-5-11
Use props
Chanc3
lvl.2
Canada

With UAV forecast, you can set the altitude for the wind speed displayed. Click on wind then you can set altitude and max wind speed.
2021-5-11
Use props
Ontario Drone
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks for the tip with the UAV forecast Chanc3.   Already checked out.  

I did not know about the anemometer readings usually taken at 10 metres AGL  Thanks AussieDronePilot.  

Asked and answered!
2021-5-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Ontario Drone. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. Just a reminder that the DJI Mini 2 has a Maximum Wind Speed Resistance of 8.5-10.5 m/s ( Scale 5 ). Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-5-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

UAV can be hit and miss, I find it helpful when looking forward to what the weather is likely to be and use as a gauge of when and where to fly. But using your common sense when going out to fly as well as trusted weather channels will always be you best bet, experience will help as you go forward.
2021-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules