Pocket 1 - Exposure fluctuations
1624 7 2021-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gypson
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi guys

I am trying to make long walking vids but am having issues with a new to me Osmo Pocket 1.  I find that the exposure 'hunts' wildly swinging for a split second which ruins footage - I have made the below video to demonstrate.

I know about exposure lock but this isn't what I was looking for as want a set and forget while walking continuously rather than stopping to adjust shutter/iso when I enter a building and light drops for example.

If you guys could cast your expert eye on my footage and let me know what you think (is there a hardware issue perhaps) - also I could return this and get a pocket 2 (double price) but would do so if you think it will help.

Thanks in advance

2021-5-12
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

You are going from a glaring bright to a close-up black. It's surprising how quickly the Pocket responds. In gradually changing exposures, this could be a good trait.
Maybe you might plan your path as not to come so close to highly contrasting subjects.

As far as "ruining" the footage is concerned, what was the point of this scene? Maybe some editing would be in order ...

2021-5-12
Use props
Robb OConnor
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just like Curt1591’s reply the problem is one of contrast. The OP is actually doing a good job of reacting to extremes of bright and dark so it’s not faulty. The problem is user error ( and don’t worry we are all guilty of that ) in auto mode the OP will try to keep up with exposure but if you challenge it like that, ie the black coat and black lamppost are  good examples  of dark exposure and then immediately bright sunshine it will struggle . It does need you to think about what you are shooting  and practice makes perfect
2021-5-13
Use props
gypson
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 5-12 15:08
You are going from a glaring bright to a close-up black. It's surprising how quickly the Pocket responds. In gradually changing exposures, this could be a good trait.
Maybe you might plan your path as not to come so close to highly contrasting subjects.

Hi Curt

Thanks for taking the time to reply and yes I would agree that the OP is very fast at adjusting for changing light conditions.  I think if I take more care moving forward these issues can be mitigated.. Cheers
2021-5-13
Use props
gypson
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Robb OConnor Posted at 5-13 02:49
Just like Curt1591’s reply the problem is one of contrast. The OP is actually doing a good job of reacting to extremes of bright and dark so it’s not faulty. The problem is user error ( and don’t worry we are all guilty of that ) in auto mode the OP will try to keep up with exposure but if you challenge it like that, ie the black coat and black lamppost are  good examples  of dark exposure and then immediately bright sunshine it will struggle . It does need you to think about what you are shooting  and practice makes perfect

Thanks Robb and it's good to allay my fears RE it being broken (easy to want to believe it is anything but my skills or lack thereof!).  I have found also that setitng the focus point in the bottom corner rather than dead centre helps alot with preventing the exposure switching so often, I will get some practice in!

Cheers
2021-5-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is quite common I think, but you can fix the exposure (AE lock) I believe.
2021-5-21
Use props
Mgozer
lvl.4
Switzerland

Montfrooij Posted at 5-21 06:35
This is quite common I think, but you can fix the exposure (AE lock) I believe.

You are right.
Just use manual exposure and this won't happen anymore.
2021-6-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mgozer Posted at 6-8 22:34
You are right.
Just use manual exposure and this won't happen anymore.

I have to say it is quite a thing to set up on this tiny screen.
But I'm not complaining, just need to get used to it.
2021-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules