Slow satellite acquisition
2328 14 2021-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BASC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 359478 ft
United Kingdom

Has anyone noticed how long it takes to be ready to fly ie. GPS locked.i just did a test outside full view blue sky no obstacles. until it acquired 12 satellites no GPS lock, it took 1 minute 53 seconds for this from power on. no biggie really but i noticed this as i was waiting to capture something that was approaching the other day and missed it as the Air 2 s did not acquire the GPS lock fast enough so today i timed it .its way slower at this than my last 2, Air 2 aircraft.it will not give a GPS lock until it grabs 12 satellites im not sure is this is intentional for accuracy maybe ?. i don't know how many the Air 2 needed to fly with GPS lock maybe someone on here has one still to test side by side.
2021-5-12
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is the same symptom that wound up creating my "unable to fly" condition. I asked this same question last Friday and a DJI moderator said to update firmware using DJI Assistant. Don't do it. Taking longer to find Satellites with the Air 2S must be a normal thing but I haven't heard what the fix is but do not update with Assistant
2021-5-13
Use props
BASC
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Flormo2002 Posted at 5-13 02:24
This is the same symptom that wound up creating my "unable to fly" condition. I asked this same question last Friday and a DJI moderator said to update firmware using DJI Assistant. Don't do it. Taking longer to find Satellites with the Air 2S must be a normal thing but I haven't heard what the fix is but do not update with Assistant

Ok Flormo thanks just updated to latest version using the app not the assistant seems even slower now to acquire .
will go out in the field later
2021-5-13
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BASC Posted at 5-13 02:29
Ok Flormo thanks just updated to latest version using the app not the assistant seems even slower now to acquire .
will go out in the field later

Hopefully another firmware update will fix the taking a long time to find enough satellites or I'll just learn to be more patient and wait.
2021-5-13
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Have you tried with phone GPS, internet and bluetooth enabled?
Make a try...
Also in phone check that icon for Accurate location using Network, BTH and GPS, not only the GPS.
I have seen an improvement on SC when has internet and is using all this for location, as A2S seems to get 12 sats in about 15-20 seconds...but better you check also to see if helps or is just my area that is better covered sometimes.
2021-5-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 5-13 22:02
Make a try...
Also in phone check that icon for Accurate location using Network, BTH and GPS, not only the GPS.

None of that will make a scrap of difference.
The issue is the GPS receiver in the drone.
Whatever you do with your phone is completely independent of the drone and it's GPS receiver.

I have seen an improvement on SC when has internet and is using all this for location, as A2S seems to get 12 sats in about 15-20 seconds...but better you check also to see if helps
And internet data to your controller also won't make any difference to the GPS receiver in your drone.

or is just my area that is better covered sometimes.
No area is better covered.
The satellites are orbiting to give good coverage everywhere.

2021-5-13
Use props
FB: GeoDrone4K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Labroides Posted at 5-13 22:13
Also in phone check that icon for Accurate location using Network, BTH and GPS, not only the GPS.
None of that will make a scrap of difference.

Areas are covered differently, as you have a number of visible sats and also an inclining degree and so on...
You can check the UAV forecast in order to see how will vary the visible sats number.
Cheers.
2021-5-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FB: GeoDrone4K Posted at 5-13 22:48
Areas are covered differently, as you have a number of visible sats and also an inclining degree and so on...
You can check the UAV forecast in order to see how will vary the visible sats number.
Cheers.

Sorry ... you are speaking nonsense.
The satellites aren't stationary  above anywhere.
They are orbiting while the earth rotates.
All areas are getting plenty of coverage with different satellites appearing over your horizon all the time.
You could check UAV forecast, but you'd be wasting your time.
Wherever you are in the world, you'll always have plenty more sats than you need.
2021-5-14
Use props
BASC
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ok not flown for a few days ,went outside today, open space weather partly cloudy.
turned on Air 2 s, after startup tone i started stopwatch and watched the screen after 2 mins and 25 seconds i got a GPS lock but that was after waiting for 16 satellites to be found .once airborne after a few mins i had 26 . why oh why is it so slow to get a GPS lock after not being used for a while ,if i go back out within 15 mins its instant .way way slower than the old Air 2 i had, so this is a common issue it seems across the Air 2 s board ,lets hope DJI can sort this out with some new firmware .
2021-5-18
Use props
SjK_oldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73583045 ft
United States

Yes..  I have this issue as well
2021-5-18
Use props
BASC
lvl.3
United Kingdom

SjK_oldman Posted at 5-18 04:49
Yes..  I have this issue as well

i do think they are all the same tbh.
2021-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Flormo2002 Posted at 2021-5-13 02:24

Hi what was the outcome of all of this ?
2022-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BASC Posted at 2021-5-18 04:40
ok not flown for a few days ,went outside today, open space weather partly cloudy.
turned on Air 2 s, after startup tone i started stopwatch and watched the screen after 2 mins and 25 seconds i got a GPS lock but that was after waiting for 16 satellites to be found .once airborne after a few mins i had 26 . why oh why is it so slow to get a GPS lock after not being used for a while ,if i go back out within 15 mins its instant .way way slower than the old Air 2 i had, so this is a common issue it seems across the Air 2 s board ,lets hope DJI can sort this out with some new firmware .

Hi did you find a resolution to this problem ?
2022-3-27
Use props
Flormo2002
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-27 23:51
Hi what was the outcome of all of this ?

Just tested my Air 2S a few minutes ago and took about 45 seconds sitting inside my house. Looking back at the Air 2S threads from last year, reminded me that the 2S had similar issues we are finding with the Mavic 3 but just not as long
2022-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Flormo2002 Posted at 3-28 06:42
Just tested my Air 2S a few minutes ago and took about 45 seconds sitting inside my house. Looking back at the Air 2S threads from last year, reminded me that the 2S had similar issues we are finding with the Mavic 3 but just not as long

Thanks for getting back to me. I was just wondering if there was an update to fix this or what might have been the cause. Interesting.
2022-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules