When does drone warn you batteries are too hot.
4629 14 2021-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kyalami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Today we had +25 deg C and it was a wonderful day here where I live in Sweden. I checked the battery temperature on the battery at the end of a flight which was not pushed too hard and in P mode and it showed 46,3 deg C, so I wonder how warm the battery can be and it is safe to fly. Also does the drone warn you and at what temperature would that be? I will some time this year be flying in about +38 deg C and would like to know what temepratures of the battery to look out for, before I am in trouble. Thanks.
2021-5-13
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

as the specs indicate to use the drone between -10 and +40 C.

Just see you let cool down the batteries after usage before recharging them again.

I fly the M2P in the tropics around +28 C to +34 C without problems. I let the batteries cool down inside the house before recharging.

Also using a mini2, which has no active cooling in the same temperature range.

Never had a warning about heat, so I don't know if there is one.
2021-5-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there kyalami. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. As posted above the DJI Mavic 2 Pro has an Operating Temperature Range of -10°C to 40°C. Kindly please check the said intelligent flight batteries for any damages or abnormalities before each flight. If the said DJI intelligent flight battery is still within the warranty period, please refer to the link below to contact DJI Support for further assistance. Thank you and fly safe always.

https://www.dji.com/support
2021-5-13
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

JohnDG Posted at 5-13 19:45
as the specs indicate to use the drone between -10 and +40 C.

Just see you let cool down the batteries after usage before recharging them again.

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I know about the max 40 deg C, as per the manual. So I should always keep check on the battery temp in the drone when you are flying and when it gets to +40 deg C you land the craft? How long are you then able to fly in Malaysia when it is vey hot? I thought that there could be a warning peep from the drone when the battery get too hot.

I always let the batteries cool down before recharging them again and then I only charge them up to the storage capacity of 50 to 60%, as when I need the later another day, it only takes a hour for fully charge before flying. I have 2 batteries and is enough for me to fly for one day.

Thanks
Tony
2021-5-13
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-13 20:12
Hello there kyalami. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. As posted above the DJI Mavic 2 Pro has an Operating Temperature Range of -10°C to 40°C. Kindly please check the said intelligent flight batteries for any damages or abnormalities before each flight. If the said DJI intelligent flight battery is still within the warranty period, please refer to the link below to contact DJI Support for further assistance. Thank you and fly safe always.

https://www.dji.com/support

Hello Stephen,
Many thanks for your reply and I understand now that even when you fly, the batteries should never go over 40 deg C. This was the thing that I was not sure of. I will certainly take care of the batteries even when I flying. It has been cold up here north when I have been flying so far and never seen that the batteries got over +40 deg C before. Only yesterday when it was + 25 deg C here I noticed that the battery got up to +46,3 deg C towards the end of the flight. This worried me a bit, as when down in the tropics it would get so much warmer, and wondered how long you would be able to fly then.
2021-5-13
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Malaysia

kyalami Posted at 5-13 23:16
Hi John,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I know about the max 40 deg C, as per the manual. So I should always keep check on the battery temp in the drone when you are flying and when it gets to +40 deg C you land the craft? How long are you then able to fly in Malaysia when it is vey hot? I thought that there could be a warning peep from the drone when the battery get too hot.

Hi Tony,

recently I have been experimenting with waypoints to document my house building project.

Correcting the flight path and angles I want photo's of. I drained the battery till it gave me the warning I should return home. Didn't really count the time. While correcting the waypoints, the drone was on the ground, but still operational. During that time it didn't had the airflow it should have during flight. So, it must have been 1/2 h I have used the drone with 1 battery. Replaced the battery and went of again.
Will check on the warmth of the battery after operation next time.
2021-5-14
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

JohnDG Posted at 5-14 02:13
Hi Tony,

recently I have been experimenting with waypoints to document my house building project.

Thanks John,
Appreciate your help John and look forward to learn what the battery temp was at the end of the flight and what the ambient temp was when you where flying. I will from now on keep a good check on the battery temp when it is warm outside and see what the flying time was when it came up to 40 deg C.  The cost of these batteries are too high to play around with. I get an average of about 22min in P mode, but not pushing the right stick at full throttle. That is with a warning of RTH at 25% battery left, which I follow. I still think it would have been nice to have some warning when the battery temp gets too high in case you do not keep a good look at this every time. But I guess that is the job of the captain.
Cheers
Tony
2021-5-14
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Malaysia

kyalami Posted at 5-14 05:16
Thanks John,
Appreciate your help John and look forward to learn what the battery temp was at the end of the flight and what the ambient temp was when you where flying. I will from now on keep a good check on the battery temp when it is warm outside and see what the flying time was when it came up to 40 deg C.  The cost of these batteries are too high to play around with. I get an average of about 22min in P mode, but not pushing the right stick at full throttle. That is with a warning of RTH at 25% battery left, which I follow. I still think it would have been nice to have some warning when the battery temp gets too high in case you do not keep a good look at this every time. But I guess that is the job of the captain.
Cheers

Hi Tony,

did some testing today. Aproximatly 20 min flight, battery drained to 19%.

Had to wait a couple of days, since the last couple of days we had some overcast and the temperature didn't go over 26 C.
Today is a warmer day. Blue sky, 32C (in the shade of course), dew point 26 C, humidity 74%, 4 km/h wind (it's called here Land below the wind). The tropics at it's best.
Had the drone warmed up a couple of minutes to avoid condense. When your in the tropics, you have to let your gear warm up, drone or camera. The devices are chilled by the airco's inside the house or car. Your electronics get wet, your lens damps because the high humidity. At night humidity goes to 97% or higher as the temperature drops to 25 - 26 degrees.

After the flight, got a low battery warning, no other warnings of overheating, the temperature on the bottom of the battery reached 49 degrees Celcius.  On top it reached only 39 C.

Hope you got an idea what to expect, visiting the tropics.

Cheers.
2021-5-15
Use props
xagoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1357589 ft
Greece

I live in Greece. I've been flying my M2P over the last 3 years, sometimes in very hot summer days. Can't really remember any warnings about high temperature, or any issues caused by that. Sometimes the batteries, get very warm at the end of the flight, but other than that, no real issues.
2021-5-15
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

JohnDG Posted at 5-15 21:51
Hi Tony,

did some testing today. Aproximatly 20 min flight, battery drained to 19%.

Hi John,

Many thanks for all the trouble you gone through about this. Much appreciated indeed.
Yes, it is very important to let the equipment warm up first if you bring it out from an air conditioned room, especially the camera lens. It fogs up very quickly otherwise. Learned that lesson when filming under water at Palau Tioman island.

Gee, that was hot under the battery, 49 deg C, wonder what it would have been inside? Well over 50 perhaps. I assume that you had a temperature gage to measure with. I wonder what it would have been inside if you checked the battery voltages on the RC by tapping the voltage gauge at the top right hand side, as there you can also see the temperature, which I assume is inside the battery.

Many thanks again John for advising me about this. You flew 20 min, so the inside temp would have been 40 deg C probably well before that. I will really look out for this next time I am down in the tropics, as it easily gets to 32 deg C on a warm day. Perhaps it gets over 40 C after about 15 min???

It is a pity that you can not set a warning your self for this, as it would probably only be software. You can set max height and max distance and get warnings, but not for the batt temp. So it would be nice to set temp as well, as that would save the batteries life time.

Cheers
Tony
2021-5-15
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

xagoras Posted at 5-15 22:48
I live in Greece. I've been flying my M2P over the last 3 years, sometimes in very hot summer days. Can't really remember any warnings about high temperature, or any issues caused by that. Sometimes the batteries, get very warm at the end of the flight, but other than that, no real issues.

Hi Xagaros,

I have never got any warning about this. That is why I got worried when my batteries showed such a high level above the 40 C at only 25 deg C outside. I Greece it would be much higher outside temp for sure in summer. It is a pity that you can not set a warning your self for this, as it would probably only be software matter. You can set max height and max distance and get warnings, but not for the batt temp. So it would be nice to set temp as well, as that would save the batteries life time. Perhaps something for DJI to look in to if possible. Software does not weigh anything extra he he he....
2021-5-15
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Today it was plus 25 deg C here (the swedes call this a heat wave he he he...) and I was flying watching the temp and after about 15 minutes flying the battery started to get up to 40 deg C. Normally until now, it has been cooler outside and I have been able to fly about 20-22 min and the battery never got over 40 deg C and Low Battery Warning at 30%. So I decided to set the the Low Battery Warning at 40% battery left, which is the time when the battery get 40 dec. This way in case I forget to check this, I will get a warning and return to home and the battery will newer get over 40 deg C. I will have to change this when it get even warmer outside. But a simple solution in case you forget to check this. The batteries are just too expensive to miss treat.
2021-6-5
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Today I learned from AussieDronePilot under the mini 2 forum, that the Mini 2 has a warning when the battery gets too hot that says “Battery power restricted. Aircraft performance decreased to ensure flight safety. Return to home promptly” So I wonder if any one has ever driven their Mavic s Pro so far, that this warning came up, or that the Mavic 2 Pro just do not have this warning. Perhaps this is something that DJI could comment on.
2021-6-16
Use props
Gordon G
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6813868 ft
Australia

I checked the internal battery temp via the app last week when air temp was only 8C. After flying around for maybe 10 mins, battery temp was just over 36C, so in warm weather I think it would be impossible to keep it below 40C. In summer I try to restrict flying to mornings before it heats up, as 35-40C by midday is quite common here in Australia, and would no doubt send the battery temp over 50C.
2021-6-16
Use props
kyalami
lvl.4
Sweden

Gordon G Posted at 6-16 23:32
I checked the internal battery temp via the app last week when air temp was only 8C. After flying around for maybe 10 mins, battery temp was just over 36C, so in warm weather I think it would be impossible to keep it below 40C. In summer I try to restrict flying to mornings before it heats up, as 35-40C by midday is quite common here in Australia, and would no doubt send the battery temp over 50C.

Thanks for that info Gordon. Interesting to see how quick the temp in the battery goes up even if it was only8 deg C. Must have been in your winter time. I know, it can get extremely hot in summer time. 2011 and 2012 we had 44 deg C in February outside Sydney where I lived for 32 years.
2021-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules