Inspire's altitude variation during transformation
1654 7 2015-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frank320
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1440459 ft
United States

Let me preface by saying that I have had about 100 flights with my Inspire thus far and it has been pretty much problem free.
Other than a couple of video/disconnect signals with this latest app version, my Inspire has been flying great.

Here's the issue: When i transfrom from landing mode to flight mode after take-off, the Inspire's altitude is maintained perfectly, both when i am less than 2.5m and the Inspire is using the VPS system to control altitude, or greater than 2.5m when the Inspire is using its internal barometer to control altitude. But, when i come in for a landing at the end of the flight and transform from flight mode into landing mode, the altitude control is visibily volatile and sometimes could move 2-3m in height even though the control sticks are untouched as the Inspire is transforming into landing mode for landing. This is visibily worse when the Inspire is at a height greater than 2.5 meters and is using its internal barometer to control altitude. The transforming procedure could sometimes cause the Inspire to drop in height only to recover the "lost" height a couple of seconds later. If the Inspire was at a height less than 2.5m and was using the VPS system to maintain its height during the transformation, then the altitude control is visibly better, although once in a while, it still varies its height noticably.

In most cases, i can control and manage the altitude by adding throttle, but fact that there is uncertainty about how the Inspire's height is going to be managed during every landing transformation is a little unnerving, since sometimes, the altitude is maintained perfectly by the Inspire itself, and sometimes, not.

If i were to guess, it might be related to the fact that at the end of the flight, the battery is depleted, hence the power draw from the inspire's landing gear transformation motor, coupled with its hovering, might be drawing a little too much power at the same time when the battery is already depleted(i normally land with about 30% left), resulting in the flight motors to lose some power temporarily, hence the drop in altitude for a couple of seconds. Or maybe my transformation motor is going bad(or about to go bad) and is drawing way too much power?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

2015-7-18
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-7-19 14:41
You might be able to confirm or eliminate your hypothesis by taking off with only 30% or so on your  ...

Just tried with fully charged battery pack. Issue still exists for me. When I had the inspire at a height of about 15m and transformed from flight mode to landing mode, the inspire dropped about 3-4m during the landing transformation, before recovering back to the original height after transformation was complete.

When inspire is close to the ground and using VPS to control height, it is better, but still...

Am I the only one experiencing this altitude variation during landing transformation?
2015-7-19
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Have you re-calibrated the remote?
2015-7-19
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-19 22:46
Have you re-calibrated the remote?

Not sure why calibrating remote would help, but just did it anyways.
Inspire still does not hold altitude well during landing transformation. Holds altitude perfectly in all other situations though, including landing to flight mode transformation, just not flight mode to landing transformation...
2015-7-19
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

frank320 Posted at 2015-7-20 04:30
Not sure why calibrating remote would help, but just did it anyways.
Inspire still does not hold  ...

Yeah, kind of a shot in the dark thought maybe throttle stick cal. off and showing up some weird way in transformation.  You probably should call support,  let us all know what they say if anything different than send it in.
2015-7-19
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

I fly to 30% and am not noticing this. Try an IMU calibration even if it says it isn't necessary.
2015-7-19
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Frank,

As far as I am aware, the sensors under the aircraft are used to detect the approaching ground when landing.  So unless you have something interfering with the sensors then it may be the sensors are malfunctioning and giving a false altitude reading to the onboard systems.  Worth perhaps a chat with support to clarify, but this is certainly out of the ordinary and not right so get it sorted before it manifests into something greater.
2015-7-21
Use props
marcosbruning
New

Brazil

frank320 Posted at 2015-7-19 22:05
Just tried with fully charged battery pack. Issue still exists for me. When I had the inspire at a ...

I'm facing altitude variation problems with Inspire 1. Even with the landing gear in flight mode is happening variation altutude .
2016-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules