No firmware update for over two months?
1101 24 2021-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vertigocal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 554928 ft
Germany

I don‘t have serious issues with the drone but it seems many people aren‘t that lucky. And some features would be nice too..

But two and a half months after release still no firmware update or even an announcement from dji is really disappointing.
It‘s my first dji drone and my decision for dji was because of their product support. But where is it?
Why does it take so long to fix the bugs?
When we‘ll see an update?
2021-5-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Vertigocal. Good day and thank you for reaching out. As of the moment, we do not have any information with DJI's future updates for the DJI FPV and with regards to this matter. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.
2021-5-14
Use props
Vertigocal
lvl.3
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-14 00:50
Hello there Vertigocal. Good day and thank you for reaching out. As of the moment, we do not have any information with DJI's future updates for the DJI FPV and with regards to this matter. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.

Hello Stephen,
Thanks for the reply but this is the default message regarding updates we all get since over two months now. It would be fine if dji would say „sorry folks we need some more weeks to fix something“. But ANY kind of information would be really appreciated. A approximate timeframe, a roadmap, anything like this.
2021-5-14
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

It’s a little odd we haven’t seen anything at all from DJI on the FPV since release.  My guess is that because this is a new category for them, they are a little slower then usual.
2021-5-14
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Another possibility is DJI has already started deemphasizing the FPV drone. Only DJI knows for sure, but it could be that the response to the FPV drone wasn't what they had hoped; supply problems coupled with the FPV community not abandoning existing FPV gear for the DJI drone wholesale like they wanted. It could even be the huge number of crashes, but not as many taking advantage of "refresh" as they wanted after customers saw the "sticker shock" of the "deductibles" - which don't really make financial sense. They are a significant portion of the cost of just buying a new aircraft outright. And so revenue from the refresh program is significantly less than they anticipated.

For example, notice on the DJI store that there are scarcely any structural or electronic parts available - the landing gear tabs and the camera, and that's really all. No arms, motors, structural parts, replacement electronics, nothing.  So demand for parts is definitely a lot lower than makes sense for them to offer and keep in stock.

The initial excitement about it has definitely dropped off and it's possible even the Air 2S pulled some potential FPV drone customers away.

So DJI might already be taking resources off the FPV drone and moving them to other projects. If so, that would mean the development team for the drone's firmware is smaller and now has less ambitious goals. That could explain in part why attention seems to have shifted away from it at DJI a little bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the next firmware update(s) are too little too late and don't actually fix the really major problems, and if they quickly stop coming altogether after only a couple of them.

Probably a little bit unlikely, but definitely not an inconceivable scenario given DJI's history. They've very often orphaned even fairly new products almost immediately (like the original DJI goggles, and some of their older drones, etc)....

2021-5-14
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

luciens Posted at 5-14 07:22
Another possibility is DJI has already started deemphasizing the FPV drone. Only DJI knows for sure, but it could be that the response to the FPV drone wasn't what they had hoped; supply problems coupled with the FPV community not abandoning existing FPV gear for the DJI drone wholesale like they wanted. It could even be the huge number of crashes, but not as many taking advantage of "refresh" as they wanted after customers saw the "sticker shock" of the "deductibles" - which don't really make financial sense. They are a significant portion of the cost of just buying a new aircraft outright. And so revenue from the refresh program is significantly less than they anticipated.

For example, notice on the DJI store that there are scarcely any structural or electronic parts available - the landing gear tabs and the camera, and that's really all. No arms, motors, structural parts, replacement electronics, nothing.  So demand for parts is definitely a lot lower than makes sense for them to offer and keep in stock.

"No arms, motors, structural parts, replacement electronics, nothing.  So demand for parts is definitely a lot lower than makes sense for them to offer and keep in stock."

I think this is evidence of the opposite. The demand is greater than the production.

DJI limited FPV drone sales to single purchases. There are lots of people who had to wait a long time to get their drones.

I managed to purchase two of them but the purchases were several weeks apart.
"the FPV community not abandoning existing FPV gear for the DJI drone wholesale like they wanted."

I have a hard time believing DJI thought people were going to abandon their existing FPV gear. From what I've seen, the DJI FPV drone sold really really well. As it should. It's an amazing drone for what it does. It doesn't crash well but it's great for flying around and admiring the view. The video transmission quality can't be beat.

I think DJI is doing what many companies do, try to minimize the amount they need to spend once they already have the customer's money. I'm not convinced we have enough evidence one way or the other regarding DJI's plans for the FPV drone.
2021-5-14
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I don’t really use mine as a conventional FPV drone.  I have other quads for that, and obviously this thing doesn’t crash well.
2021-5-14
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Duane Degn Posted at 5-14 10:21
"No arms, motors, structural parts, replacement electronics, nothing.  So demand for parts is definitely a lot lower than makes sense for them to offer and keep in stock."

I think this is evidence of the opposite. The demand is greater than the production.

As for the parts, I mean they're not even offered in their store. Not just listed but out of stock, but not available period. If they're not even available for sale, it's hard to say what the demand is. Though chances are it's too low for DJI to even list them. There are 3rd party sites out there that offer various parts, but I don't know if those aren't cloned poorer quality parts, or if the parts actually exist at all.

As for the FPV market, I think DJI had pretty high expectations. I think they really expected it to make a huge dent in the current DIY FPV drone market and maybe even cripple it. But it hardly dinged it at all, really. Developing their digital video system was no small task and it surely cost a lot of money and developer time. So my guess is the ROI they were expecting with FPV drone might not have actually materialized. OTOH, it may have totally blown away expectations . Only DJI knows, so I admit I'm only speculating.

Another more likely cause is that the problems in the first release aren't actually trivial or easy to fix. The problem with losing binding when switching from the drone to the FPV digital system, might be difficult for example. The goggles are completely rebooting and loading two entirely different firmwares when this is done. There could be a hardware constraint that makes it hard to store the bindings between reboots. Or something like that.
Even improving the tune on the drone. It comes down with the motors pretty warm already as is, after a flight. If they have to tighten up the tune even more by turning up some of the PIDs, they may be dealing with a hot-motor situation.

And so on. So it could be they just have a lot of work to do to fix what they want to fix, and it's just taking a long time. That's probably more plausible than they're already ditching the FPV drone, but I'm a healthy pessimist . So I usually assume worst-case to start with when it comes to DJI....
2021-5-14
Use props
cootertwo
Second Officer
United States

By tinkering with the current (as of 05/13) "afterservice" log in thing, I found a V01.01.2201 that I tried in my new goggles, that seem to be locked on a menu screen, and the buttons will not work. It did not fix the problem, so I went back to the last one that shows when I use "my" log in. Goggles still stuck on menu. They activated fine, no problem, did the upgrades to drone, controller and goggles. On first boot, they show image from camera, then go to the select language screen, and none of the buttons work. I can hear a beep when pressing buttons, but no effect on screen ??????  So frustrating.
2021-5-14
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

cootertwo Posted at 5-14 12:18
By tinkering with the current (as of 05/13) "afterservice" log in thing, I found a V01.01.2201 that I tried in my new goggles, that seem to be locked on a menu screen, and the buttons will not work. It did not fix the problem, so I went back to the last one that shows when I use "my" log in. Goggles still stuck on menu. They activated fine, no problem, did the upgrades to drone, controller and goggles. On first boot, they show image from camera, then go to the select language screen, and none of the buttons work. I can hear a beep when pressing buttons, but no effect on screen ??????  So frustrating.

"So frustrating."

I can imagine.

Make sure you contact DJI support. This doesn't sound right.
2021-5-14
Use props
FrootWhoopz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253832 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too don't think DJI is abandoning ship, specially so early in this venture, even some of the reps in the USA who have been interviewed have said this was aimed more at people wanting to get into FPV rather than replace quads in the custom style FPV industry/hobby. From what I see and hear from one of DJI's biggest distributors here in the UK (CVP) they and DJI are selling large numbers of the FPV Drone and my guess for the lack of parts is that they are prioritising those parts for their Combo pack, same as the goggles, they are putting most of the  goggles in the combo and thats why they are always out of stock, and obviously the chip shortage is not helping.

As for the lack of updates, I can't guess why it would take so long, its not like they have to fix every single issue before they release any updates, they could have at least sorted some or even one.
2021-5-14
Use props
cootertwo
Second Officer
United States

I keep hoping someone from DJI will chime in, and have a simple fix for my problem. DJI sent me a return label, but stated that they could not replace, only repair, @ $60 per hour. I bought the FPV kit from Amazon, and they have given me $200 credit, so I guess I'll come out OK, if/when they go through the return process. We'll see.
2021-5-14
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1775299 ft
United States

I say we see a firmware update in about 3 months, being an fpv quad in manual mode I guess they have heavy heavy research done to make sure nothing effects the controls or ability to switch from M to N if the computer feels anything is fishy...

it takes time, plus they also probably have a smaller dev team from the start
2021-5-15
Use props
thetechnobear
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2804810 ft
Spain

Im with @whoreable...
its a v1 product , often in this case, the first few firmware revisions can be pretty big - partly due to feedback, partly features they'd planned but didn't make it into the first release.
the bigger the firmware release - the longer it takes to get it out the door (testing etc)

also... the Air2s was released (and rumours of the Mavic 3) , so possible that diverted some resources.

as for the DJI FPV, we have no idea how DJI feel about its success - I think it seems to have done pretty well.
DJI didn't design this for diy/existing fpv-ers, and they'd have known full well that it wouldn't be what they want - so that 'negativity' was likely expected.
if you look more broadly at social media - the dji fpv actually seem to have been received well.

I do hope we get a new firmware soon.... but it could be a while.
personally, I just want to see if there is any change in support on the controller front...
will the Controller v2 support the Air Unit (new / old) ? will the FPV drone support Controller v1?

I don't think it will... but that intention will be clearer after the first firmware update (imho)
then I can can make a decision about what to get so I can fly other quads with the DJI googles.
2021-5-16
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The main thing on my wish list is some way to adjust the PIDs. The one major problem the drone has right now that really effects me is the tune, which is terrible, especially in manual mode. And I would bet that the slow drifting I see in both my drones in manual mode is just not enough I-term. If one were able to adjust the PIDs, the usability of it in manual mode could be dramatically improved.
That's apart from the really show-stopper bugs like the activation problems, the goofball thing with linking to a phone number in DJI fly that doesn't work right, and the lost bindings when switching back and forth between FPV drone and digital system firmwares. I'd like to see those things fixed too.
2021-5-16
Use props
menithings
lvl.1
United States

I’m on standby for the 24 FPS firmware update that DJI confirmed in a YouTube interview some time ago. If there isn’t an update soon (I’m in production on a feature film) I’ll just have to do my workaround with 50fps footage. A bit annoying but I’m guessing the next update may be a big one, hence the wait.
2021-5-16
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2832844 ft
Italy

luciens Posted at 5-16 08:53
The main thing on my wish list is some way to adjust the PIDs. The one major problem the drone has right now that really effects me is the tune, which is terrible, especially in manual mode. And I would bet that the slow drifting I see in both my drones in manual mode is just not enough I-term. If one were able to adjust the PIDs, the usability of it in manual mode could be dramatically improved.
That's apart from the really show-stopper bugs like the activation problems, the goofball thing with linking to a phone number in DJI fly that doesn't work right, and the lost bindings when switching back and forth between FPV drone and digital system firmwares. I'd like to see those things fixed too.

Hello !!

I've been flying with FPV builds for 5 years now and I've never had a DJI drone. This DJI FPV drone is the first DJI drone ..... and honestly I would have expected a better PID adjustment. Logically I only use the manual mode but unfortunately this drone at the moment flies really badly compared to the build kiss !!

The fact of being able to enable the user to change the PID the Dji will never allow it .... if you exaggerate with the settings you could burn ESC and motors .... so forget about the possibility of intervening on these settings !!

Greetings
2021-5-16
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Max90payneFPV Posted at 5-16 10:32
Hello !!

I've been flying with FPV builds for 5 years now and I've never had a DJI drone. This DJI FPV drone is the first DJI drone ..... and honestly I would have expected a better PID adjustment. Logically I only use the manual mode but unfortunately this drone at the moment flies really badly compared to the build kiss !!

Unfortunately, I think you're probably right. But I can hope anyway. I'm pretty spoiled by my iflight titan DC5 and chimera 7, which are running Betaflight 4.2. They just fly so much enormously better than the FPV drone in manual mode. So I'm just hoping that at some point the tune will be tightened up in the FPV drone, it's acting like everything is just too low, I-term, P-term and D-term could all stand to be turned up.

In saying that, I'll be honest and say I fly my FPV drone in Normal mode now about 95% of the time. The other 5% I fly in Sport mode. It's just more enjoyable for sightseeing and doesn't wobble and wander nearly as much. So I won't quit flying my FPV drone even if they never fix the tune.

But it would be really nice if they did. It can fly a heck of a lot better than it does now, and probably fairly easily.
2021-5-16
Use props
Vertigocal
lvl.3
Germany

It‘s almost three months now since the release of the dji fpv and still no firmware update or any notice from dji. It‘s really disapointing. What the heck is going on? Did they abbandoned it?
Dji really should be more communicative towards it‘s community.
2021-5-28
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

luciens Posted at 5-16 12:01
Unfortunately, I think you're probably right. But I can hope anyway. I'm pretty spoiled by my iflight titan DC5 and chimera 7, which are running Betaflight 4.2. They just fly so much enormously better than the FPV drone in manual mode. So I'm just hoping that at some point the tune will be tightened up in the FPV drone, it's acting like everything is just too low, I-term, P-term and D-term could all stand to be turned up.

In saying that, I'll be honest and say I fly my FPV drone in Normal mode now about 95% of the time. The other 5% I fly in Sport mode. It's just more enjoyable for sightseeing and doesn't wobble and wander nearly as much. So I won't quit flying my FPV drone even if they never fix the tune.

Hello !!

I fly only with kiss build and firmware and also I confirm that my 5 and 7 inches fly much better than the Dji FPV in M mode.

Honestly I can't understand why after 3 months the DJI still hasn't fixed something on this drone.

I have never had DJI drones (always flown with build) and as a first purchase I am deeply disappointed.

Also I had to send my V2 goggles for assistance after less than two months .... absurd after spending 1500 Euros !!

I have now been without my equipment for 2 weeks and I cannot fly ....

The DJI really disappointed me
2021-5-28
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Max90payneFPV Posted at 5-28 20:45
Hello !!

I fly only with kiss build and firmware and also I confirm that my 5 and 7 inches fly much better than the Dji FPV in M mode.

Two weeks ago when I made my last post I was more optimistic. But now after 3 months, twice as long as the typical first FW update, it's safe to say that DJI has probably already orphaned the FPV drone too. If there ever is a firmware update, I just hope it fixes some of the really bad issues.

Otherwise, I think we should just enjoy it as-is, and get spares of everything until it's discontinued.

My guess is DJI is going back to their bread and butter of regular camera drones. The Mavic 3/Pro 3 is supposedly coming out sometime this year, and they have the Air 2S to maintain and upgrade.  So I think they're going to quietly let the FPV drone die out.

I still fly mine, because it;s a really good "sight seeing" machine. The range and penetration, highest quality FPV video you can buy, and the adjustable camera angle, all make it great for just flying around and seeing the sights.
2021-5-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

luciens Posted at 5-29 05:44
Two weeks ago when I made my last post I was more optimistic. But now after 3 months, twice as long as the typical first FW update, it's safe to say that DJI has probably already orphaned the FPV drone too. If there ever is a firmware update, I just hope it fixes some of the really bad issues.

Otherwise, I think we should just enjoy it as-is, and get spares of everything until it's discontinued.

2021-5-29
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1775299 ft
United States

I disagree, this drone has manual mode which allows for so much more to go wrong in updates and in hands of users. They have to dial in and test the updates to make sure that NOTHING is sacrificed as far as the control of the craft in M mode, this could take some very tedious research and development.

Im gussing we will see an update this summer, which will fix some minor bugs and possibly include some unlocks or updates to the camera and or GUI.

2021-5-31
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Italy

Whoreable Posted at 5-31 20:26
I disagree, this drone has manual mode which allows for so much more to go wrong in updates and in hands of users. They have to dial in and test the updates to make sure that NOTHING is sacrificed as far as the control of the craft in M mode, this could take some very tedious research and development.

Im gussing we will see an update this summer, which will fix some minor bugs and possibly include some unlocks or updates to the camera and or GUI.

Hello !!

May I ask if you have tried flying in M mode with this drone?

What experience do you have in FPV acro flight? To say the PIDs are good in this M-mode drone is a false thing ....

I really like this drone but it doesn't fly as it should in M mode ... and you just need a little experience in acro flight to understand this.

Of course they have to evaluate well and try a possible tuning of the PIDs but after three months still not having any update on this is very serious for me.

Greetings
2021-5-31
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ian over on Mad's Tech just posted about a coming fix for the low-voltage-bricks-goggles issue, and the suggestion is that the FW update will serve the FPV drone side of things. He says in a couple weeks, maybe even as early as this week. So maybe there will actually a FW update after all. Sadly no updates on the FPV digital system/Air Unit/etc side of things. But sounds like updates for the FPV drone side:

2021-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules