4344 4 2015-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just heard that ESRI is hard at work utilizing the DJI SDK to  develop some flight automation (I.e flight planning & waypoints) for the Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 series along with adding image processing tools within ArcGIS that will streamline the data development and dissemination of the outputs (pointclouds, orthomosaics etc) via the web.  More official news to come during the opening Plenary at the UC in San Diego on Monday.  Unofficially also heard that they hope to have it ready for users by end of year....  The folks I spoke with also mentioned working on generating  MISB compliant telemetry metadata that will allow use of video feed for full motion video within ArcGIS, allowing geospatial feature extraction.... this is going to be Exciting...
2015-7-18
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

So that would make the 3rd (4th?) external party working on autonomous Nav and Waypoints for the Inspire.
This has been the case for months, yet we haven't seen squat apart from rumour and speculation.

As with all the others I hope they are successful and the product, once released is everything they promise.

2015-7-19
Use props
Hooks
lvl.3
Flight distance : 226450 ft
Canada

This is exciting, I cannot wait to get some automation for mapping with the Inspire.  I think MapsMadeEasy is pretty close to getting their beta released, their site says they are awaiting approval from apple but they keep getting denied due to DJI not having them added to their MFi plan... Hopefully this gets sorted out soon. Reference

All the players in the GS app development that I know of are:

MapsMadeEasy
Pix4d
DroneDeploy
DJI? (sometimes yes sometimes no...)
AutoFlight Logic? (potentially going to add mapping function, can't remember where I read this)
and now ESRI

If anyone knows of anymore please add them

2015-7-19
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

ESRI would probably make a great product for super technical users. Exciting stuff.

No 3rd party apps are going to be released by anyone until DJI gets their MFi licensing situation ironed out. We suspected this was going to be a possibility as soon as they released the SDK since (at least initially) use of the USB interface over the Lightning port on "made for Apple" accessories to transmit video was forbidden. Apple allowing DJI to do so for the Pilot app is already a big win for DJI (especially after their Enterprise release shenanigans). Opening that capability up to 3rd party developers is a totally separate battle that doesn't seem to have an end in site.

DJI has released unauthorized apps (link) and built a capability that requires an Apple exception into millions of devices. They even used media statements to publicly shame Apple (link). On the other hand, Apple can't seem like it can be bullied into making after-the-fact exceptions or their whole system of controls quickly goes out the window. This is a good old fashioned culture clash that has all 3rd parties waiting to see what happens.

We have stopped all iOS testing and development until it is resolved.

Update 7/21/2015: DJI says that Apple has approved their MFi application with the addition of 3rd part developers. Apple will likely start approving apps in the next couple of days.
2015-7-20
Use props
GeoTrapper
lvl.1

United States

Right now Remote GeoSystems offers 2 COTS software options for using DJI Video with SRT files in Esri ArcMap and Esri datasets. This is what is referred to as "geospatial video" versus "FMV" so you actually get the entire flight track on the map with the ability to click on the map to cue up the video and see current location: Esri Stand-alone - http://www.remotegeo.com/linevision-esri-arcmap-add-in.html & Esri Add-In http://www.remotegeo.com/linevision-esri-arcgis.html. It also has other photo and document data fusion and project reporting capability with geoProjects.
2016-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules