FPV gimbal not horizontal
2856 14 2021-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jdrone000
lvl.1
United States

I am having a gimbal issue with my FPV drone https://www.dji.com/dji-fpv.  The gimbal is not horizonal.  It’s tiled at an angel while hovering still or sitting on the ground.

All the latest firmware is installed.  I have calibrated the gimbal in the goggles, and calibrated the drone using DJI Assistant 2 (DJI FPV series) V2.1.1.  

Nothing is working.  See attached pictures.  Two of them are taken while hovering, and one is taken against a perfectly horizontal wall.

I have not crashed the drone, and have only flown it about 5 times since I purchased it.

Any advice on how to fix this?

hover2

hover2

hover1

hover1

wall

wall
2021-5-14
Use props
Buster1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 677028 ft
United States

This is normal and due to wind. The gimbal is only a single axis gimbal (up/down).
2021-5-14
Use props
BstShot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40207 ft
  • >>>
United States

bro I had the same issue. I almost bought another drone to test it out. but I have heard it is common. Besides, this drone is not meant for taking perfect pics and videos. It's made for doing more acrobatic, exciting flights. Once you start that, you won't care about the tilted horizon.
If you want it to be perfect, get yourself a Air 2S. Then you won't have those issues. I have both, so I know what I'm talking about.
2021-5-14
Use props
Miguel Leitao
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977067 ft
Portugal

You can try to do a manual calibration of the gimbal and compensate for that tilt....
2021-5-14
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Were you flying when you took the photo of the wall?

As others have mentioned, the drone won't be level in the wind. The camera should at least start out level on the ground.
2021-5-14
Use props
jdrone000
lvl.1
United States

Thanks BstShot, good point.  I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with it before its too late.

Duane the picture of the wall is sitting on a perfectly flat surface, evenly spaced from the wall.
2021-5-14
Use props
FlyingSnoopy
lvl.4

Greece

I think you have lens correction off, thats why it looks like that.
The picture from the wall, is it the full image, or cropped showing the side?
2021-5-14
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

jdrone000 Posted at 5-14 13:21
Thanks BstShot, good point.  I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with it before its too late.

Duane the picture of the wall is sitting on a perfectly flat surface, evenly spaced from the wall.

"Duane the picture of the wall is sitting on a perfectly flat surface, evenly spaced from the wall."

That's not good.

Does the camera gimbal look level?

The gimbal is mounted on multiple rubber fasteners. I think it's possible for one or more of the mounts to be pulled in a way to make the camera tilted.

If one of the rubber fasteners is twisted, it would pull that corner of the gimbal out of alignment with the rest of the gimbal.

I'd inspect these mounts and make sure they're all positioned the same.

I was just looking at my camera to see if it was level with its frame and saw it was slightly misaligned. Twisting the gimbal on the rubber mountings made it level again. You might be able to twist your camera back into the proper position.
2021-5-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jdrone000. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to calibrate the gimbal and the camera of your DJI FPV  for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Kindly please power on the said DJI Drone, goggles and remote controller and make sure all of the devices are linked. Then connect the USB-C port of the goggles to the mobile device, run DJI fly and follow the on-screen instructions to download the camera calibration file to the aircraft. Just a reminder that an internet connection is required for downloading. Thank you.
2021-5-14
Use props
jdrone000
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Duane.  I saw the rubber mounts, but didn't want to mess with it.  Ill look at that more closely.

Thanks DJI Stephen.  Once in the DJI Fly app, how do I navigate to get to the camera calibration file download?
2021-5-15
Use props
jdrone000
lvl.1
United States

After opening a ticket with support, they recommended I send it in for repair.
2021-5-17
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

jdrone000 Posted at 5-17 03:05
After opening a ticket with support, they recommended I send it in for repair.

I was curious how much the rubber mounts could affect the camera angle so I took a couple photos after twisting the camera to one side then the other.

I should have chosen a better background but I think even in these photos, you can see how the camera tilts one way in the first photo and then the other in the second photo.
DjiLevelA.jpg DjiLevelB.jpg

I personally suggest trying to twist the camera one way or the other before sending the drone in to be repaired.
2021-5-17
Use props
jdrone000
lvl.1
United States

I did try that.

I already sent it in.  The diagnostics "the Pitch Axis Arm was malfunctioned, which caused gimbal stability related issue"

I would have it back in a week or so. Hopefully fixed.
2021-5-25
Use props
jdrone000
lvl.1
United States

I got it back. The issue is resolved. Thank you for all the help
2021-6-2
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States