Max Video File Size Or Length Limitations?
7713 11 2021-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422549 ft
United States

So I wanted to experiment with editing some timelapse video (not using the hyper-lapse mode) by just putting the A2S in a hover for 10 minutes and recording some 4K video.  I then planned to work with that footage in Premiere Pro to produce some timelapse video according to my own specs.  When I transferred the video from the A2S memory card to my computer I found that the 10-minute video had been cut into 3 separate files instead of a single file.  They were cut up as follows:
Video 1: 4min, 51sec - 3.76GB
Video 2: 4min, 51sec - 3.76GB
Video 3: 20 sec - 257.4MB

My first thought is this must have something to do with FAT32 file formatting.  If this is the case, then the A2S must be formatting the memory card using FAT32 and I see no way of changing how the A2S formats the card.  So my question is: If my assumption regarding the A2S formatting the card using FAT32 is correct, is there a way to change how it formats the memory card?  Or is my assumption incorrect and this has nothing to do with FAT32?  Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated!
2021-5-14
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

The maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB (or 3.76GB). So a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided.

How is the timelapse looking? I'd also like to shoot some long steady clips and then simply speed up the footage. I just haven't come across the cool cloud formations yet. I'm not crazy about the herky jerky look of some hyperlapse videos, so doing it the other way would look much smoother.
2021-5-14
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

You can not change the formatting, DJI has said that they do the 4GB limit to minimize corrupted files. Just drop the files on the time line in the correct order, and it will work fine.
2021-5-14
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 5-14 12:53
The maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB (or 3.76GB). So a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided.

How is the timelapse looking? I'd also like to shoot some long steady clips and then simply speed up the footage. I just haven't come across the cool cloud formations yet. I'm not crazy about the herky jerky look of some hyperlapse videos, so doing it the other way would look much smoother.

It actually came out pretty good.  Not sure what editing software you use but I found 2 separate YouTube videos demonstrating how to do it in Premiere Pro.  The first one shows you how to create a timelapse video from your footage and the second shows you how to stabilize it.  If you use Premiere Pro and want to create timelapse videos I highly suggest these two YouTube videos as I found them very helpful:

2021-5-14
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 5-14 13:26
It actually came out pretty good.  Not sure what editing software you use but I found 2 separate YouTube videos demonstrating how to do it in Premiere Pro.  The first one shows you how to create a timelapse video from your footage and the second shows you how to stabilize it.  If you use Premiere Pro and want to create timelapse videos I highly suggest these two YouTube videos as I found them very helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInU4vI0ho4&list=PLoGqRKarVKV_oDu1evKinHP-wzTnsfGER&index=2

Thanks for the links. Premiere Pro is what I'm now editing on, after years of using Vegas.
2021-5-14
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

videoeditman Posted at 5-14 12:57
You can not change the formatting, DJI has said that they do the 4GB limit to minimize corrupted files. Just drop the files on the time line in the correct order, and it will work fine.

Yeah, I know but I thought if it was possible to change the formatting from FAT32 that it would make file management a bit easier.  In this case, it was just 3 clips but I can see situations where you could end up with a pile of files, it would just make things easier with fewer files.  In reality, I suppose it's not that big of a deal.  
2021-5-14
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 5-14 13:30
Thanks for the links. Premiere Pro is what I'm now editing on, after years of using Vegas.

No problem, glad you could use them.
2021-5-14
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
United States

Chuck Campfield Posted at 5-14 13:32
Yeah, I know but I thought if it was possible to change the formatting from FAT32 that it would make file management a bit easier.  In this case, it was just 3 clips but I can see situations where you could end up with a pile of files, it would just make things easier with fewer files.  In reality, I suppose it's not that big of a deal.

It's probably better, in that a problem with battery power or a crash won't ruin a longer file.
2021-5-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Chuck Campfield Posted at 5-14 13:32

You can record for longer times if you reduce the video resolution from 4K.
2021-5-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Chuck Campfield. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you.
2021-5-14
Use props
Chuck Campfield
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-14 20:33
Hello there Chuck Campfield. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. The maximum capacity of a single file will not exceed 4GB. If exceeded, the recording will be stopped, and a new recording will be started. In addition, the maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Although exFAT allows a larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage of the camera is 4GB regardless of the file systems. So it is normal the video will be split if it reaches 4GB. Thank you.

Thanks Stephen.
2021-5-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying. .
2021-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules