Crash screwed up battery connector
743 8 2021-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_TAVu2YeedM4p
lvl.1
Flight distance : 216086 ft
United States

Hi folks, I had a pretty nasty crash on concrete directly on the back, resulting in damage of battery's power cable like - see:
Drone powers up, motors do the initial spin etc but I see a message "Battery not properly installed. Unable to fly". I guess that connector is not making a good connection altho it sits well and is not wiggly. Is there a way to get this cable only and replace it? I think the battery is fine otherwise, it would be such a waste ...

Thanks!

2021-5-14
Use props
FrootWhoopz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253832 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would be super careful with that as it is Lithium Polymer and very volatile when damaged, from an impact like that it is possible to have dented one of the cells or perhaps a short waiting to happen where the cable is. Personally I wouldn't even keep that in my bag/house, maybe put it in a lipo box/bag until you decide what to do. Sorry if you are already aware of all of this but I thought I would mention it just in case.
2021-5-14
Use props
djiuser_TAVu2YeedM4p
lvl.1
United States

FrootWhoopz Posted at 5-14 16:13
I would be super careful with that as it is Lithium Polymer and very volatile when damaged, from an impact like that it is possible to have dented one of the cells or perhaps a short waiting to happen where the cable is. Personally I wouldn't even keep that in my bag/house, maybe put it in a lipo box/bag until you decide what to do. Sorry if you are already aware of all of this but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Thank you for the reminder! Do you know if there is a way to test the health of the battery? Seemed that juice is there (I haven't tried charging it yet though) and it was just the connection. But it did hit and tumble after getting detached from the drone.
2021-5-14
Use props
cootertwo
lvl.4
United States

It could be one of the 3 little pins, that send battery info to the drone
2021-5-14
Use props
djiuser_TAVu2YeedM4p
lvl.1
United States

cootertwo Posted at 5-14 16:40
It could be one of the 3 little pins, that send battery info to the drone

it's likely that since it powers on and shows battery charge info.. the thing is, I can't seem to find if there is a way to replace just this cable. i have two more batteries but would feel bad to throw away the good battery because of the cable :/
2021-5-14
Use props
Duane Degn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

cootertwo Posted at 5-14 16:40
It could be one of the 3 little pins, that send battery info to the drone

"It could be one of the 3 little pins, that send battery info to the drone"

Agreed.

There are two lines for the CAN Bus and a second ground pin.

I have a thread titled "Inside The Battery". Where I show some of the battery's internals.

The CAN Bus has to communicate with the battery in order for the drone to power on.

I doubt you would, but don't throw away the pack. It can likely be savaged using a connector from another pack. These packs will eventually wear out over time and use. In the future there should be connectors which can be salvaged from the dead packs which can then be used to repair your damaged pack.
2021-5-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out.  Since there was a crash that happened before on your DJI FPV and now you are having this issue on the said DJI drone. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to check the said DJI drone and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for this trouble and thank you.
2021-5-14
Use props
FrootWhoopz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253832 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"I have a thread titled "Inside The Battery". Where I show some of the battery's internals."

Good idea by Duane,Open it up and check for any visible signs of damage just in case then keep it on the side and wait until you find the part, maybe someone will sell them on ebay quikcer than DJI
2021-5-15
Use props
djiuser_TAVu2YeedM4p
lvl.1
United States

Thank you folks for the links and suggestions. I will take it apart to verify cells are OK and stash it for future.  I may even see with Dji if they can offer something, as Stephen suggested.
2021-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules