Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air 2 possible fried main board
3791 7 2021-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

Yes folks, I managed to break my Mavic Air 2 after not even a week of ownership .
Sold 2 Mavic mini's to buy this one, used, and it was awesome (for the time it was working).
Now since it's used and didn't have Care Refresh I had to do the video etc showing pre-flight check and working gimbal to send to DJI. This to apply for the Care Refresh package.
Well I managed to crash the drone, right before doing the video, (one meter off the ground) with a splash of water to the gimbal and everything behind it (not submerged).
It did take a hit to the gimbal but the gimbal itself seems to be OK (no visual damage, doesn't feel like it's binding). I couldn't get to it fast enough to shut it off after the fall so I think the main board got fried. After the fall I took it apart to see if the ribbon cable was damaged internally (I flew it before that but the gimbal was behaving erratic and was shaking "gimbal overload error" plus the drone didn't want to go sideways, only front and back.) N mode was also slower than C mode. In C and S mode it was able to go all directions but N mode it was very slow and didn't want to go left and right. When I took it apart I noticed kind of "oxidation" (maybe burned) where the camera ribbon attaches to the board, not the smaller one but the larger one. There IS video feed but no gimbal movement. I think I will have to get another board somewhere.

Gimbal.jpg
2021-5-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there doglaboi. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air 2. Since this unfortunate event happened. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to to check the said DJI drone and give out the best resolution for this issue.  Just a friendly reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said issue to avoid further damaging the said unit and not to void the warranty of the said DJI drone. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you.
2021-5-16
Use props
dreamergr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047251 ft
Greece

That's a bummer, If you had Care there should be all good for replacement.
But now you can contact locally places that sells Drones and get it repaired.

I DONT RECOMEND THAT but...
My last phone dropped in sea water and got all kinds of corrosion. I fixed it by rubbing  isopropyl alcohol with a soft toothbrush for 2-3 days and rice.
again I DONT RECOMEND THAT
2021-5-16
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-16 19:40
Hello there doglaboi. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Air 2. Since this unfortunate event happened. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to to check the said DJI drone and give out the best resolution for this issue.  Just a friendly reminder that  DJI do not recommend doing a DIY in fixing the said issue to avoid further damaging the said unit and not to void the warranty of the said DJI drone. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you.

I bought it used from someone who already had it since last year so don't think it will have any warranty. And of course if I let DJI fix it it will cost me almost as much as another drone. I'm no noob with electronics and I'm used to diy so my best option would be do fix it myself since sending it out to DJI and have it repaired will cost me a whole lot. Just sending it out from my country is already an expensive task.
2021-5-17
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

dreamergr Posted at 5-16 23:02
That's a bummer, If you had Care there should be all good for replacement.
But now you can contact locally places that sells Drones and get it repaired.

It wasn't submerged but I think some drops splashed through the vent behind the gimbal onto the board. Don't think rice will help. I did clean the contacts with alcohol but still didn't do any good. Drone flies, there is video, but gimbal doesn't move and drone can't go sideways in N mode.
2021-5-17
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

When it crashed the gimbal got a hit and got tangled on some wire and was stuck in one position for a few seconds (15-20secs maybe) before I could turn it off and release it. I did see gimbal overload on screen at that time. After that it was shaking badly and I lost gimbal control. Opened it, cleaned it, and flew good for maybe a minute then gimbal stopped working and the drone started doing the awkward flight (slower in N than in C and won't go left and right in N). Could the gimbal overload have fried the board too? I just removed the gimbal and flew without gimbal. Same flight response, no left and right in N mode.
2021-5-17
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-16 19:40

On second thought, I see the prices these core boards go for, and it will be a gamble too. DJI lists these board in the repair section for $199. With their $65 fee it might still be the best option considering they will also need to program it. I can ship them the drone from the country where I currently am, but who can I contact to make arrangements? Via the online submittal only gives me a CAS number and a return shipping label (useless where I am).

update:
I dug into the settings more and I had "disable sideways flight" checked (facepalm). That explains the flight issue. So it might not be the board after all but the gimbal....

2021-5-18
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4

Suriname

doglaboi Posted at 5-18 02:30
On second thought, I see the prices these core boards go for, and it will be a gamble too. DJI lists these board in the repair section for $199. With their $65 fee it might still be the best option considering they will also need to program it. I can ship them the drone from the country where I currently am, but who can I contact to make arrangements? Via the online submittal only gives me a CAS number and a return shipping label (useless where I am).

update:

It turned out to be the gimbal ribbon cable.
Fixed now, all is well. My take from this is, all the crashes that we have which involves the gimbal are most of the time an easy fix. Just swapping out a $20 gimbal cable. Even if it's a structural damage like one of the feet with the rubber absorbers broke, it can be fixed with super strong super glue if done properly instead of paying around $300 for DJI to fix it.....
This is my second DJI I fixed just by swapping out a gimbal ribbon cable. First on a Mini and now on a MA2.
2021-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules