Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Magic Light Media
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3226542 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,

I'm not sure why my I2 and x5s setup is wobbly. I've tried this with other lenses, and the footage is wobbly. There is a slight wobbly roll. Does anyone else have this experience? And were you able to solve the issue.

2021-5-16
Use props
Joecos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3294770 ft
United States

That is a significant shake and not even 'slight'.  If you tried different supported (Olympus & stock) lenses with the same result, then the problem is the gimbal.
Also, the Laowa 7.5 is not supported by DJI, so likely you will not get a response from DJI support.

Consider checking:  
- gimbal connection to drone - is it tight where the locking arrows are aligned?
- are the gimbal connectors clean and free of debris?
- did you calibrate the lens?
- are the lens/gimbal balanced with recommended balancing rings?

I would start troubleshooting with a DJI supported lens.  If you still get the shakes, then definitely its a gimbal issue and possibly a loose or faulty connection on the mainboard.  
2021-5-17
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This shaky video is a result of malfunctioning vibration dampening system or heavily unbalanced gimbal. It has nothing to to with contacts, lens calibrating or whatever else. Make sure the camera is bouncing freely on silicone vibration dampers, replace these with new if necessary. Very short exposures may also contribute to such shakiness, employ ND filtering to reach 1/60 shutter speed.
2021-5-18
Use props
Magic Light Media
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Joecos Posted at 5-17 09:29
That is a significant shake and not even 'slight'.  If you tried different supported (Olympus & stock) lenses with the same result, then the problem is the gimbal.
Also, the Laowa 7.5 is not supported by DJI, so likely you will not get a response from DJI support.

Thanks for your opinion.

- Yes, gimbal is tight.
- yes, free of debris
- yes, I callibrate the lens
- yes, the lens is balance
- this happens with wind or no wind

I just changed the damper and will test out the Olympus 25mm which is a lens supported by DJI. I will test it out tomorrow to see if it still shakes.

I notice when I put an ND filter, it will cause the Olympus lens to be front heavy and will therefore need a counterweight on the rear of the camera to keep the lens balance.

Adding the weight usually causes the rubber dampers to stretch and get worn out quicker. Do you find that to be the case in your setup?
2021-5-18
Use props
Magic Light Media
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 5-18 13:27
This shaky video is a result of malfunctioning vibration dampening system or heavily unbalanced gimbal. It has nothing to to with contacts, lens calibrating or whatever else. Make sure the camera is bouncing freely on silicone vibration dampers, replace these with new if necessary. Very short exposures may also contribute to such shakiness, employ ND filtering to reach 1/60 shutter speed.

I just replace the dampers, except these get worn out so quickly when using the heavier lenses and counterweight systems. Do you find that in your case?

I'm okay with the video, shutter speed, frame rate, and nd filters. I'm been shooting video and film for awhile so that is second nature to me. There is no stutter in the images, which is caused by fast shutter speed. My only concern is the rolling wobble.

Will test it out tomorrow and see if the damper is the cause.
2021-5-18
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Magic Light Media Posted at 5-18 18:43
I just replace the dampers, except these get worn out so quickly when using the heavier lenses and counterweight systems. Do you find that in your case?

I'm okay with the video, shutter speed, frame rate, and nd filters. I'm been shooting video and film for awhile so that is second nature to me. There is no stutter in the images, which is caused by fast shutter speed. My only concern is the rolling wobble.

X5S gimbal is very tolerant with slightly unbalanced setups, but filming during rapid vertical descent (as seen on your sample) creates unfortunate scenario where no gimbal will behave nicely. What's happening is that the drone is entering its own downwash, which is extremely turbulent. That's the only explanation I can come up with. The annoyance should not be noticeable on video recorded during flights or ascents.
2021-5-18
Use props
Jun Tang Photography
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I finally had a chance to go do some more tests with inspire 2. Since I'm nearby a school, I had to wait until this weekend when the school was closed.

First I test with a DJI-approved Olympus 25mm lens, and as you see in the video - looks Good.

Then I installed the Loawa 7.5mm lens and recalibrate the lens. As you see in the video, there is a wobble in the video. I've seen other videos with Inspire 2, Xenmuse x5s with Loawa 7.5mm that doesn't wobble. I'm wondering if any of you have run into that issue and if you had the opportunity to solve this issue?

2021-5-23
Use props
Joecos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3294770 ft
United States

Jun Tang Photography Posted at 5-23 13:03
I finally had a chance to go do some more tests with inspire 2. Since I'm nearby a school, I had to wait until this weekend when the school was closed.

First I test with a DJI-approved Olympus 25mm lens, and as you see in the video - looks Good.

Its good to see that you did further testing.  After your test, it looks like your gimbal is fine.  The rubber dampers are fine.

Its just a matter of finding the right balance with the Laowa lens.  Experiment with various filter size/weight and see if that helps.  I've seen pilots modify their X5s rear cap (the black cap behind the camera) and added weights.  DJI sells an end cap for balancing, but im not sure if that is meant for the Laowa lens. Weight distribution can be out of balance.
Do more research on Youtube and maybe someone here can chime in.

More info on the rear cap and balance ring below....
https://store.dji.com/product/ze ... cing-ring?vid=21721

End Cap and Balance Ring

2021-5-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Jun Tang Photography Posted at 5-23 13:03

Firstly, I've been watching your 2nd sample video twice and - to be honest - I don't see what you see. But, that's maybe my problem ... Secondly, what do you mean by Laowa lens calibration? These (correct me if I'm wrong, please) are fully manual lenses, there's nothing to calibrate because lens will not autofocus and can not be remotely controlled either ... Thirdly, how do you actually balance this lens, please elaborate. I'm just staring at my Laowa 9mm, which requires custom counterweight at the back of camera. For 7.5mm lens it may be different scenario, I don't know. Are you using lens sun shade ring? This is a big NO in aerial imagery.
2021-5-25
Use props
brennan61
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1514462 ft
Canada

Did you ever figure this out? I too am experiencing the exact same problem with my Laowa 7.5mm lens. It started happening out of nowhere. I've used the 7.5mm lens for several years now with no problem, and then this wobble issue just started.
2022-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules