Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alien433
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23054 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hello Dji,

Its months ago without any firmware update of the pocket 2. When will there be a new update? And is there already something about using 2 wireless mics from dji?
2021-5-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Alien433. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. As of the moment, we do not have any information with DJI's future updates for the DJI Pocket 2 and with regards to this matter. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.
2021-5-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

In other threads I think their development people said an update is in final testing.  Here's hoping!
2021-5-17
Use props
Hannes Dietrich
lvl.4

Germany

I hope it‘s a big update. There are so much Problems with Pocket 2 at the moment.
2021-5-18
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

I agree.
Pocket 2 has a lot of potential not expressed by the current firmware.
With a few tweaks it could easily surpass Osmo Pocket 1.
2021-5-18
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Probably a p3 in the wings to fix the under powered cpu.  Its dji new modus operandi.
2021-5-19
Use props
Alien433
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Blellow Posted at 5-19 06:33
Probably a p3 in the wings to fix the under powered cpu.  Its dji new modus operandi.

Its about pocket 2 not the mavic
2021-5-19
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, but in general, electronic companies in post-covid have resorted to skimping on all sorts of vital parts that run a system in higher percentages than ever before!  Read about the PS5 3 fan blade fiacsco or the Pocket 2 tracking problems, they all have the same common thread.
2021-5-24
Use props
Nathan.L
lvl.2

Canada

It's June now, still no update. I just want a better video codec, at least higher bitrate to solve the video artifacts issue.
2021-6-3
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Summer holidays are coming. Did DJI already abandoned developing Pocket 2? They noticed they can't do anything to make tracking to work? CPU under powered?

"Painting devils on the walls"
2021-6-3
Use props
Dcapo1989
lvl.1
United States

Nathan.L Posted at 6-3 08:17
It's June now, still no update. I just want a better video codec, at least higher bitrate to solve the video artifacts issue.

Agreed. I made a post about the video artifacts and flickering earlier today and all I get is crickets. It would be one thing if they actually were discussing fixing the issues, but they don't seem to be acknowledging that this is a problem. Very much considering selling the Osmo and looking into an Insta360 One R. The stabilization may not be as solid as a gimbal, but at least the quality of the video will actually look decent..
2021-6-3
Use props
DHW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1063596 ft
Australia

100% agree. I've checked this forum almost on a daily basis for news on a new firmware for Pocket 2.

Firstly, I'd sold my original Osmo Pocket to part fund the purchase of the Pocket 2. Huge disappointment with the Pocket 2 latest firmware. So, I went and bought a 2nd hand Osmo Pocket, and had been using it with confidence. It just works and great/stable/predictable video quality.

I'd also sent my Pocket 2 back to DJI for repair due to lose gimble. It came back with a refurbished unit. The entire repair experience with DJI was fantastic I must say. Good communications and fast repair. Since receiving the refurbished Pocket 2, I have activated but didn't upgrade the firmware. Feels to me, the original firmware was better.

Nonetheless, still checking daily for any signs of a new Pocket 2 firmware update. Why DJI goes it take so long?
2021-6-3
Use props
Alien433
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes this time it takrs very long. And still no answer on 2 mics on the pocket. Its getting very anoying
2021-6-3
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

DHW Posted at 6-3 14:38
100% agree. I've checked this forum almost on a daily basis for news on a new firmware for Pocket 2.

Firstly, I'd sold my original Osmo Pocket to part fund the purchase of the Pocket 2. Huge disappointment with the Pocket 2 latest firmware. So, I went and bought a 2nd hand Osmo Pocket, and had been using it with confidence. It just works and great/stable/predictable video quality.

Me too, I prefer using the Osmo Pocket instead of the Pocket 2.
Again, I also check on a daily basis this forum, hoping for a new firmware for Pocket 2.
2021-6-4
Use props
DHW
lvl.4
Australia

Can't believe DJI keeps pumping out new products. Now DJI Mini SE drone. Further languishing Pocket 2 problems fixes in the back of the queue. Poor strategy.

I wonder whether we will see any fixes at all or they come out with a Pocket 3 instead. Even poorer strategy.
2021-6-4
Use props
alexmbraMav
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

Learned my lesson. Never buy DJI products again.
2021-6-4
Use props
Coris
lvl.2
Sweden

In my opinion, DJI have already reached the limits of the hardware in Pocket 2. They used a new and better camera, which it demand lot more CPU processing power, than the one in Pocket 1. The CPU in Pocket 2 it seems the same as the one in previous model. The power source as well. The device body available space the same too. Therefore lot of firmware problems and a not well functioning device in all of the details, as is expected/intended. So, working further on firmware to correct the more and more issues it seems hopeless.
DJI stuff have not appreciated very well and in depth the consequences of installing a new better quality camera on the same Pocket 1 processing hardware. The new product (Pocket 2) was throwed fast out on marked, with unfinished software, and a not well fitting hardware. The consumers was mislead to think they will buy a new and improved product. Well, only the camera it was new and better, but the old CPU inside it is enough obvious, not capable to sustain all the requirements of the new camera... Firmware improvements it come fast up to its limits... This is not bad strategy. This is bad engineering, and bad judgement, on customers expenses... All this it alter the DJI reputation.
It seems to me that a new Pocket (3) it may be imminent, where an full/complete upgraded hardware it should be the solution. Is DJI able to such? It will works as it should the new Pocket version?
What about keeping the good actual camera, or use another even better, with a stronger CPU inside, a bigger and metal body (for the same gimbal/camera combo), for a better heat exchange/cooling, a stronger battery, eventual replaceable? There is not a must that the whole device it should be as small as possible. It is much better heaving it full functional, without too many glitches, with a high selling rate on markets... And most important of all, for the full satisfaction of the customers.
This DJI gimbal camera concept is good, The implementation it suffer, because low quality engineering, and wrong common sense appreciations.
2021-6-4
Use props
Artur81
lvl.2
Hungary

The most important of Pocket 2 is the very low bitrate for 4K recording modes.

Their HW encoder can probably support much higher bitrates too. They could make a menu option for 100Mbit / 120Mbit and 150mbit for 4K recordings.
2021-6-5
Use props
DHW
lvl.4
Australia

Coris Posted at 6-4 23:58
In my opinion, DJI have already reached the limits of the hardware in Pocket 2. They used a new and better camera, which it demand lot more CPU processing power, than the one in Pocket 1. The CPU in Pocket 2 it seems the same as the one in previous model. The power source as well. The device body available space the same too. Therefore lot of firmware problems and a not well functioning device in all of the details, as is expected/intended. So, working further on firmware to correct the more and more issues it seems hopeless.
DJI stuff have not appreciated very well and in depth the consequences of installing a new better quality camera on the same Pocket 1 processing hardware. The new product (Pocket 2) was throwed fast out on marked, with unfinished software, and a not well fitting hardware. The consumers was mislead to think they will buy a new and improved product. Well, only the camera it was new and better, but the old CPU inside it is enough obvious, not capable to sustain all the requirements of the new camera... Firmware improvements it come fast up to its limits... This is not bad strategy. This is bad engineering, and bad judgement, on customers expenses... All this it alter the DJI reputation.
It seems to me that a new Pocket (3) it may be imminent, where an full/complete upgraded hardware it should be the solution. Is DJI able to such? It will works as it should the new Pocket version?

That was what I am afraid of. If it becomes a hardware issue, we'll have bought into a dud, pretty costly one.
2021-6-5
Use props
kfh
lvl.2
Denmark

I agree, that bitrate options should allow for better values.

On my iPhone 12 Pro I get up to around 135 megabit/sec (h265!!! - akin to 250 megabit/sec in h264) and I'm allowed to select 48kHz/PCM stereo in the FiLMiC Pro App (which also have a lot of other goodies at hand). I've used it for many years (Android manufacturers seem to actively criple the options accessible to third party apps - not so Apple), and with my preferred mode - UHD, 25 fps, Dolby Vision HDR best sound - I get really good color too. Where I can restrict myself to 1080p, I get a very good image quality in up to 240 fps. A small handle/tripod used as such, and the Shure MV88++ MS microphone system delivers sound - directly - as digital stero in 48kHz PCM; if I choose to record the 'RAW' M-S format, I can even adjust the width of the "stereo perspective" within a broad range, AFTER the recording took place (in FCPX, DaVinci Resolve, Premiere etc.).

On top of that, I get the wonderfull Apple ProRAW DNG files for still images - although only 12 megapixel, what pixels! It easily beats DJI Pocket 2's 64 megapixel or 16 megapixel DNG's - especially in low light, where Apples ProRAW (open to all) format allows far wider range of adjustments, as well as delivering far less. 'effective noise' in really low light.

The iPhone 12 Pro is no gimbal, but... it's not far behind in many if not most real life situations. I always have the iPhone at hand, which is not the case with the DJI Pocket 2 with universal handle and accessories.

From a pure image/video quality perspective, DJI Pocket 2 is no longer a viable contender in all the situations, where a true gimbal is not the only option. In post in FCPX, I can stabilize a lot of stutter, shake and whatnot in next to no time (my Mac with M1 chip makes it near realtime or faster to do a lot of "video-massage", that previously was very tedious - whether DJI (Osmo) Pocket (2) was involved or not.

Sad to say it, but the DJI Pocket 2 has barely been used for anything but test situations (hopefully that will change, now that travel is beginning to open up again between countries in Europe). But... my goto option will be iPhone 12 Pro, ProRAW DNG image files and FiLMiC Pro UHD, 25 fps, Dolby Vision HDR - with or without accesories.

I will NOT buy any upcoming successors to my DJI Osmo Pocket and DJI Pocket 2, unless DJI drastically increases both image quality AND capabilities. They will be relegated to working as "remotely controlled" cameras in gatherings and parties etc. Have several iPhones and Android, so can easily spare two for that purpose alone ;-)

Regards

2021-6-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Personally I remain more impressed with the Pocket 2 than depressed.   Yes, there are all sorts of things which could be better, but I still recall my amazement about the audio options which, out of the box, probably outdo just about any other video device.  Rotating surround audio.  Stereo mic input.  Included wireless mic.  You won't find any of that stuff on the Fimi Palm 2...  

As for PCM audio, yes, that would be a very welcome idea which I suggested early on.  But stereo width manipulation should be possible without any changes on DJI's side (though four channel recording would be nice...) - any stereo recording can be converted to a mid/side equivalent, manipulated for width in that format, and then converted back.  I have a VST audio plugin which does just that.  Dunno whether it would work with modern video editors but there must be an equivalent.  

For me the items needing obvious improvement are the face tracking, still not as good as the Pocket 1, and the HDR mode.  When it comes to it, I'd say the Fimi Palm 2 does a better job of both those features.
2021-6-6
Use props
Coris
lvl.2
Netherlands

Indeed, the important face tracking issues in Pocket 2 is a very good exemple of limited CPU processing power in this device. Face tracking it require a lot of processing power in real time, especially for an increased resolution and larger pixels number of the new camera in Pocket 2. The same is for bit rate limitation. The main processor in Pocket 2 it was not meant to face such processing power requirements,  the new and better camera it demand for properly functioning (and all the advertised features). Or, the CPU it may be capable for increased processing power, but then the battery may be empty very fast, and the heat generation it will trygger the thermal protections, and so the device may become unusable (before cooling down). DJI has made a compromise between the device overall capabilities, and an acceptable (in their conception) device functionality. The result is the numerous issues reported by so many customer, users insatisfaction, and the DJI impossibility to do more through firmware updates. This camera it need an ample renewed design, for both the hardware and the firmware. This it mean for sure a new product. Is DJI capable to invest in a complete new designed (well and full features working) device, when the reputation damage it was already done by throwing on markets this Pocket 2 ? Experiencing the Pocket 2 limited performances and many issues, the customers will become quite sceptical to buy an eventual Pocket 3. And then the DJI investment for a such eventual product it may be very risky, if the sales may not be that high, because customers decreased belief in such DJI products...
2021-6-6
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Last time when they stopped developing Pocket 1 took only 6-8 months and Pocket 2 came out.

Pocket 2 needs a lot of software improvements (I mentioned software engineering in other forum earlier) and not all of them are HW related. But Face tracking is one of the most important things and Pocket 1 handles it like a king. Pocket 2 face tracking actually does not exist at the moment. It is totally unusable. Another thing is what I don't understand that all Kingston Memory cards will eventually fail recording on Pocket 2. This started with latest firmware. Well this is not list of problems.

If Pocket 2 CPU is under powered DJI should come out and say honestly that they need to reduce functions to make device work.

I also don't understand why put so many different drone models to the market. Why not make 1-3 good devices and update before next model comes out. Still supporting last generations too.

I bet DJI will give one "we are doing something" firmware with two phrases: 1) Improved stability and 2) 8 more Story Modes directly in pocket 2.

This "mess" is actually sad because Pocket is very unique and wonderful beast but feels developed using left hand.
And they should get rid of activation. I know two who believed it is product that works out of the box like Sony Camcorders. But no it needs this and that and praying it will work.
2021-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules