Version 1.4.2 Phone Charging Option Missing With Update...
3181 18 2021-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SCoutts
First Officer
Flight distance : 1922434 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hey Guys,

I just updated DJI Fly to 1.4.2 and the "Phone Charging" option is gone. I also checked to see if my iOS device was being charged in case just the option had been removed, like on Android, but no dice, it doesn't charge either.

Does anyone have any details on this? Is it a bug or was the feature intentionally dropped? Also curious what Android users are seeing.

Thanks!

2021-5-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So pleased this is gone,  I never want to charge my phone from the controller and so often after an app update this setting gets reset.
2021-5-18
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

Yeah - DJI Support says it "automatically" charges. That's not correct at all. You can verify that you can't charge your phone or iPad while connected to the RC. So now, when you fly, you will drain your phone battery and have no option to charge it from the RC. Wonderful that DJI doesn't do the most basic quality control on their updates...
2021-5-19
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 5-18 23:41
So pleased this is gone,  I never want to charge my phone from the controller and so often after an app update this setting gets reset.

It isn’t a “must have” feature for me but I did use it on occasion. The fact that it wasn’t persistent was a bit of a pain.

If I recall correctly on again/off again phone charging was a thing back in the DJI Go 4 days too.

I am curious why DJI doesn’t just pick a lane and stay there. Cheers!
2021-5-19
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-19 07:29
Yeah - DJI Support says it "automatically" charges. That's not correct at all. You can verify that you can't charge your phone or iPad while connected to the RC. So now, when you fly, you will drain your phone battery and have no option to charge it from the RC. Wonderful that DJI doesn't do the most basic quality control on their updates...

This was the answer for the 1.4.2 update? Are you using an Android or iOS device?

It is definitely not charging my iPhone.
2021-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SCoutts Posted at 5-19 07:37
This was the answer for the 1.4.2 update? Are you using an Android or iOS device?

It is definitely not charging my iPhone.

It will auto charge Android as thats a requirement of their USB ports but when I fly iPhone yesterday it wasn't charging my iPhone 12 Pro Max.
2021-5-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, SCoutts. Thanks for reaching out! Turning off charging for iOS devices has been removed in the latest version of the DJI Fly and designed to charge iOS devices automatically by default.
2021-5-20
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-20 00:37
Hi, SCoutts. Thanks for reaching out! Turning off charging for iOS devices has been removed in the latest version of the DJI Fly and designed to charge iOS devices automatically by default.

It does NOT charge by default. Maybe it is supposed to but it doesn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZGVlkL4H1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MumDKNnOPEw
2021-5-20
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 23:26
It will auto charge Android as thats a requirement of their USB ports but when I fly iPhone yesterday it wasn't charging my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

It's not charging my iPhone 12 Pro or iPad either. I think they broke it. :-(
2021-5-20
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-20 06:43
It does NOT charge by default. Maybe it is supposed to but it doesn't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZGVlkL4H1w

Agreed. It's not charging any of my iOS devices. Broken.
2021-5-20
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-20 00:37

Thanks for the explanation but I have tried three iOS devices - iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone Mini and an iPad Pro and none of them charge automatically with the 1.4.2 update.

When I first plug them in or power up the remote, the charging symbol pops up briefly but then goes away. The devices do NOT charge.
2021-5-20
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-19 07:29
Yeah - DJI Support says it "automatically" charges. That's not correct at all. You can verify that you can't charge your phone or iPad while connected to the RC. So now, when you fly, you will drain your phone battery and have no option to charge it from the RC. Wonderful that DJI doesn't do the most basic quality control on their updates...

Yeah, I have noticed. I tried a iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and an iPad Pro and none will charge with the new update. The charging symbol appears briefly but disappears and the devices indeed do NOT charge.

Wee bit of a bug I would say.
2021-5-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

SCoutts Posted at 5-20 12:43
Thanks for the explanation but I have tried three iOS devices - iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone Mini and an iPad Pro and none of them charge automatically with the 1.4.2 update.

When I first plug them in or power up the remote, the charging symbol pops up briefly but then goes away. The devices do NOT charge.

Thanks for confirming and this has been forwarded already to our assigned department. Should there be any updates, we'll immediately let you know.
2021-5-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SCoutts Posted at 5-20 12:40
It's not charging my iPhone 12 Pro or iPad either. I think they broke it. :-(

Im pleased they dropped this feature.
2021-5-20
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-20 23:37
Im pleased they dropped this feature.

Because having an option to "select" and make the choice yourself was too difficult to deal with?
2021-5-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-21 05:06
Because having an option to "select" and make the choice yourself was too difficult to deal with?

No because after each update it would randomly get reset and you'd have to play with the toggle a bit to turn it off,  and thats of course if you remember to do it.
2021-5-21
Use props
Parker Wombat
lvl.2

United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-21 07:01
No because after each update it would randomly get reset and you'd have to play with the toggle a bit to turn it off,  and thats of course if you remember to do it.

Well, maybe instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water, they could have just fixed the option to begin with....
2021-5-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Parker Wombat Posted at 5-21 09:04
Well, maybe instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water, they could have just fixed the option to begin with....

I’d have no issue with that.  
2021-5-21
Use props
djiuser_vEsZkIAy1ksW
lvl.1

United States

This is very irresponsible in dji part. Not disclosing the deletion of remote phone charging option on dji fly app release note is a huge breach of trust. What else are they not disclosing when an update is release?
2022-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules