Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SCoutts
First Officer
Flight distance : 1922434 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hey Guys,

If you fly your drone while walking, hiking, biking, running or even fishing (in a boat) - any activity where you change locations during flight - you need to know how to update your home point. This simple action can save having to recover your drone or even worse.

In this video I share a story about a rookie mistake that almost cost me my Mini 2. I also share some tips so hopefully others can avoid the same mistake.

NOTE: About 5:44 the video I say that Find My Drone was not available because I could not establish a connection to the drone. This is not accurate. Find My Drone will have the last known location of the drone before it lost connection, which could be useful in narrowing down the search area. Sorry for the mistake, I was conflating an old, painful fly-away situation with my Spark.

Thanks for watching!

2021-5-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Steve. Good day and thank you for posting this interesting video you have filmed and created. Nicely done and thank you for your support.
2021-5-18
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

As already written and suggested several times before, there should urgently be a dynamic home point function like with Litchi. I would say that for 95% of all my flights I don't stay in one location, but move, even walk or hike.
2021-5-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool story.  Very helpful tips.  
2021-5-19
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-19 04:18
Cool story.  Very helpful tips.

Thanks and thanks for watching!
2021-5-19
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jonny007 Posted at 5-18 23:26
As already written and suggested several times before, there should urgently be a dynamic home point function like with Litchi. I would say that for 95% of all my flights I don't stay in one location, but move, even walk or hike.

Agreed. I wonder why DJI doesn’t bother with a dynamic home point option?
2021-5-19
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-18 22:23
Hello there Steve. Good day and thank you for posting this interesting video you have filmed and created. Nicely done and thank you for your support.

Thanks for your support. Cheers!
2021-5-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

SCoutts Posted at 5-19 07:26
Thanks for your support. Cheers!

Hi there SCoutts. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always. Cheers. .
2021-5-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

SCoutts Posted at 5-19 07:25
Thanks and thanks for watching!

You're most welcome.  
2021-5-20
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

SCoutts Posted at 5-19 07:26
Agreed. I wonder why DJI doesn’t bother with a dynamic home point option?

I wonder how this should be done with Active Track. *) Let's say the drone follows me for 2 km, should I update the HP every 100 meters now? Because if I don't do that e.g have a cable defect between the RC and the mobile device, the drone flies back 2 km and I have to follow it. ;-)

*) e.g flyapp with Air2 or also dji go4 for older mavics
2021-5-20
Use props
fansb05bb589
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325725 ft
  • >>>
United States

Really good info....thanks
2021-5-20
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

fansb05bb589 Posted at 5-20 06:23
Really good info....thanks

Thanks for watching. Cheers!
2021-5-20
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jonny007 Posted at 5-20 04:44
I wonder how this should be done with Active Track. *) Let's say the drone follows me for 2 km, should I update the HP every 100 meters now? Because if I don't do that e.g have a cable defect between the RC and the mobile device, the drone flies back 2 km and I have to follow it. ;-)

I believe that the DJI Go 4 app had some kind of "dynamic home point" for Active Track but only for Active Track. It was an option that you had to turn on though. I could see that being beneficial, especially for a tracking situation.

In general though, I think some kind of "Always RTH to remote" option would be a good idea or at least prompt me when an RTH is triggered so I can choose.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that wanders around while flying.
2021-5-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the tip!
2021-5-21
Use props
SCoutts
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

You bet. Thanks for watching!
2021-6-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

jonny007 Posted at 5-20 04:44

"the drone flies back 2 km and I have to follow it."

Not if you select hover or land as an option instead of RTH.
2021-6-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

You can also set a spot on the map as HP. For example, the end of your journey. The parking spot where you put in your kayak. Then in a failsafe situation, you know where the drone will go.
2021-6-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

SCoutts Posted at 6-14 17:26
You bet. Thanks for watching!

You're welcome!
2021-6-14
Use props
Jake. A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

2023-3-14
Use props
HerbA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1209682 ft
United States

Great PSA.

I will NOT fly off until I hear that the home point has been set, and I almost NEVER walk around while it is in-flight.

That said, I did once start riding my bike while flying (hand-held controller no less) and realized RTH was not going to be an option, but it's good to know I can reset home along the way.
2023-3-15
Use props
HerbA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1209682 ft
United States

SCoutts Posted at 2021-5-20 12:13
I believe that the DJI Go 4 app had some kind of "dynamic home point" for Active Track but only for Active Track. It was an option that you had to turn on though. I could see that being beneficial, especially for a tracking situation.

In general though, I think some kind of "Always RTH to remote" option would be a good idea or at least prompt me when an RTH is triggered so I can choose.

I'm actually getting ready to buy this thing on Amazon, so yeah, roaming and updating is gonna' be key!

1-Bike.jpg
2023-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules