547 7 2021-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dji_romu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 792979 ft
France

Hi,
I was flying my mavic 2 pro under decent conditions ( RTH recorded, clear sky, no tricky obstacles, 28km/h wind, less than one kilometer in distance ) and suddenly had some weird disconnections.
I tried to fly back to my home point but it seems like the drone didn't responded like it should, like if he had no juice left while the battery was ok.
I'm on iphone 12. I tried the RTH since my GPS point was perfectly recorded but I saw on my radar the drone wasn't returning. I tried to turn off/on the DJI app, disconnect / reconnect the cable ( cable is not damaged or anything) . Nothing the connection was lost. I prayed for a safe landing.

I contacted DJI Support and here is their analyze :
For your case CAS-6396161-W4L2J5, we have finished the data analysis, and the result is as follows:

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode; It didn’t respond well to the pilot's commands due to the strong wind from the northwest;
2. Flight Time T=01:12, Relative Height H=140.7 m, Distance to Home Point D=39.4 m, the warning of strong wind appeared;
3. T=05:11, H=180.3 m, D=459.7 m, there was no pilot's input, the aircraft tilted forward for 18.5 degrees and tilted leftward for 21.6 degrees to resist the wind, but it was still blown away at the speed of 1.3 m/s, which indicated that there was strong wind affecting the aircraft;
4. T=07:51, H=175.8 m, D=653.2 m, RTH was triggered by the pilot, but the aircraft couldn't return home normally due to the strong wind; 28Km/h is too strong for a mavic 2 pro ?
5. T=08:35, H=138.2 m, D=730.2 m, the pilot pulled down the throttle stick, the flight record ended when the aircraft was descending.

According to the analysis, the incident was caused by an improper flight environment. Please do not fly the aircraft under high wind conditions.

The "strong" wind they're talking about was around 28km/h indicated by the weather app. Nothing crazy for a mavic 2 pro... I flew under way stronger wind and everything was fine. Yes I was slightly above the max height autorized but I took off down hill.

Like you can see I was flying less than one kilometer in distance and there were not any high rocks or anything to have connection problems.
I tried a rescue mission and went at the exact coordinates of the find my drone option but I found nothing. I stayed hours looking around the whole zone. The sound bip and flashlight options weren't working. Tried to rebind remote control and drone at the location also but nothing.

My drone is under warranty and I have the care refresh though I didn't found it so you know the rest of the story...
DJI proposed a 15% coupon code which I think is very light.

I read on forum some guys had also some connections issues with the last update and Iphone 12.
DJI saying it's because of the wind, but I flew under harsher conditions and never had any lost connection issue and never saw my drone struggling and not responding to my remote control.

Now I'm wondering, does anyone lost his drone in similar conditions ?
Only 15% coupon code is near outrageous : my drone is under warranty, I have the care refresh, I searched for hours around the last recorded point which wasn't the landing point but at 138m height...
"the flight record ended when the aircraft was descending."
Why ? If everything was working correctly it should have recorded till the landing. The battery had still juice, no obstacles or whatsoever to loose connection still I lost connection at a distance less than one kilometer... I can provide the weather forecast of the flying place if needed you'll see the wind wasn't crazy at all...

I'd like my case to be analyzed again taking all informations into account.
2021-5-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear about the accident with your drone. Regarding your doubts about the data analysis result, I'll help to forward it to our corresponding team, you also can reply back to our email, we'll keep following up on it. Thanks.
2021-5-19
Use props
Jackie-Gan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 457477 ft
Mexico

That's weird. 28 kph is 7.7m/s, and even the Mini 2 can handle 8-10 m/s.
2021-5-20
Use props
dji_romu
lvl.2
France

Jackie-Gan Posted at 5-20 06:20
That's weird. 28 kph is 7.7m/s, and even the Mini 2 can handle 8-10 m/s.

Exactly !

I got a DJI reply earlier today. They propose a 25% discount now...

They still think everything happened because of the wind : "In this flight, the moving direction and the attitude demonstrated that the aircraft was affected by the strong wind. In addition, the strong wind warning has popped up to remind the user. When this warning popped up, it indicated that the aircraft was affected by the strong wind and it is mostly suggested to lower the aircraft or trigger landing in time to reduce the wind velocity in case it blown away. The pilot can also refer to the Attitude Indicator in the App for the status of the aircraft during the flight."

Though in my opinion : I never experienced strange disconnections before my last update. Never saw my mavic 2 pro not responding to my remote control. I was less than one kilometer away which is a super short distance considering the high range of the 2 pro. Last GPS point recorded was at 134 meters height. Why ? The battery was still ok, It should have recorded till the emergency landing.
The emergency light and sound didn't worked either when I was looking for the drone.

I flew under way stronger wind and the drone responded perfectly to my RC. Something not right.
2021-5-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

dji_romu Posted at 5-20 06:40
Exactly !

I got a DJI reply earlier today. They propose a 25% discount now...

Our team will keep following up on your case until it resolved, please wait for the email update again. Thanks.
2021-5-20
Use props
dji_romu
lvl.2
France

Update, DJI answer on my case :
We also want to try our best to help you. That's why a 25% off discount was offered even the case is not covered under the warranty. In as much as we wanted to help, we regret to inform you that we are unable to assist with a new DJI Care Refresh service on your newly purchased aircraft or renew the old service. Thanks for your understanding.

You can choose not to transfer the remaining DJI Care Refresh to the new product, and buy a new DJI Care Refresh to this product if needed.

Regarding the accident:

The wind speed is changeable and different flights have different situations. The aircraft might fly with the wind before, but we cannot guarantee that it could fly tailwind every time. When the warning of high wind popped up on the app, it meant there was wind affecting the aircraft, and the pilot should lower the height of the aircraft or land the aircraft in case it was blown away.

The connection between the aircraft and the remote is not only decided by the distance as we've explained in the previous email, it was also related to the actual flight environment ( such as interference, terrain), the direction of the antenna would also affect it. The disconnection itself will not lead to the incident. Due to the strong wind, the aircraft could not return home normally against the wind.

We also want to know the exact location where the aircraft landed. However, the last recorded point in find my drone is the last recorded GPS coordinate before the flight record ended, but the subsequent position could not continue to record in the app after the record ended. The beeping and LED blinking function only works if the power was not cut off. As the flight record ended and the aircraft was affected by the wind, regretfully, it was unable to confirm the exact location of the aircraft.

We're sorry again for your loss.
Seems like I'm unfortunately part of the Drone randomly blown away club :-(
I understand they won't do anything much for me... For those reading me you'll know what to expect if you loose you're Mavic 2 Pro in similar condition.
Honestly Mavic 2 pro is super stable either wind or connection I never had any issues... That's why it's super strange.

Still waiting for the -25% coupon code it's been 2 days already.
2021-5-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

dji_romu Posted at 5-26 07:18
Update, DJI answer on my case :
We also want to try our best to help you. That's why a 25% off discount was offered even the case is not covered under the warranty. In as much as we wanted to help, we regret to inform you that we are unable to assist with a new DJI Care Refresh service on your newly purchased aircraft or renew the old service. Thanks for your understanding.

Hi there. We checked your case and noticed that the coupon was sent to your email address. Please check the email.
2021-5-27
Use props
dji_romu
lvl.2
France

Yes indeed thank you.
For those who will read my post : be careful with the last firmware ( April 2021 ) if you're on iphone 12 like me,  something might be wrong and causing disconnections between Iphone / RC / Mavic 2.
Never saw my mavic 2 pro struggling and not respond to command before that. And I'm talking about super decent conditions here : less than 1 km distance, small wind (28km/h ) that's it.
2021-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules