Loop Recording
14056 11 2021-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bbalzer
lvl.4
United States

Is there an option for the loop recording segments to merge together and not be 1 minute files?

I was fishing this morning and did 5 minute loop recording and noticed when I got home, there were dozens of files and realized they were all broken down 1 minute at a time.

I was hoping that I would end up with 5-6 minute files and not 1 minute files.

I was reading the manual but I believe loop recording was introduced later and not upon release.  I purchased this camera recently so I apologize my knowledge isn't completely sound on it but I did try to do some looking around.  I'm wondering if this is just how loop recording works for all action cameras and maybe I'm just the new guy when it comes to this.

Thanks for your guidance!
2021-5-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, bbalzer. Thanks for reaching out! You can choose the period for loop recording. An according prompt will appear if the storage space is insufficient. If you choose infinite as the recording period, then the Osmo Action's recording principle is similar to that of car dash cams, and the camera will continue to record until the battery level becomes low or until you stop recording. If the storage space becomes insufficient during recording, then the new clips will overwrite the old clips.

For example, when recording a five-minute loop recording video, the video will keep recording after five minutes, but only the latest five minutes of video will be saved. For an infinite mode video, the video will keep recording, and the new clips will overwrite the previous clips continuously once the storage space has become insufficient.

Note: Only clips of the currently recording video will be overwritten. Other video clips will not be overwritten.

For reference: If you choose five-minute, 20-minute, or one-hour mode to record loop videos, then the actual video may longer than five minutes, 20 minutes, or one hour.
2021-5-22
Use props
bbalzer
lvl.4
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-22 00:00
Hi, bbalzer. Thanks for reaching out! You can choose the period for loop recording. An according prompt will appear if the storage space is insufficient. If you choose infinite as the recording period, then the Osmo Action's recording principle is similar to that of car dash cams, and the camera will continue to record until the battery level becomes low or until you stop recording. If the storage space becomes insufficient during recording, then the new clips will overwrite the old clips.

For example, when recording a five-minute loop recording video, the video will keep recording after five minutes, but only the latest five minutes of video will be saved. For an infinite mode video, the video will keep recording, and the new clips will overwrite the previous clips continuously once the storage space has become insufficient.

Thanks for the response.

My main question regarding loop recording though was how the files are handled once you put them onto a PC.

I see in the DJI Mimo app, they show the clips in the 5-6 minute segments together. However when I plug the camera into my PC, it shows five 1 minute clips that go together.  So there are 5 separate files for that 5 minute loop.

As you can see below, I should've had maybe 10-12 5 minute files but instead I have dozens of 1 minute files because each minute for the 5 minute loop is broken down into a 1 minute file.  Is this expected behavior?

I've outlined what would be a normal 5 minute loop but instead I see 6 files that relate to that loop when I plug it into my PC.

2021-5-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

bbalzer Posted at 5-22 05:56
Thanks for the response.

My main question regarding loop recording though was how the files are handled once you put them onto a PC.

Thanks for the additional information. We have confirmed that this is normal. When set to 5 minutes, 5+1 videos will be generated, each of which is 1 minute. Set to 20 minutes, 4+1 videos will be generated, each of which is 5 minutes. Set to 1 hour, 12+1 videos will be generated, each of which is 5 minutes.
2021-5-22
Use props
jp_ac
New

Canada

" Note: Only clips of the currently recording video will be overwritten. Other video clips will not be overwritten."

I get why you do this, but it makes it irritating to use as a dashcam. Every time you start up you'll have to go back and delete old clips to make space.
Would be nice if it did delete the oldest loop recording.
2021-12-20
Use props
djiuser_vUZ2BPRFCPYC
New

Sri Lanka

bbalzer Posted at 2021-5-22 05:56
Thanks for the response.

My main question regarding loop recording though was how the files are handled once you put them onto a PC.
same problem to me i select 5 minutes loop recording option.then after complete 45 minutes  stop recording and  i check my storage. not available 45 minutes loop recording file.1st 5 minutes loop recording are available but other 40 minutes loop recording not available..sd card space available..what is the problem..
2022-3-12
Use props
WICreekPaddler
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_vUZ2BPRFCPYC Posted at 3-12 12:01
same problem to me i select 5 minutes loop recording option.then after complete 45 minutes  stop recording and  i check my storage. not available 45 minutes loop recording file.1st 5 minutes loop recording are available but other 40 minutes loop recording not available..sd card space available..what is the problem..

That is how loop recording is set to work.  If you set it for 5 minutes, it will only save the last 5 minutes when you stop the recording.  (Each clip will be 1 minute but there will be 5... if you setup loop recording for 20 minutes, you will only get the last 20 minutes when you stop and there will be 4, 5 minute clips)

That is the premise of loop recording, you only want it to save the last 5, 20, 60 minutes (whatever loop recording option you picked) when you stop it.  Otherwise you would utilize the normal recording functionality.
2022-3-13
Use props
djiuser_GZIAkfQn1y1C
New
United States

So if I am loop recording and let's just use fishing as an example, what setting would I choose if I only want it to record when I catch a fish?

Let's say I have it set to 5 min. Then I catch a fish. Do I stop the recording and then restart it to protect that file? And if I catch another i stop and restart again and both files are protected?

This is assuming that it only overwrites what is currently being recorded and not the clips of the fish I caught because I stopped the recording?
2023-1-31
Use props
WiscoPaddler
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_GZIAkfQn1y1C Posted at 1-31 11:11
So if I am loop recording and let's just use fishing as an example, what setting would I choose if I only want it to record when I catch a fish?

Let's say I have it set to 5 min. Then I catch a fish. Do I stop the recording and then restart it to protect that file? And if I catch another i stop and restart again and both files are protected?

Yes, when you stop the recording you will have saved the last 5 minutes.

So if you are fishing and have loop recording set to 5 minutes and 35 minutes later you catch a fish.  As soon as you stop the recording, you will have a recording for 5 minutes from minute 30 to minute 35.  

If you find yourself taking more time to reel the fish in and release it, change it to 20 minutes.  I found when I was fishing in my kayak, 5 minutes was good enough.  
2023-1-31
Use props
djiuser_Y6MtQz7oIEyB
lvl.1
Slovenia

Hello.
I'm new to this field, I'm interested in what it means if I have loop recording set to off, or to max.
As certain individuals have already stated, I had the same problem when I "wanted" to record my motorcycle trip, I had it set to 5 min loop recording to make the recordings shorter, but in the end I came to the realization that I had  only the last 5 minutes were recorded on the sd card, which was very disappointing.
From the previous camera, which was significantly cheaper, I was just used to it dividing my trip nicely into 5-minute shots.  With this camera, the osmo action 3, I unfortunately realized that the process of recording, saving images to the card, is a completely different story, unfortunately, I realized in an ugly way, with the loss of most of the trip.  Thanks for your reply.
2023-5-4
Use props
Dirt Muppet
lvl.1
Canada

Good info to watch for. My question is what is the process to start video recording in loop and telling the camera to pay attention and actually start keeping what I want to keep until I stop recording.

Example: sitting in my kayak for a couple hours on 5 minute loop on, I then hook up on a fish (at this point I'd like the camera to keep the previous 5 minutes) and continue to record until I've landed the fish and the subsequent who ha that follows.  Can this be done on the Action 4 as the user manual instruction is pretty skinny with this section.
2023-9-17
Use props
fans1f9a4e38
lvl.1

United States

Dirt Muppet Posted at 9-17 06:57
Good info to watch for. My question is what is the process to start video recording in loop and telling the camera to pay attention and actually start keeping what I want to keep until I stop recording.

Example: sitting in my kayak for a couple hours on 5 minute loop on, I then hook up on a fish (at this point I'd like the camera to keep the previous 5 minutes) and continue to record until I've landed the fish and the subsequent who ha that follows.  Can this be done on the Action 4 as the user manual instruction is pretty skinny with this section.

Looks like the answer is to STOP the recording to save the most recent loop.

I can see that if you forget to "stop the loop", your action shot will be overridden and lost.
2023-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules