Mini 2: 2.4, 5.8 or Dual band?
17380 16 2021-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dr Vallo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59167 ft
Italy

Hello everyone, I apologize for the trivial question, but I am a new aspiring drone pilot, and I would like to understand which is the best option.
I have a new DJI Mini 2 European version, and today I did some flight tests with the drone.
I noticed that trying to change frequency (with channel choice set to Auto), my drone starts to lose signal already after a few meters (about 200 / 300m), while I have seen some videos on the net that some users manage to fly the own Mini 2 for about 2 / 3 Km before the drone starts losing signal.
At this point I started wondering if I am actually choosing the right type of frequency.
Can you tell me which is the best option? Is dual band better than choosing a single frequency? Is 2.4 Ghz better than 5.8Ghz if I fly in the open field?
Is choosing the auto channel option a right choice?

I accept any advice from you on how I can improve my settings to fly my Mini 2 as far as possible without immediately losing the signal.

Thank you!
2021-5-23
Use props
Miguel Leitao
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977067 ft
Portugal

First you need to understand that your drone can operate in two modes: FCC mode ( used in USA and CANADA) and CE mode (rest of the world).
Since you are in Italy you will have de CE version. The problem is CE version as a much more reduced range than FCC.
The majority of videos you see on youtube regarding long range flights with DJI drones are made in FCC mode.As for 2.4ghz vs 5ghz i will leave that setting on Auto since the drone is allways scaning for the best signal possible.
2021-5-23
Use props
Dr Vallo
lvl.1
Italy

Yes, I knew of the two versions, and I am also aware that even buying a drone with FCC mode, the "power" would be immediately decreased automatically as soon as the GPS sees that the drone is for example in Europe.
The fact is that the videos I saw were shot in Italy by Italian users (therefore from my country) and consequently it seems strange to me that even using the CE mode the drone immediately starts to lose signal after "a few" meters.
Despite this I return to my main question, and would like to know which of the three frequency choices is recommended to achieve a greater range.
2021-5-23
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

hi Dr Valo,

a lot depends on the area where you are flying. On the 2.4 band you will have a lot of concurrence of WiFi. Since 5 GHz is less spread at the moment, you will get a better signal. But, 5 GHz doesn't go as far as a 2.4 GHz signal.  Lots of concrete, steel, water (in trees) can all influence the range.

Be sure you point the antenna, in the smart phone holder, towards the drone.
I would suggest to put the frequency select on automatic. The controller will try to use the best frequency for the environment you are flying in.

I didn't try to fly extremely far, as that is not my goal. Although the furthest I flew was about 1km without loss of signal. I must confess I do not have much WiFi signals around my house. Just my own.

If you doubt the range of your drone and transmitter try to fly somewhere else and see if you got a different experience.

Maybe there's a lot of congestion of wireless signals in the area where you tried to fly.
2021-5-23
Use props
Corinne.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6555 ft
Hong Kong

I recommend you use 'auto' which is possible to adaptively switch to the optimal frequency band and channel according to the signal interference of the flight environment. And you can test in different places to see if there is wireless signal interference in the area where you tried to fly before.
2021-5-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Dr Vallo. Good day and thank you for reaching out. In general, with no interference, you should do better with 2.4 GHz.  If you are in urban places with more interference, you may very well do better with 5.8 GHz. Thank you.
2021-5-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dr Vallo Posted at 5-23 10:40
Yes, I knew of the two versions, and I am also aware that even buying a drone with FCC mode, the "power" would be immediately decreased automatically as soon as the GPS sees that the drone is for example in Europe.
The fact is that the videos I saw were shot in Italy by Italian users (therefore from my country) and consequently it seems strange to me that even using the CE mode the drone immediately starts to lose signal after "a few" meters.
Despite this I return to my main question, and would like to know which of the three frequency choices is recommended to achieve a greater range.

When Ive flown in Tuscany I always leave it on auto and will easily get 2000m of range and long as you dont go behind a hill.
2021-5-23
Use props
Dr Vallo
lvl.1
Italy

Thanks everyone for the answers!
All clear, but I have one last question: Is it therefore not recommended to select the "Dual band"? Or do I get better benefits than selecting a specific band?
2021-5-24
Use props
yogi053
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7956778 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there, as others have said your machine is best left in Auto as scanning is carried out for best channel withe lowest interference. Other best advice is try flying in other open spaces for better results.(Try a test of each frequency on manual and then Auto. and record your results).
Most of all, Enjoy! have fun, Stay safe!
2021-5-24
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Dr Vallo Posted at 5-24 08:30
Thanks everyone for the answers!
All clear, but I have one last question: Is it therefore not recommended to select the "Dual band"? Or do I get better benefits than selecting a specific band?

Best is indeed to leave it on dual.

2,5 GHz goes further than 5GHz but is more disturbed by 2,5 GHz wifi transmission in urban areas. Putting it in 2,5 or 5 GHz only might be an option when the transmissing is constantly swapping and causing latency on the video signal.

I leave it in auto mode and didn't had problems with it.
2021-5-24
Use props
Dr Vallo
lvl.1
Italy

JohnDG Posted at 5-24 17:32
Best is indeed to leave it on dual.

2,5 GHz goes further than 5GHz but is more disturbed by 2,5 GHz wifi transmission in urban areas. Putting it in 2,5 or 5 GHz only might be an option when the transmissing is constantly swapping and causing latency on the video signal.

Thanks so much for the clarification!
2021-5-25
Use props
Roberson Ricardo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3611440 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I tested the drone stopped inside the house between several walls moving the camera. The only signal the drone received was in AUTO / 2.4Ghz. In dual band the signal was weak.  (Google translator)
2022-8-31
Use props
fateofangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

please dual only
2022-8-31
Use props
djiuser_pXGxiCYkxZuM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 229104 ft
Sri Lanka

Ive got my drone up and running smoothly for past whole year until last month right after a firmware update in the drone, i cannot fly it much more than 300m…after asking few people i got to know that my board must be replaced, for now i can only fly in 2.4ghz mode… if by any chance i switch it to 5.8 or dual band, i get an error message saying RC signal lost and the drone will auto RTH… i am really depressed about the fact of replacing my drone board
2022-11-23
Use props
thenuka
lvl.1
Flight distance : 264603 ft
Sri Lanka

djiuser_pXGxiCYkxZuM Posted at 2022-11-23 01:23
Ive got my drone up and running smoothly for past whole year until last month right after a firmware update in the drone, i cannot fly it much more than 300m…after asking few people i got to know that my board must be replaced, for now i can only fly in 2.4ghz mode… if by any chance i switch it to 5.8 or dual band, i get an error message saying RC signal lost and the drone will auto RTH… i am really depressed about the fact of replacing my drone board

I have the same issue, I can only fly in 2.4 GHz, but that won't give me a big range like before, I was able to fly for more than 1km without any issues. But now I can't go past 50m. Dual Band is freaking useless. Won't even connect. We're all stuck with this issue, cuz dji won't fix this and they straight up scammed us ! I'm done buying their products.
Firmware 1.06.0200
iPhone 8
App version 1.9.1

2023-1-6
Use props
Rev179
lvl.1
Flight distance : 258947 ft
Italy

I've left it on auto and with no problem in south of italy reached over 1.5km with just one signal bar lost.
2023-3-29
Use props
djiuser_tPSpZ8vKh0TT
New
Flight distance : 235354 ft
Malaysia

Hello! For you guys that can only fly in 2.4ghz and suffer from disconnection in 5.8ghz, I'm having the same problem too. It seems that the 5.8ghz chip has been fried due to heat from firmware update or other reasons. My Mini 2 has performed flawlessly in past 8 months or so and I always leave it in dual band. Right after the update i keep getting disconnected before i realized the issue is with 5.8ghz, it will repeatedly disconnect even at 2 meters in front of me. There are many other users with the same problem. If you drone is under warranty, please send it in for repairs, I'm sending mine in today.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=&page=3
2023-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules