1741 22 2021-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have been thinking about buying a Pocket 2, mainly for making motion timelapses.
My iPhone just does not cut it for me.

Now I'm in debate weather or not to get the creator combo.
I know it is good value (I can do that math) but that is assuming you 'need' the accessoires that come with it.

I'm not interested in the wireless mic (I am planning on getting a wireless Rode mic that can work with my other camera systems as well).
I don't care about the small tripod.
So the only things that could be interesting are the 'do it all handle' and the wide lens.

I think the wide lens is a nice one, but the 'do it all handle' is something I'm really trying to wrap my head around.
Is that really a useful accessoire (and if so, why?)
Rememer, I'm probably going to use the P2 for motion timelapses most of the time.
(that is what I think anyway)
I think (feel) I can get away with the small screen in those cases, but I'm not sure how other users feel!
2021-5-25
Use props
Marty Markoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Pocket 2 has a standard tripod connector on the bottom. All you need for timelapse is a small tripod like this:
https://www.amazon.com/JOBY-GorillaPod-325-Compact-Flexible/dp/B074WC6W5H/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwLKFBhDPARIsAPzPi-JYOgVQYz6EBAdH0G7LuyXWMtxTKRlcYwmGUCdxA8i818CWWnrx8ZEaAk5KEALw_wcB&hvadid=182584446167&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9004242&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12425328144308615359&hvtargid=kwd-62221217336&hydadcr=18476_9831605&keywords=gorilla+tripod+for+camera&qid=1621941440&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOUo2S0tXNTFRMFhEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTg3NTAyMUVUQUNDQTVDNVZFRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTQ4NjQxMlE3MjNVSzhZVENaSyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
2021-5-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Marty Markoe Posted at 5-25 03:20
The Pocket 2 has a standard tripod connector on the bottom. All you need for timelapse is a small tripod like this:
https://www.amazon.com/JOBY-GorillaPod-325-Compact-Flexible/dp/B074WC6W5H/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwLKFBhDPARIsAPzPi-JYOgVQYz6EBAdH0G7LuyXWMtxTKRlcYwmGUCdxA8i818CWWnrx8ZEaAk5KEALw_wcB&hvadid=182584446167&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9004242&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12425328144308615359&hvtargid=kwd-62221217336&hydadcr=18476_9831605&keywords=gorilla+tripod+for+camera&qid=1621941440&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyOUo2S0tXNTFRMFhEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTg3NTAyMUVUQUNDQTVDNVZFRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTQ4NjQxMlE3MjNVSzhZVENaSyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thanks. I have something similar.
Quite old and worn a bit, but it does the job.
Do you have the 'do it all handle' ?
2021-5-25
Use props
RobCass
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I went through the same choice when I ordered mine and opted for just the standard version. I already had the Rode Wireless Go and the Pocket audio adapter so did not see the need to repurchase what I already had. Plus there are additional issue with the Audio in the Do-It-All handle (hissing) that has been reported and DJI still has no firmware available in the past four months.Also I do not like ot purchase items that only work with one intended system or version. Like you said the Rode Wirless Go will allow you to use it with the Pocket, and any other cameras you purchase down the road.
The Mini Tripod are like $15 on Amazon, and the base Pocket comes with a tripod adapter which I always leave on mine.
2021-5-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RobCass Posted at 5-25 05:31
I went through the same choice when I ordered mine and opted for just the standard version. I already had the Rode Wireless Go and the audio adapter so did not see the need to repurchase what I already had. Plus there are additional issue with the Audio in the package (hissing) that has been reported and DJI still has no firmware available in the past four months.

Thanks for your insight!
Looks like you made the choices that I am about to make
I'm btw not very pleased with the stock audio that the P2 seems to record.
There is a lot of digital noise (not sure what the technical term is) in the sound.
I have asked some youtubers if they were using the wireless mic, but that was not the case.
I'm not sure what they did to their sound processing engine, but it really has something weird to it.
2021-5-25
Use props
RobCass
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 5-25 05:34
Thanks for your insight!
Looks like you made the choices that I am about to make  
I'm btw not very pleased with the stock audio that the P2 seems to record.

No problem. Keep in mind you do need to purchase the official DJI audio adapter to use any other microphone for like $25. It is proprietary and only the official one works.
2021-5-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

RobCass Posted at 5-25 05:47
No problem. Keep in mind you do need to purchase the official DJI audio adapter to use any other microphone for like $25. It is proprietary and only the official one works.

Check.
€ 39,-
They sure know how to get some money out of our pockets (pun intended)
2021-5-25
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

Iphone timelapse will be much better than pocket timelapse, to add motion I suggest you buy osmo mobile gimbal OM-4 then use mimo app via iphone to shoot motionlapse that will give you better results, only downside would be no wider lens so for that you can buy add on lens for iphone. Creator combo is not much use for you as you can do same function with OM4 gimbal
2021-5-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ranjan Posted at 5-25 06:49
Iphone timelapse will be much better than pocket timelapse, to add motion I suggest you buy osmo mobile gimbal OM-4 then use mimo app via iphone to shoot motionlapse that will give you better results, only downside would be no wider lens so for that you can buy add on lens for iphone. Creator combo is not much use for you as you can do same function with OM4 gimbal

Thanks for the reply!
You don't like the Pocket 2 for motion timelapses?

Funny since I sold my Osmo Mobile (used with an iPhone SE) because the motion timelapse did not work as hoped / expected.
Both image quality and the whole process.

I have started multiple threads about it in the past, but nothing was fixed.
The output was super super compressed with lots of artifacts and the motion was not consistently fluid (my suspicion is that a gimbal by default is not made to be very good at this, as it was made to move and correct movement) and with the heavy phone on top, combined with a weird balance because of the odd tripod mount placement it did not take much wind to make it move.
Also I noticed there was a lot of times the process simply aborted with unexplainable errors. (again, many posts about this, also with support, nothing fixed)
To this day I have yet to see a decent Osmo Mobile Motion timelapse on youtube (not from the 'paid' youtubers that make tutorials etc. but from a real user) that shows they fixed these issues.

Of course, they might have solved it, but I have yet to find proof of that.
The 2nd Reason why I am thinking about a Pocket 2 instead of an Osmo Mobile is because I don't like to have my phone doing something for quite a long time (not being able to use it in the meantime). This drastically reduces the available time that I can make motion timelapses (since I usually need my phone)
So I thought the P2 might be a good option.
(I could buy a second phone, but that does not make much sense to me)

The 3rd reason I did not look at the Osmo Mobile again is that editing and working with iPhone files is not really working for me.
Somehow my editor just does not like them and stops working when I add more than a couple.
Also moving the files conveniently to my PC is a pain in the you know where.
So unless some can really convince me the quality is 10x better, I will consider getting one again.  
2021-5-25
Use props
Ranjan
lvl.4
India

Montfrooij Posted at 5-25 07:14
Thanks for the reply!
You don't like the Pocket 2 for motion timelapses?

Pocket 2 for timelapse has its own pros & cons

1. Timelapse and Motionlapse are only limited to 1080p where as iphone can shoot 2k & 4k I believe
2. Motionlapse without phone can only be set for 2 points, with phone & mimo app you can set 4 points (so you will engage the iphone for setting the motion)
3. Body of the gimbal must be completely straight and upright while shooting timelpase else it will fail to shoot, you cannot tilt up or down for shooting timelapse. Iphone can do that independently in whatever position.

Since you are buying mainly for motionlapse I suggested iphone with OM4 since that can do better results togeather or iphone independently.

For more pros & cons refer my thread post here Dji Pocket 2 limitation of features user should be aware of

2021-5-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Montfrooij. Good day and thank you for choosing the DJI Pocket 2 as your next camera. For additional reference I will post a link where in you can find the DJI Pocket 2's specifications, downloads and frequently asked questions. Again thank you for your support and keep filming.

https://www.dji.com/pocket-2/why-dji-pocket-2
2021-5-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The wifi capability might be useful.
2021-5-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ranjan Posted at 5-25 17:49
Pocket 2 for timelapse has its own pros & cons

1. Timelapse and Motionlapse are only limited to 1080p where as iphone can shoot 2k & 4k I believe

Thanks for your insight!

Iphone is 1080p for timelapses only. (native app)
That was actually my last frustration before giving up on the iPhone.

Not sure about the mimo app though.

I will make sure to read your post!

Still very hesistant to go for a osmo device, since I can't have my phone doing something for a very long time (it is also my work phone, so I need it for calling etc. )
So that makes it sort of useless for me as I don't want to buy another phone (they are waaaay to expensive for that)
2021-5-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-25 19:11
Hello there Montfrooij. Good day and thank you for choosing the DJI Pocket 2 as your next camera. For additional reference I will post a link where in you can find the DJI Pocket 2's specifications, downloads and frequently asked questions. Again thank you for your support and keep filming.

https://www.dji.com/pocket-2/why-dji-pocket-2

Thanks a lot!
2021-5-25
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

I personally was interested in the Creator Combo and the Do-It-All handle, because I was interested in the possibility to remotely control the starting/stopping of recording and gimbal head movement using an Android device. Not sure how essential those would be for your purposes though.

One possible enhancement to using an Android device with the Pocket 2 would be the ability to set more waypoints to motionlapse (if I remember right, the camera itself only allows two points, but with the Mimo app, you can set up to four). But it could be that this could also be achieved when the device is physically connected using the USB-C or Apple adapters.

For my use, the Do-It-All handle was a good investement. But you might not need it, thus having a longer battery life and saving money. It depends on the scenario.
2021-5-26
Use props
Spark4Me
lvl.2
Germany

I also bought the pocket 2 mostly for timelapse. I did not choose the creators combo, as I did not see any additional value for my use cases.

I dont think wide angle is useful for motion timelapse. If you want motion, the field of view should not be to wide.
Wifi is nice, but especially for timelapse, you will setup the camera and leave it alone for a long time. You can setup the camera with the phone attached (direct or via cable) and then remove the phone. No need for constant control via wifi.

Please be aware of the limited battery lifetime. For very long timelapse (like hours) you will need an external power supply, like a powerbank. There is one small downside on the pocket 2 (in contrast to osmo pocket), The pocket 2 drains very little power from the powerbank, most powerbanks i tried were switching off power supply during recording. Finally I found a powerbank which supports "trickle charge mode", which did the trick.
2021-5-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there Montfrooij. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy filming always. .
2021-5-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 5-26 08:47
I personally was interested in the Creator Combo and the Do-It-All handle, because I was interested in the possibility to remotely control the starting/stopping of recording and gimbal head movement using an Android device. Not sure how essential those would be for your purposes though.

One possible enhancement to using an Android device with the Pocket 2 would be the ability to set more waypoints to motionlapse (if I remember right, the camera itself only allows two points, but with the Mimo app, you can set up to four). But it could be that this could also be achieved when the device is physically connected using the USB-C or Apple adapters.

Thanks for the reply.
Do you have motion timelapse examples that I can watch?
I can only find a few online.
2021-5-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Spark4Me Posted at 5-26 12:37
I also bought the pocket 2 mostly for timelapse. I did not choose the creators combo, as I did not see any additional value for my use cases.

I dont think wide angle is useful for motion timelapse. If you want motion, the field of view should not be to wide.

Many thanks!
This confirms my idea!
Do you have motion timelapses I can watch?
Can't find too many online.

Good tip about the powerbank.
I hope mine does have this.

I'm a bit curious how you connect the cable with the tripod attached?
How do you manage to do this?
2021-5-26
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Montfrooij Posted at 5-26 23:53
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have motion timelapse examples that I can watch?
I can only find a few online.

Unfortunately I haven't tested out the motionlapse functions yet, but I will inform you if and when I do put something for people to see about the subject.

There is one thing that the Do-It-All handle does better than the standard tripod mount module:
With the standard tripod mount module, both the tripod thread and the USB-C charging port are at the bottom side of the Pocket 2, and very close to each other, making both recharging and using a tripod simultaneously tricky or even impossible. Yet on the Do-It-All handle, the thread and the USB-C port are on different sides of the module, the thread being on the bottom and the USB-C port being on the side facing away from the user, thus making the simultaneous charging and tripod mounting much easier.

For this use scenario, the Do-It-All handle might still not be mandatory, as there are some other, third-party modules that change the location of the USB-C port, making simultaneous charging and tripod mounting easier.
2021-5-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

HGDC84 Posted at 5-27 04:47
Unfortunately I haven't tested out the motionlapse functions yet, but I will inform you if and when I do put something for people to see about the subject.

There is one thing that the Do-It-All handle does better than the standard tripod mount module:

Thanks. That confirms one of my doubts about the tripod mount.
I was very curious how people would charge and connect to a tripod.
I have been looking for other (non DJI) accessoires (ssst, don't tell DJI) and have found a couple that could do the trick indeed (and cost quite a lot less than the DIAH )
2021-5-27
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

What I use for motion lapse (hyperlapse) is my Osmo Action on a Hohem isteady 2 pro gimbal, since I can control the gimbal with Hohem app to go up/down and sideways + it can be operating in rain.
2021-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 5-31 04:39
What I use for motion lapse (hyperlapse) is my Osmo Action on a Hohem isteady 2 pro gimbal, since I can control the gimbal with Hohem app to go up/down and sideways + it can be operating in rain.

Thanks man!
Good to have more options!
2021-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules